Between four walls

Our Silent World

song rec: Mazzie - M3 & U

 

Chapter 2

 

Kyungsoo began to hear muffled sounds that seemed to come from far away as if he was drowning. But as he was waking up, they sounded more real and he slowly became used to the beep beep sounds. The second thing he distinguished was the smell… it smelled weird yet familiar. It smelled sterile, like a hospital. He was disoriented, he forced himself to open his eyes but he closed them again right away when the lights hurt them. So he tried again, but gently this time and the first thing he saw was a beige ceiling. So I really am in a hospital, he thought.

He stayed like that for a few seconds, feeling too lazy and scared to move, but curiosity took the upper hand. He slowly moved his head to the side, a few flowers were laying on the table, along with a glass of water. Before he had any more time to look around, a voice resounded;

“So how are we feeling? ˮ

He quickly turned his head to the other side, startled, and saw a woman – a nurse. She was standing a little further from him, checking the I.V. with a faint smile on her face dedicated to the young man. He didn’t respond.

“Good? ˮ she asked again, her full attention on Kyungsoo now.

He just nodded, avoiding eye contact, not wanting to interact. The nurse probably noticed and didn’t bother him anymore. She just left the room without saying a word, they both knew she was going to come back in a few minutes, either accompanied or alone.

Kyungsoo took this precious alone time to close his eyes and think. First of all, he wondered if he was okay, he felt okay but… was he even actually feeling anything? And maybe the doctors had some bad news for him, and he was going to discover that in a moment – which made him anxious. Second, the accident… was scary. It still didn’t feel real, as if that was only a dream. One thing triggered him more than anything else: his motorcycle’s weight on his neck. That was the worst. And that memory caused his throat to feel tight and hurt, just like that time. His breathing was restricted – or at least that’s how he felt. Just as he was about to get up and reach for the glass of water right beside his bed, the door burst open.

“Son! ˮ

His mom ran to him with open arms. Followed by his father;

“Kyungsoo! My child! ˮ he shouted with teary eyes.

And finally his brother;

“Can you guys be less dramatic and let the boy breathe? ˮ he said, looking at his brother with an empathizing expression.

Kyungsoo felt happy and relieved, mainly because he had never seen his parents so emotional towards him before. The Do family always looks impassive and serious – despite having such sweet, youthful faces – and they do not express their emotions to each other. And despite knowing they don’t need to show affection to know their love for him, it felt good being babied occasionally.

“Are you hungry son? Does it hurt somewhere? Do you need something? ˮ her mother continuously asked. Kyungsoo shook his head. “Are you sure? ˮ

He nodded.

“… son why aren’t you talking? ˮ His dad looked worried.

An awkward silence reigned in the room…

“His throat probably feels dry dad. ˮ the oldest son eye rolled, “Give him water. ˮ

Kyungsoo tried to get up to drink his water, his mom helped him. He gulped it down. Wow, you sometimes don’t realize how precious water is huh? he thought.

He gave back the glass to his mom and she started talking;

“Ah, but I’m so happy you’re fine! Thank god people were there to help, especially that young man. What a hero! ˮ she joked. “They said he really took care of you and never left your side. You’re lucky. We’re lucky! ˮ

Who? he thought, squinting his eyes at his mom, trying hard to understand.

“Oh yes, yes! Such a caring boy, but we couldn’t even thank him properly. That’s such a shame. ˮ the dad responded.

Kyungsoo finally remembered; him, the one who helped Kyungsoo, the guy who was beside him. The one who, he thought – as cliché and corny as it might sound – looked so brave and charming at that time.

But it’s only because he wasn’t really conscious at that time. Who knows, maybe he was even hallucinating, so none of the thoughts he had at that moment counts. Hell, he was just going crazy. You started talking to the ing sun Do Kyungsoo! Talk about going crazy!

“Well, let’s just hope we’ll come upon him one day. ˮ his brother shrugged.

… let’s hope so.

 

 

Doctors and nurses came often to check on him, assuring that his condition was okay. They told him that everything seemed fine, except a broken arm and a few bruises here and there, there was nothing to be worried about. But he still needed to stay in the hospital a few more days.

