ch07 of Ablaze

loose pages

She took a step back, an arm held back behind her to protect the one who was with her. She momentarily took her eyes off of her opponent and spared a quick glance behind. A dead end. They were cornered.

"Just stay behind me, don't move," she told the person behind her, facing her opponent again.

Suddenly, her enemy was holding another person, a knife held to their neck. She looked at their face and froze in fear—the fear of losing someone precious to her.

She was torn between protecting the one behind her or risking all of their lives to save the one in front of her, but just before she came to a decision, she saw the shady figure press the knife harder against the person's neck.

"No!" Seulgi jolted up, screaming. Seemingly appearing out of thin air, a hand touched her shoulder, causing her to flinch.

"Hey, hey, it's alright, it's just me," a soothing voice said to her right. "You're fine, you're okay."

Seulgi turned to her side and saw Irene sitting on a chair beside her bed. The airbender had a crease between her eyebrows, and when Seulgi saw the expression in her eyes, she couldn't help but tear up.

"Irene," Seulgi cried out, prompting Irene to go nearer and hold the younger girl in her arms. She brought a hand up, patting the sniffling princess' head. "It's fine," Irene shushed, "you're safe here, it's fine."

"No," Seulgi whined and shaked her head, remnants of her nightmare still haunting her. "In my dream, I thought you and Seungwan—" The firebender abruptly stopped and gasped, panic in her features as she leaned back to look at Irene. "Seungwan! Where is she, is she okay?"

Seulgi saw a flicker of emotion shroud Irene's face, but when she blinked, it was as if it never happened at all and worry was still the airbender's evident emotion. "Wendy's in her room and she's alright."

When Seulgi heard those words, she visibly slouched in relief.