The blue sky

Our Silent World

song rec for this chapter: the weeknd - i was never there

 

Chapter 1

 

Classes ended and Kyungsoo rushed home. He took his motorbike, put his helmet on and took the usual roads which led home. He had a busy week and his fatigue was noticeable on his face, the sun was at its peak which burned his skin, making him want to go home as quickly as possible.

He was staring vacantly into the road ahead. The path and the view were the same as always, the same routine every day. Which started to bore Kyungsoo… I wish things would change, I wish I could change. He has drowned in a sea full of depressing thoughts for months. He wasn’t always like that of course, he used to be a smart and successful boy with a peaceful mind a few years ago. He was still smart – despite the fact that some people around him convinced him to believe the opposite – but he had slowly started to change; the once relaxed and perfect student now became a “rude and hopelessˮ (as said by his teacher) one;

“You are just…lost! You have no aim, you don’t take school seriously as you always skip class and when you do actually attend you just sit there and daydream all day while looking out the window! You have to pull yourself together […]. ˮ these words have been repeating themselves in his head for days now. His teachers always admonished him so he became used to it, but for some reason… these hurt more.

“They always act like they know us. ˮ he mumbled to himself. “Kyungsoo is always at fault of course! Must be easy.ˮ

And suddenly, a day which he had considered so normal and common transformed into something that he believed to be a nightmare; while he was lost in thoughts and busy complaining about his suffocating life, he suddenly felt a rather shocking and violent hit. He closed his eyes due to the shock and everything happened so fast he was confused.

When he had re-opened his eyes he was already laying on the ground, an uncomfortable weight crushing him down. What just happened? Did I collide with a ing car? Where did it come from? His legs and hip hurt and he concluded that his bike probably – as he couldn’t raise his head to check and confirm – fell on him.

However, the pain from the rest of his body was nothing compared to the pressure on his neck. He hated it, he hated the fact that he couldn’t bring air into his lungs properly. He tried to speak to ask for help but he couldn’t. And as he was about to move to get that thing off his throat, someone yelled “Don’t move! ˮ

He looked around him – or at least he tried to – to identify the owner of that voice. He could see no one, but he noticed the soothing blue sky accompanied by the sun and got distracted by them. That sky would look prettier with a few pillowy white clouds, just to steal the spotlight from the sun, the enemy. And for a moment he forgot the fact that he could hardly breathe, too focused on dissing the latter. You’re mocking me, right? It must be fun being the “center of the universeˮ, honestly, you’re overrated… And you’re burning me, go away!

He closed his eyes for a moment and tried to check his body. It hurt but he could feel his legs at least, next were the hands. He could move them perfectly fine too. He let out a relieved sigh and suddenly smelt a fresh scent; a quite strong and masculine yet calming perfume. Talking about fresh, his cheeks didn’t feel as hot as earlier. Did it miraculously get cloudy suddenly? he thought and opened his eyes out of curiosity. And no, the sunlight wasn’t gone but it was blocked… by someone.

“You shouldn’t move because it could be dangerous… we called the emergency services so let’s just… calm down and… wait patiently okay? I’ll stay here.ˮ

Kyungsoo could see that the stranger tried to comfort him, but he didn’t look nor sound any less nervous than himself. But his kindness and effort still made Kyungsoo smile. It was harder to breathe with every second passing, so he felt like he had to ask for help and opened his mouth to do so, but it was too painful, so painful he didn’t want to try any more.

The boy – or rather The savior, The angel– could see that he was suffering and gave him a worried, confused look. Kyungsoo, noticing his attentive response, gathered all his strength to move his arm and point at his neck.

“Oh, the handlebar! ˮ he exclaimed, looking away from Kyungsoo to search for help from the few curious people who came to take a look, “S-should we try to move it? He’s struggling to breathe I think! ˮ

“Yes, elevate it a bit so that he can breathe. ˮ answered an elderly woman. Kyungsoo was quite curious to look around him but he honestly didn’t care that much, he was too busy tracing the young man’s sharp features while he was speaking to that lady. He had intriguing, shamelessly sensual eyes with a sharp masculine jawline contrasting with his cute small nose and pinkish pouty lips. He was clad in white which allowed his admirer to notice one last thing about the boy before passing out; Jongin was blessed with bronzed, honey skin. With Kyungsoo looking at him from the ground he totally looked like a sun-kissed god, which conciliated his hatred for the sunlight. Wow, looks like you did a good job. I’m impressed… he thought, totally blinded by the sunbeam.

His eyesight started getting blurry, his last memory of the clear picture being the stranger’s profile. And just like that, he passed out hearing the sirens coming closer, yet further from him. And his beautiful view disappeared, leaving place to nothing but darkness.

 

 

Jongin was going back home when he saw the accident. At first, he didn’t believe it, something so violent and shocking couldn’t have just happened in front of his eyes, so he just stayed there for a moment, immobile. He wasn’t even sure if the guy on the motorbike was alive. Did he die? Should I check? Or just call an ambulance and go? I can’t help even if I go near him anyway so-

Kyungsoo’s stirring pulled him out of his thoughts. He walked towards the accident and came eye to eye with the driver of the car, he looked worried – but for who? Himself or the young boy he just hit? When they both came close enough to him to see his condition they became hesitant. The victim was suffering… and it was painful to see. That view pushed Jongin to help him whereas it kept the driver still.

His cheeks were red and bruised and Jongin noticed that the boy opened his mouth to ask for something but he was struggling. He then started moving and that’s when Jongin interfered and told him to stay still; they always say you shouldn’t move an injured person right? he told himself. But maybe I should at least take off his helmet…?