And just like that, 2 days passed. Kyungsoo would often stay in the room, sleeping or just walking around a bit to look out the window. A few relatives came to visit, wishing him a good recovery, but he didn’t really care about them. The two people he was most waiting for were his closest friends; Jongdae and Baekhyun. They apparently had come to see him but Kyungsoo was sleeping so after waiting a whole hour, they left, leaving a hand-written letter on his table;

« Kyungsoo-yah,

We were so worried when we heard the news ㅠㅠ But thank god you’re safe and sound!

We came to see you but you were sleeping soundly so we just watched your beautiful face (for like an hour…) and left ~

But don’t worry! We’ll come back on Wednesday!

Love ya’ our Sleeping Beauty ;)

Baekhyunee and JD »

These bastards, Kyungsoo thought, letting out a little chuckle. But, Wednesday… it’s to-

“Today’s your lucky day, boy! ˮ a familiar voice surprised him. “Cuz’ guess who came. ˮ another one continued.

Of course. Today was Wednesday. Two playful faces appeared, bodies still hidden behind the door. Kyungsoo couldn’t hide the smile creeping up on his face. They both ran towards their injured friend and carefully (but passionately) hugged him.

“So how’s our little princess doing huh? ˮ Baekhyun asked, “Hope you didn’t miss us too much. ˮ he winked.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes in exasperation.

His reaction was actually just a bluff to fool his friends because he did miss them, although his personality didn’t match these two, he liked them and enjoyed spending time together. Because even if he did need his time alone once in a while, this bleak room was making Kyungsoo sicker, so two rays of sunshine were warmly welcomed.

Jongdae’s dark orbs were glowing through his eyesmile upon seeing his friends bickering. He allowed himself to break this lovely pictured and asked:

“Kyungsoo, are you okay? Like, all jokes aside. Do you need something? ˮ

He shook his head before flashing his most precious smile to his friend.

“Jongdae, ˮ Baekhyun started “This guy wouldn’t, by any chance, be sulking because we didn’t come sooner, right? ˮ

His friends looked at each other, not quite understanding the innuendo. He continued:

“I mean look, he didn’t say a word since we came! ˮ he dared to say.

“Okay um, maybe you’re not aware but… he’s been through a pretty traumatic experience I would say, so… maybe, just maybe he’s tired you know? So cut him some slack, will you? ˮ Jongdae blustered, glowering at him. Kyungsoo’s small head could be seen in-between his friends' stone-cold gazes.

This whole situation made the youngest uneasy, he was just burdening everybody but for some reason, he couldn’t change that, he couldn’t bring himself to say a word. Every time he thought about speaking his heart would start beating faster, a knot in his throat appearing, it would start burning.

“You’re right… ˮ Baekhyun admitted, “Sorry. ˮ

The three of them reanimated the gloomy hospital room for a good hour before a nurse finally came to interrupt. Telling the boys they had to leave for today. The two beagles left and made their goodbyes reluctantly before heading to the door, where a doctor and Kyungsoo’s mom were talking about a – what seems to be – serious subject. While Jongdae, being the polite and lovable guy that he always his, took his time to greet the woman, Baekhyun instead shouted the following information that he just remembered:

“Oh, Chanyeol told us to tell you he was sorry, he couldn’t come today because he’s a busy man you know. ˮ he shrugged.

Seeing his friend’s cooperative reaction to his joke, he left satisfied.

“[…]-t’s worrying to have your son not say even one word in two days you see, doctor […] ˮ

Baekhyun looked back, worry lines appearing on his face. The mom’s and his eyes met right after the doctor left their conversation. Baekhyun bowed, she did the same.

“Can you be any slower? ˮ Jongdae shouted.

He picked up the pace and joined his friend.

“Did you hear that? ˮ

“Heard what? ˮ

They looked at each other for a few seconds. Baekhyun broke the eye contact.

“…nothing. ˮ

 

 

 

“Hello Kyungsoo, do you feel good today? ˮ Dr. Hwang asked. Everybody was used to that now; asking him only yes-no questions. He nodded.

Dr. Hwang was a man with a small built, short hair and round glasses that made his youthful face appear even cuter. His usual smile warmed this hospital up, making it a more bearable place for Kyungsoo.

