The Hero

HERO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Drip. Drop. 

The sound of rain welcomes Tzuyu as she got inside her car. She is lucky enough to get inside her car before the rain starts to drop. Registration ended later than she expected and it's almost six in the evening. As the headlamp of her car lit up she saw a silhoutte of a girl standing by the bus shed probably waiting for the rain to stop. Tzuyu drove her way to the bus shed and smiled internally when she realized it's her long time crush, Myoui Mina. She didn't waste anytime and rolled down the window.

"Mina sunbae-nim!" Tzuyu greeted with a bright smile plastered on her face.

“Tzuyu! Did you just enroll too?” 

Tzuyu tried to hold off a chuckle after witessing how cute Mina is when she's awkward but failed.

“I did, do you perhaps want to ride with me? I’m heading home anyway," Tzuyu said after a few more chuckles. Mina stared at her for a few seconds. She looked reluctant and Tzuyu wants to assure Mina immediately without sounding off too weird. “The rain doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon and you might get a cold, sunbae-nim,” Tzuyu said. Mina began to think again. A few seconds later opened as if she's about to answer but a voice immediately cut her off. 

“I’ll take it from here Tzuyu.”

Tzuyu wanted to roll her eyes at the sight of Mina's infamous suitor. The guy seems alright but Tzuyu would look way better than him anytime of the day. Tzuyu took a deep breath to calm her nerves and then proceeded to nod her head. “It was nice seeing you Mina sunbae-nim,” Tzuyu smiled. “You too Jinyoung sunbae-nim,” Tzuyu greeted but was less lively.

As she drove away, her knuckles are turning white. A result of her gripping the steering wheel too tight than the usual. She's so mad at herself that she couldn't do anything to convince Mina to come home with her. Who was she anyway? To Mina she's probably just her junior who happens to be her neighbor too. 

_____

Tzuyu is used to the routine of skipping lunch because of how rowdy the cafeteria can be when students eat there. She prefers the comfort of the books in the library and its calm aura. However, she didn't expect to see Mina and her group of friends to be sitting just a couple of tables away from her usual one.

Mina is rummaging through her bag and panic is evident in her facial expression. Tzuyu is worried in why Mina is acting like that. She then realized what Dahyun had told her earlier. Their seniors will be taking an exam in one of their major subjects and it somehow requires a scientific calculator. For the past ten minutes she's contemplating whether to go to Mina and lend hers. 

Tzuyu is given an answer when Mina bowed her head on the table and seems to be on the brim of crying. Tzuyu stood up from her seat and made a brave move to walk towards Mina's table. She stayed there motionless and silent until Mina looked up. She ignored the curious stare Mina's friends have been giving her. 

“Sunbae-nim, I was passing by when I heard you need a scientific calculator,” Tzuyu began. She took something from her bag and smiled after finding it in her bag. “Here you go sunbae-nim!” Tzuyu handed the scientific calculator with her bright smile.

Mina seems to be confused in what's happening and Tzuyu is starting to feel awkward too. “Good luck with your exam!” Tzuyu waved goodbye before walking away. She doesn't know if that looks weird but she just can't stand the attention given to her anymore. 

Later that day, Tzuyu purposely roamed in Mina's classroom where they're supposed to take the exam. She had to use her "student officer card" just to get that information. When she got there, there were a lot of students piling out of the classroom and all looked tired. Tzuyu smiled after seeing Mina stepping out of the room and was about to walk up to her and give her congratulatories when Jinyoung beat her through it.

"Hey Mina, did the scientific calculator I gave you helped?"

"It did!" 

Tzuyu is confused. Wasn't she the one who gave Mina her scientific calculator? She probably even looked so stupid while she was doing so. Why is Jinyoung suddenly getting the credit?

She is beyond pissed and so she just stormed out. Trying her best to recollect herself and not let the whole student body see her lose her cool.

