Let Me Love You

Serendipity

The moment he rounded the stairwell and saw that they had to go through a bag check just to enter the bar, Jin already knew he was not going to like the place.

“You should come with us, they said. It’ll be fun, they said” Jin mumbled sullenly to himself as the group of friends began to ascend the last flight of steps that would take them to their destination for the night: a retro arcade-themed bar.

Jin lifted his gaze from the ground, only to see that Taehyung was standing a bit off to the side of the stairs and was waiting for him to catch up with an arm outstretched and an easy smile on his lips. Jin returned a small smile, walking to his side to join the end of the queue to enter the bar and Taehyung’s arm instantly fell to his waist in a loose hold like it was the only rightful place to be.

Jin felt just a little bit better, as if Taehyung’s touch was anchoring him. He figured he should try to make an effort and have fun. It was Friday after all, and he only got to meet up with these friends – of course, with the exception of Taehyung – so rarely now since they were all grown adults working hard to keep their heads above the water in the rat race.

When they finally got through the queue at the entrance, Jin frowned, feeling even more uncomfortable and out of place than before. The place reminded him more of a club than anything else, perhaps only with the exception of flashing strobe lights and a dance floor. It was crowded, chaotic and loud. He was sure they would have to shout over the music in order to hear each other.

They followed Namjoon’s lead and found a table with high stools near the front, where a live band was performing a rendition of What Makes You Beautiful on the stage. A server quickly approached their table and presented them with menus. Jin was glad that this at least meant they didn’t have to jostle with all the people crowding around the bar counter in order to shout their orders.

While the others were looking over the menu, the oldest of the group took the chance to survey the bar. On the other side of the room, where the bar counter was, were many arcade game machines lined up against one wall. Most of them would likely not be found in arcades these days anymore as newer and better games have long replaced them. This also probably explained why most of the patrons he could see were a bit older than the teenagers one would expect to find in a place like this. They would be given tokens for every drink ordered which they can use to play on the machines. There was also the more conventional beer pong and a pool table in the middle of the room.

Jin now understood why Hoseok had suggested this place when they were planning to meet up. In their little group, there were some who loved music, and some who loved games. Jin himself, in fact, enjoyed both. He just wasn’t a fan of loud places. Jin belonged to quiet libraries, quaint cafés bustling with white noise, perhaps even his claustrophobic office cubicle. But he was certainly not one for loud environments like this, where he felt like the bass was shaking him to his bones. The noise and the chaos made him feel a little antsy, to be honest.

Still. They have not met up in almost half a year and that was half a year too long. With the exception of Yoongi, everyone else was present. There was Hoseokie, Namjoonie, Jiminie, Jungkookie, and of course Taehyungie, and everyone seemed to be having a good time. Jin was honestly really thankful; with the stresses of being an adult and just life in general weighing down upon them everyday, he was glad that everyone was still trying hard to stay in touch with one another. It didn’t feel that long ago when he had met freshman Jungkook in the Music and Drama Club clubroom for the first time, and now the youngest was already recently promoted to become one of the team leaders in his department.

“Hey, that looks like fun! Let’s go play!” Jimin exclaimed excitedly, pointing at the beer pong table illuminated by blue neon lights. He pulled Hoseok and Jungkook along to ask the other group of men at the table if they could join their game.

Namjoon remained at the table, his eyes towards the stage, singing along to the lyrics.

“The singer looks really cute! Do you think she’s single?” Namjoon leaned in closer to the table to ask, but he still had to raise his voice considerably.

“Weren’t you interested in that new History teacher you were talking about?” Taehyung asked, eyebrows raised.

“She has a boyfriend.” Namjoon shrugged and gave an ‘ohwell’ look.

“You can ask her yourself later during their break!” Jin chuckled, cupping his palm around his mouth to answer in equal volume. Already, he could feel his throat start to hurt from the strain. Add alcohol on top of that and it was a sure recipe for a sore throat.

Jin shifted his gaze to Taehyung, who was in the seat beside him. The younger had focused his attention back to the performance on stage, and Jin found himself smiling at how adorable he looked grooving to the music.

Maybe he had sensed his gaze, or maybe he simply wanted to say something; Taehyung turned his head, catching Jin’s eyes fully and flashing one of those grins that the older so loved. His expression was soft and there was such tenderness in his eyes that Jin felt like he could melt under that look.

“When is Yoongi-hyung coming?” Taehyung tapped Namjoon on his shoulder and asked. His question only earned a shrug from said man.

“He hasn’t replied to my text since earlier. He’s probably still in the studio working on something.” Namjoon was shouting until the music slowly faded out as the song ended, and he began talking at only a slightly louder voice. “The kids he’s producing for are expected to make their debut at the end of the year so he’s been staying late writing and composing.”

Taehyung nodded in understanding, a small pout hanging on his lips. Yoongi always worked too hard when it came to music. He had always been this way even back in school, when he used to be the one who came up with all the original pieces for the club’s plays and musicals. Yoongi was probably under a lot of stress as the future of a bunch of kids more or less lay on his shoulders, but Jin knew that Taehyung wished their resident grandpa could be here with them. As did he.