“Is it okay if we speak a bit? ˮ

This question made the boy a little nervous but he still agreed – not like he had the choice anyway.

“I will take this chair so that I don’t look so intimidating! ˮ he joked, very aware of his image.

“You have no serious injury, physical injury. ˮ he specified, a detail making the boy even tenser, knowing exactly where this was going. “But… we know you haven’t been talking since that event. And it’s a bit concerning. We know you don’t have any physical damage to neither your brain, nor your throat, so I personally think it’s because of the traumatic experience. ˮ

He stopped a brief moment to analyze Kyungsoo’s expression; as worried as before, nothing changed.

“So if it’s okay with you, you could talk to a therapist. It’s not as bothersome as it sounds, don’t worry. I know one who would make you really comfortable. ˮ

Frustration could be seen on Kyungsoo’s face, but it wasn’t because of the proposition, but because of the way he was talking to him; broaching the subject as if he was a 10-year-old. He could take it, of course, he could because he already knows that he needs that.

“Is it okay for you? Do you want me to set up an appointment? ˮ he asked, craning his neck to catch the boy’s attention.

Kyungsoo nodded.

“Great! Then you’re going to come with me and we’ll go see him right now, he’s waiting for you. ˮ

What? Kyungsoo thought, eyes searching for answers.

A mischievous smile was the doctor’s only response.

What a joke…

 

 

“Oh come on don’t frown, he asked me to bring you to him. He said staying in such a, I quote, boring and lifeless room for so long would only be bad for you ˮ Dr. Hwang said.

Kyungsoo sighed.

“…are our rooms truly that bad? ˮ

The boy let out a small chuckle. Of course, it is! He shrugged, biting his lip.

“I see… There are even TVs though. ˮ he mumbled to himself, arms crossed to his chest.

Yeah, with only, like, 5 channels.

After a few more steps they finally reached the therapist’s room. Kyungsoo read the nameplate: « Kim Dowon, Clinical Psychologist ». Dr. Hwang knocked on the door and he opened it with a wide smile.

“I brought you your patient! ˮ

“Finally! ˮ a deep voice exclaimed.

When the doctor gestured for the boy to enter, he took a peek at Dr. Kim’s face. He had a more serious and charismatic aura than Dr. Hwang, that was for sure. But you could clearly see the same playful sparkle in both men’s eyes, which led Kyungsoo into thinking that those two were probably close friends.

“Here you are. Do Kyungsoo am I right? Take a seat. ˮ

Kyungsoo obeyed. Dr. Hwang closed the door and just like that they were left alone in the office:

“So… tell me. ˮ

The room was silent.

“Hum… you really don’t want to talk I see, I thought seeing a decent human being after staring at the same white walls for 2 days would change that but I was wrong. ˮ

Kyungsoo squinted. What… the… hell?

“I’m kidding of course. Do you want to write? ˮ he asked, paper already in one hand, looking for a pen with the other.

Why do they always ask me questions like I had the choice? He shrugged as an answer.

“Here, choose one. ˮ

 

Oh how ironic.

He was holding three different pens before Kyungsoo, putting them on display for him to pick one; a red pen, a black one, and a pencil.

His choice was the black pen.

“Interesting. ˮ he smirked.

The boy squinted again, that man was so hard to decipher.

“Now write. Whatever you want to say. Judging you would be the last thing I would do. ˮ

The pen in his hand didn’t move at all for about a whole minute. What do I want to say? He glanced at the man, head not moving. He was just waiting for Kyungsoo to write, eyes focused on the paper, his interlocked fingers hiding his mouth.

The boy looked out the window, still thinking about what to share on that paper. Decided, he wrote down something.

Dr. Kim’s expression changed when he read the unexpected;

« I don’t like the sun. »

 

 

Yay chapter 2 is here :) It has less description so maybe it was a little more fun to follow, it's only about Kyungsoo but next chapter we'll see more about Jongin, no worries ^^ I hope you all enjoyed it! Oh and btw, do you have an idea about why Kim Dowon asked Kyungsoo to choose between those 3 pens and then made a comment about his choice? Please comment about it, I would love to see if it was clever or not ^^'