He peeked at the driver, searching for help but the latter was on the phone, anxiously scratching his head. He then looked back at the boy laying in front of him, he was peacefully staring at the sky. He then completely changed his expression, now looking angry while being blinded by the sun – to which he immediately reacted by closing his eyes, still annoyed. “Cuteˮ he thought, amused. This would have been pretty entertaining to look at if the situation wasn’t so serious.

Jongin then pulled himself together and tried explaining the situation to try to calm Kyungsoo down and that’s how he finally got his attention. The injured started moving his arm again after a few seconds.

And just when Jongin was about to scold him he saw what he was pointing at and finally grasped the situation. He looked back and asked the first person he saw if they should move the handlebar – who was restricting Kyungsoo’s breathing – to which an old lady approved right before being distracted by the sound of the ambulance siren, along with the little crowd – that Jongin had just noticed due to being too busy and focused on the boy. And when he looked back at Kyungsoo he feared it was too late.

Wait… he didn’t die, right?

He quickly took the handlebar and lifted it enough to let the unconscious boy breathe freely until the paramedics rushed to help. They carefully strapped him to a brace and after struggling a bit to carefully take the bike off Kyungsoo, took him inside the ambulance with the help of a stretcher. Meanwhile, Jongin made sure to grab the boy’s bag, his phone and all the other stuff that (probably) fell off his pockets.

“Are you a relative? Or a close friend? ˮ asked the paramedical personnel. Jongin gasped in surprise.

“No.. um.. I was just passing by when I saw the accident and tried to help. ˮ

“I see. Can you come with us if it’s possible? We could have a few questions to ask you. ˮ

“Y-Yeah… sure. ˮ he answered nervously.

Jongin jumped in the vehicle. Everyone was rushing to provide Kyungsoo the proper care. The same staff requested the young man a detailed explanation of the accident and he did what he had to do; he precisely described everything, paying extra attention to explaining the struggle Kyungsoo went through because of the handlebar. She went to check his neck, it was a little bruised but he could breathe and it’s all that mattered for now. She then started explaining in a rush:

“So, right now the victim looks fine, I say looks because we still need to make examinations at the hospital, he might have serious injuries. And the reason why we asked you to come is because usually when someone calls the ambulance the operator asks about the victims condition and gives instructions about how to give first aid to the injured, but the problem is that when they called us today the man on the other end of the line was the driver and I think he was too… horrified to communicate calmly and assist. Fortunately, his situation wasn’t so severe or else he could have been in worse conditions. Thanks to you for taking your time to help, not everyone does that. You can go back when we arrive, we will take his possessions and make sure to hand them back to him or his acquaintances. ˮ

Jongin stayed a few seconds without saying a word, looking quite upset.

But he couldn’t even stop himself, so he started babbling nonsense under the judging gaze of the woman. “I mean… I want to wait… until… his parents come? What the Kim Jongin? Why would you want to stay any longer? “B-But I can stay. ˮ he averred, not only shocking the personnel but also himself. Because umm…. I feel responsible! ˮ

The woman quickly glanced at her co-worker, looking for support, before saying; “I understand. You must have been taken aback by that accident too, that’s very normal! But I can assure you that you don’t have to feel responsible for him. He will be okay and we will reach the hospital soon so you don’t have to worry. We can seek a therapist for you to talk to if you wish, that’s what they’re here for.ˮ

Great now they think I’m crazy! “No I’m fine, I just want to stay and wait, please… ˮ

Well, maybe I am…

She just nodded before going back to help the others after they called her. They were going to arrive at the hospital soon, and they had to hurry. Meanwhile, Jongin went through Kyungsoo’s stuff after quickly glancing at him – he couldn’t keep his eyes away from his face, he felt so sorry but also so warm and soft inside every time his eyes landed on him, but he looked peaceful now at least and that made Jongin feel relieved. He first looked at his phone. I should call his parents. Then his wallet, he searched for his ID card and read Do Kyungsoo, he’s 18 years old – which was a surprise since he has such a baby-ish face he thought that Kyungsoo was for sure younger than him. His driver’s license and student card allowed him to obtain a few more information about him; he goes to Baekseok High School, has his license since not long ago and…

You can do it! Things will get betterˮ read Jongin on the small piece of paper that fell off between the cards.

He goes through a hard time?

 

 

They finally arrived in the hospital, called his parents and Jongin was waiting with Kyungsoo’s belongings, biting his nails, visibly nervous. A familiar ringtone caught him off guard. His mother was calling.

“Mom?ˮ

“Kim Jongin! Where are you? I sent you so many messages why don’t you respond? Hurry up and come home! ˮ she berated. They had a doctor appointment today and Jongin totally forgot.

And as he was about to respond, his eyes landed on an alarmed mother followed by his husband that Jongin assumed to be Kyungsoo’s parents as the couple was coming closer and closer while the mother was continuously muffling her son’s name.

“M-Mom I’ll come as soon as I can! I love you, bye. ˮ

He rushed towards the couple and quickly explained everything, gave back their son’s belongings and wished a quick recovery. Mrs. and Mr. Do hadn’t even had time to thank the young man when he dashed out.

 

 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I checked every information to make it as accurate and precise as possible (the accident, ambulance, ...) so I really hope there no coherence error. And you found this chapter boring I'm really sorry; there were a lot of descriptions and it was sometimes repetitive, the next chapter will be a lot more fun I promise! I'll try to write chapter 2 and 3 within the next month. Please wait patiently, thanks~