When Namjoon turned back to the stage as the first notes of another song began, Taehyung turned his head to Jin again, his hand finding his way to the older’s that was resting on his thigh under the table. Taehyung laced their fingers together in the most well-practiced, natural manner and rubbed his thumb over the back of Jin’s smaller hand.

The simple action made Jin’s heart brim, but he only quirked his eyebrows in question. Taehyung had always been the touchier one in their relationship, but Jin wondered if there was something else on the younger’s mind.

“Are you having a good time?” Taehyung’s warm breath ghosted over his ear and Jin felt goose bumps break on one side of his arm. He could hear the smile in his boyfriend’s tone and it made him want to kiss the younger, but it would probably be quite rude to publicly display their affection in front of their friends, even if it was only Namjoon. So Jin only gave him a half-hearted smile and their hands a little squeeze because no, he couldn’t exactly say he was having a good time but he didn’t want to be a spoilsport either. Especially when everyone else was clearly enjoying themselves.

The beer pong trio returned to the table when their food and drinks arrived and they took a selfie which Namjoon was going to send to Yoongi to tempt him to ditch work and join them. Hoseok and Jimin started sharing interesting stories about the dance school they co-owned. Hoseok was in charge of hip-hop and street dances while Jimin headed the contemporary dance classes, and their slots were always fully booked.

Soon, it got all too loud at once with everyone straining their voices trying to hear each other over the loud music and Jin tried to tune everything out. He let go of Taehyung’s hand in favour of texting, or rather disturbing, Yoongi.

 

To: Yoongi

Yah, are you not coming? There are basketball machines here too y’know! Are you not going to come here and show the lot of them how to write the words ‘basketball’?!

 

He waited… and waited… but the ‘1’ in the Kakao Talk chat window did not disappear and he figured Yoongi was too caught up in his work to even check his phone.

Jin pouted, turning his attention back to the table. He leaned his head on Taehyung’s shoulder for a little bit, starting to feel kind of drowsy. He was always especially tired on Friday nights, what with the fatigue accumulated from the work week finally crashing into him all at once.

The conversation at the table gradually died down, seeing as how much effort it took for them to be able to hear over the noise level in the bar. It was clearly not the best place for a catch-up as the group opted to listen to the live band instead.

Jin’s phone vibrated, signaling a text message. He lifted his head from its place on Taehyung’s shoulder, unlocked his phone and saw that it was from Yoongi.

 

To: Jin-hyung

Ugh hyung, I want to quit my job

 

What? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ What are you talking about, you love your job

 

I can’t believe that this is our first gathering in 300 years and I can’t be there

I’m so frustrated I could kick something right nowㅡㅡ

 

Oh… ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Chill, Yoongi-chi! We can always meet up again~

 

I’m sorry hyungㅜ

Please tell the rest I’m sorry and I’ll arrange another meet-up for us soon. Promise! ㅜㅜㅜ

 

Jin tapped Jungkook, who was sitting opposite him, and passed his phone to him. He signaled for the youngest to do the same and that was how his phone, and essentially Yoongi’s message, went one round around the table and ended with Taehyung. Jin observed how each of them had a disappointed expression, or a little pout on their lips upon reading the message, and it was just so precious. Jimin even huffed a little, fishing out his own phone presumably to text Yoongi to complain. It was nothing serious, probably just kind of like a cute grumbling or whining if you will. This told him how even though they could be quite distant physically now, they were all still so close in heart.

They sat for a while more, each of them sidling away in groups from time to time to play at the different machines. What was left of their food had long gone cold; they had over-ordered thinking that Yoongi might join them and he would probably be starved. Hoseok had already finished his third beer while Taehyung’s first drink was still half full. He was never one for alcoholic drinks, the little baby, and Jin wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Hyung, do you want to go home?” Taehyung leaned close to him so he wouldn’t have to shout. At some point, Taehyung’s hand had found its way back to Jin’s and the steady of his thumb on the back of Jin’s hand was making him feel even sleepier. Jin’s eyes, however, widened in surprise at the younger’s question. It was just past midnight and they have only been here for a couple of hours. It wasn’t like Taehyung to want to leave so soon.

“Wae? It’s still early, and you don’t have work tomorrow.”

“Yeah, but I know you’re dead tired. Come on, let’s go, okay?” Taehyung smiled cutely at him, and well, how could Jin say no? It wasn’t even like he was really enjoying himself, other than the fact that his best friends were here. Otherwise, he didn’t think he would really revisit the place.

So they bid their farewells with promises of meeting up again soon hanging off their lips, hugging each of their friends with protests and more pouting from the others about how the night was still young and they met up so rarely now and how could they?! But Taehyung just smiled that little boxy smile of his and explained that he had a shoot early next morning and he didn’t want to oversleep so they decided to leave first. It was a lie, of course, and Jin didn’t know why they couldn’t just say that he was tired and wanted to go. Probably to prevent the others from teasing him about being old. Still, Jin was so grateful that they were going home in more ways than one, that he pecked Taehyung once on the cheek as they were leaving the bar.

