kingdom come

loose pages

The breeze carries a foreign scent, Seulgi thinks as her white wings carry her over the pristine fields of Heaven.

————————

As her white wings carry her over the pristine fields of Heaven, Seulgi catches a whiff of a foreign scent, halting her movements. It reminds her of ash and soot—burning. That could only 

————————

“Seulgi, you wouldn’t believe what I saw when I was making my rounds!” Seungwan exclaims, b with a nervous sort of excitement.

Seulgi only looks at her with furrowed eyebrows, mouth set in a small frown due to confusion. What was so important with what Seungwan saw that they had to retreat to their quarters, ensuring that no one else is privy to Seungwan’s revelation?

“A black feather, Seulgi, black!” Seungwan shout-whispers. “Do you know what that means? A fallen has gotten past the gates of heaven!”

The fallen ones—Seulgi has heard of them, of course. Those who were once angels, now banished from the eternal gardens of heaven, all because of the only sin their kind can commit: falling in love with their human charge. It was the biggest taboo for an angel’s feelings towards the one that they guarded to go beyond the platonic, which is why only the older angels—the wiser and more experienced among their ranks—are the only ones who got appointed to watch over the mortals. It would take a few more centuries before Seulgi would reach that age, much less gain that wisdom, having only been an angel for a few decades. Yet, love is still the most powerful force there is, just as the Highest says, and it cannot be escaped by anyone, not even the finest heaven can offer.

Thoughts drifting back to their conversation, Seulgi asks, “Are you really sure it’s a black feather that you saw, Seungwan? It’s impossible for the fallen to go past our gates. They shouldn’t even be able to go near it!”

Her best friend just pulls her arm and draws Seulgi closer, answering her question by taking out the scandalous feather. “See?”

A sense of dread washes over her

————————

[a/n]

inspired by red velvet's kingdom aka one of the best songs of all time. this is really messy bc i couldn't figure out how to start this :c