Chapter 1

In Love and War: 2yeon (one-shot)

She should have noticed.

 

I should have been smarter.

 

But she was not to blame, she was not to blame for not noticing that something was wrong with her girlfriend, not to notice that every time they loved each other was more and more intense. Her friends told her that everything was going to be okay, that Jeongyeon would survive. But now it had been five months. Five months Naeyeon had not slept, five months she'd been staring desperately for her tomboy to come in with her cheerful smile ... it had been five months since Chaeyoung had come back and never looked into his face again.

 

Naeyeon was strange, little Son always treated her well, always liked her. But now ... she looked sad, seemed to hide something from Naeyeon.

 

 And that morning Naeyeon discovered it all.

 

She had awakened with the sunshine on her face. His heart was tight, just as he had been when Jeongyeon had gone to war.

 

He had not even had his coffee, just sat down on the couch and started to turn his television off, getting lost in thought. He thought about the war, about his beloved, he thought about the possibility that everything was fine.

 

Knock on the door was heard and her body froze. It had taken the beats to grow stronger for Naeyeon to get out of her state of alertness. She walked to the door and opened it, her hands shaking and she controlled herself so she would not collapse in tears. His heart ached.

 

Outside, an army officer was waiting to be taken care of by the resident.

 

The door opened and Naeyeon was sure he might faint at that moment, but he was strong, he knew there was something wrong with his mistress.

 

The man cleared his throat and lowered his head, in his hand was a brown old paper.

 

"Miss Yoo-Im, it is with regret that I give you my condolences, your wife was a lieutenant very honored in this war and fought to your last breath. The man said, his voice carrying immense sadness. He handed her the paper. "Her body will be brought out in two days' time for a dignified burial."

 

The man turned his back and Naeyeon dropped to his knees, the tears rolling down his face and his sobs were audible all over the block. The officer was surprised by the scene, there were few women who cried with such news, most of them were celebrating.

 

"She must really love the lieutenant," he thought as he turned his back and left.

 

TWO DAYS LATER

 

The burial had been worthy of a lieutenant. All the friends, soldiers who served with Yoo and the family were there. Even those who did not know much about the young lieutenant were present. Seoul was in mourning. The newspapers spoke of nothing but the Lieutenant's death and victory in the war against North Korea.

 

Neyeon was inconsolable, she held her lover's cold hands and her tears fell in a rush.

 

- My love ... I ... m-sorry, Jeong I'm sorry. And-I should- "she said through sobs and tears.

 

"You could not have done anything Nae," Chaeyeong's voice was heard behind her. Naeyeon did not bother to turn around.

 

"You knew, did not you?"

 

"Yes," said Son, "I knew. She died in my arms Nae, I was not fast enough, it was very fast. In one moment she was there, knocking everyone down and the other ... in the other she was in my lap with the uniform ax.

 

The little girl sighed when Naeyeon wept again and reached into her pocket.

 

"Here, she asked me to give you these two things." Chaeyoung handed her two objects: an old brown paper and a medal.

 

Naeyeon looked at the letter and the medal and sniffed, his face still wet.

 

- her initiation medal. Chaeyoung, I ... I have to tell you something. For you and Mina.

 

 - What....?

 

- Later.

 

       

 

                                                                  ....

 

Naeyeon came into the house feeling strange. It was common for the house to be noisy, but now everything had changed ... she should wait four months to marry her again to have the same joy as always. He sat down on the couch and put his hands to his head. Her sadness seemed to be infinite. Two beats were heard.

 

- Come in, it's open.

 

The couple entered with hesitant steps. Mina sat down on the couch facing her friend while his wife prostrated behind her.

 

"What did Nae want to tell us?" Mina asked quietly.

 

"I ... I, I'm pregnant Mina," Naeyeon said.

 

Mina's eyes widened, as did Chaeyoung and took her friend's hands.

 

- Nae ... how? When? Mina was too surprised to think of anything.

 

- I was going to tell Jeong when she came back, but ... - the tears fell again - she will never come back.

 

Nae ... how many months? - Chaeyoung asked

 

- Five.

 

Chaeyoung held a curse at the back of his throat.

 

- We'll help you, we'll take care of you. - Chaeyoung said - my nephew or niece receives a lot of love and affection from my family.

 

Naeyeon smiled, shaking her head.

 

"You ... could you spend the night here?" He asked, "my record has not fallen yet.

 

The couple agreed.

 

4 MONTHS LATER

 

The screams of Naeyeon and Mina could be heard on the other street if it were possible. The waiting room of the hospital was crowded with friends and relatives. The delivery would be together because Son should accompany the two women. Little Son was already desperate. His niece and daughter were being born, it was too much for her to bear, she was about to faint.

 

The first cry was heard and then stopped. Naeyeon stopped screaming and smiled.

 

- Miss Son? - Chaeyoung looked at the doctor - his niece was born.

 

Son sighed. Soon a second cry was heard, but it did not stop until the nurse took the baby to the bath and then gave it to her mother. Chaeyoung first approached Mina. She ran her hand over her daughter's head, where the thin hair was growing. He gave a passionate kiss to his wife and smiled.

 

"Welcome to the world, Son Myoui Jihyo. He said giving a kiss to her daughter's head.

 

- Love, go see Nae. Mina asked.

 

Chaeyoung went to the next bed and his smile grew wider. Naeyeon held his niece and had a huge smile on his lips.

 

"Chae, look ... she's Jeong's face." Happiness was on Naeyeon's face. "She's Jeongyeon as a whole."

 

Chaeyoung approached and took the niece in his lap.

 

- Have you chosen the name yet? - He asked

 

- Yes. Yoo Im Somi

 

- welcome to the world, Yoo Im Somi - Chaeyoung said

 

 

 

SOME YEARS LATER

 

Somi and Jihyo walked side by side through the graveyard. They were in a relationship for a few months, and now they were there to share the same pain. The pain of losing a mother and a mother-in-law.

 

Naeyeon had died of tuberculosis after Somi told him that he was dating Jihyo. Already Mina had died of depression upon receiving the worst news of her life: Chaeyoung had died in the war.

 

The four friends were buried together side by side.

 

"I love you," Somi said as he placed a flower in the four tombs. Jihyo repeated the act. "I hope they're right there on the other plane." Too bad you could not see your grandchildren here or interact with them. She turned to the grave of her Appa and her mother-in-law. "Sorry for the irresponsibility.

 

Jihyo knelt in front of his mother's grave.

 

"Omma, Appa ... I love you.

 

A chill breeze passed them shaking their hair and the sound of four voices together said "we love you too"

 

 

 

Up there, the two couples watched their daughters distance themselves from their graves, happy to have fulfilled the mission imposed on them: to be happy