 

*

 

“Go ahead and wash up, hyung. I’ll go after you.” Taehyung said as he was toeing off his shoes when they entered their home. Jin had, unsurprisingly, fell asleep the entire way on the cab ride home and had woken up with his head resting comfortably on Taehyung’s shoulder, their arms entangled.

“Love you, baby.” Jin kissed his cheek again as he passed the younger to go into their shared room for his change of clothes.

Taehyung sauntered into the room after, grabbing the portable speaker that Jin had gifted him last birthday from the shelf and switched it on. His hand flicked, swiped and scrolled nimbly on his phone’s screen as he selected a song to play. Taehyung had all kinds of playlists for all kinds of moods and right now, he was in a chill vibes kind of mood. Plus, it was late and they were both tired so nothing too noisy or upbeat.

He put the volume on low as he selected IU’s Through the Night and lay down on their soft, furry rug. The soothing music washed over his senses and before he knew it, consciousness had slipped away from him gently.

Taehyung woke up again at the sound of the door to their room opening, presenting a freshly showered Jin in his oversized pajamas. He smiled up at the older fondly while Jin laughed a little at the sight of him sprawled on the floor.

“Why’re you lying on the floor?” Jin crossed the room and extended his hand, pulling Taehyung to his feet. “Off you go to the shower now, big boy.” He said, tapping Taehyung’s and steering him towards the direction of the bathroom.

Just as he had expected, Jin was already out cold on their bed by the time Taehyung was done with his shower, phone still in his hand. Lost Stars was playing through the speakers, and he smiled at the sight in front of him as he haphazardly towel-dried his hair, thinking about how he would probably never get tired of this: of going to sleep and waking up next to Jin for the rest of his life.

Quietly, he crept to the bed and eased himself into a sitting position in the space beside the sleeping male, trying his best to not wake the older up as he tended to be quite a light sleeper. Still, despite his best efforts, the dip of the mattress still caused Jin to stir, and he squinted at Taehyung with bleary eyes.

“Oh, Taehyung-ah... I made some honey lemon, have some before you go to sleep...” Jin mumbled sleepily, shifting himself so that his head was resting on Taehyung’s thigh.

Taehyung followed the direction that Jin had nodded in and found a glass of honey lemon water on their bedside table, and it was still warm, too. Funny how he had been so focused on Jin’s sleeping face earlier that he had not noticed the drink at all.

He was just wondering why Jin made the drink seemingly out of nowhere when the older started again, “I’m not sure about you, but my throat hurts like hell.”

Now that he mentioned, Taehyung thought that Jin’s voice did sound quite hoarse since they left the bar. It must have been because of all the shouting they had to do to hear each other. Taehyung himself felt alright, though. There was a dull strain at the back of his throat but nothing hurt too much.

“Thank you, baby.” A warmth spread in his chest as he leaned down to kiss Jin on his nose. Taehyung leaned back to enjoy the drink, as well as check his work email for his schedule and the concepts for the few shoots he had lined up for next week.

Jin smiled at him and started to play with his phone too, scrolling through his SNS and answering to the texts from his friends in their group Kakao chat.

The beginning notes of Serendipity flowed from the speakers and Taehyung’s lips instantly curled up; it was one of their favourite songs, but especially for the older.

“Oh, I love this one.” Jin mused as he always did and hummed along to the song, skipping the higher bits because of his sore throat. Taehyung ran his fingers through his boyfriend’s soft brown locks, feeling completely content.

Soon, he felt Jin’s actions become sluggish as his arm that was holding on to his phone began to droop slightly. Taehyung, who had been watching the older slip in and out of sleep for the last minute or so, held back a chuckle and reached for the device between his boyfriend’s hands before it could fall on his face.

“Jinnie, please sleep.” Taehyung placed the phone down on the bedside table. He kissed the elder’s closed lids, and finally his lips.

“You too, Tae.” Jin was smiling in that way that made his cheeks all squishy, his eyes closed and it was the most endearing thing on earth to Taehyung.

He lay down next to Jin, shifting their positions until they were both comfortable, and the older instantly snuggled closer to his side.

“Goodnight, baby.”

They drifted to sleep as the song began to fade out.

Let me love, let me love you.

 

----

Basically, grown BTS as adults working in their own fields. A bit of a friendship/comfort/uh.. not sure if I can call this fluff one-shot. I directly and indirectly wrote what each of them are/might be doing, which is what I thought might fit them based on however little I know. I'm also aware that everything is really... vanilla lmao. Yeah I tend to be like that a bit, ha.

Anyway, yeah. Serendipity is a masterpiece and it makes me feel things which is part of the reason I wrote the song into this. The feeling I really want to convey here is comfort, so I hope I managed to get that somehow!