_____  

 Tzuyu heard that her friend, Elkie, will be participating in their university's annual dance competition during their Sport's week. She also heard that Mina will be joining too. She wants to surprise her friend and so she decided to visit the dance studio thinking Elkie will be there. Tzuyu is the one who got surprised though after seeing Myoui Mina in there without an Elkie to be seen.

“Oh, Mina sunbae-nim! I didn’t know you were here."

She probably looks stupid now with how she's reacting but who wouldn't be? The great Myoui Mina looks so hot right now with all that sweat trickling down her neck probably from all the dancing she's been doing. 

“I was planning to cheer up my friend and thought she was here, I didn’t mean to intrude,” Tzuyu added when Mina is not saying anything back to her. Tzuyu is finally able to breathe properly when Mina said, "It's okay." 

Tzuyu beamed and said, “Are you also practicing for the sports day sunbae-nim?” She really wants to keep the conversation going so she's just saying anything that's on her mind now. 

“I am.”

Mina's answer is so short. Tzuyu's thinking that she's probably bothering Mina too much now. “Well I hope you good luck sunbae-nim!” Tzuyu then handed her a bottle from the many bottles she’s carrying. Mina accepted it and even gave her a smile. “Thank you for this,” Mina pointed to the bottle.

“No problem sunbae-nim. I’ll be taking my leaving now,” Tzuyu bowed before awkwardly stepping out of the room

Two weeks had passed since their encounter and Tzuyu swears she's been avoiding the dance studio since then. Tzuyu didn't join any activites for the sport's day not after what happened last year during archery. She got a freaking zero because her arrow got caught up in her hair. How embarrasing must that be to fail in front of her crush. 

_____

Not joining any sports club for the sports week means you have to at least take part in the technical aspect of the events. Tzuyu volunteered to be in the medical team since she already has a background in it. While Tzuyu stands by the side she realized that the arena suddenly fell silent, it is Mina's turn to perform. 

She wastched in awe as Mina performed with grace and passion. Each step she makes captivates Tzuyu's heart more than ever. Without a doubt Tzuyu believes that Mina will win the competition with a perfect score in a unanimous decision.  

Everything is doing well until the ending part happened. Mina jumped and fell awkwardly. Tzuyu saw how gruesome that fall is. Tzuyu’s team run to her with Tzuyu leading it. Jinyoung was the first to reach Min and is planning to move Mina when Tzuyu stopped him by grabbing his hand away from Mina's frame.

“Don’t touch her,” Tzuyu’s calm eyes suddenly turned fierce. “You’d make it worse,” she said and Jinyoung had to accept defeat. He knows nothing about the medical aspect of sports.

“Everyone give way!” Tzuyu shouted with authority and it was a first for everyone to hear her like that.

Tzuyu gently carried Mina to transfer her on the wheelchair already prepared by her team. Mina’s tears doesn’t seem to stop flowing and she seems to be panicking. Without thinking much Tzuyu held her hand and said, “Mina sunbae-nim, please calm down. I’ll make sure everything will be okay.”

Mina suddenly stopped crying and stared at her. Tzuyu had the urge to wipe away Mina's tear-stained cheeks and so she did. 

“Now, we’ll bring you to the clinic so the doctor can properly assess your injury. You can hold my hand if it hurts too much.”

As Tzuyu pushes Mina's wheelchair away, Mina is gripping her hand tightly. Tzuyu squeezes Mina's hand a few times just to reassure her that everything will be alright.

_____

Tzuyu really likes halloween since it declares fall. A season where it's not too cold nor too hot and is just perfectly fine. Tzuyu is now roaming around the campus to take pictures. She was assigned by the student council officers to take the pictures for some of the exhibits in their school carnival. 

She is done taking pictures of more than half of the exhibits until she realized she hasn't visited the haunted house yet which is the "Gem" of the fair. She bought a ticket and went inside. The exhibits were not as thrilling as she thought it would be. She took pictures without any emotions and will stop sometimes just to observe the details of the supposedly scary objects.

She saw that a coffin is layed down on the floor with a student inside it. Amazed by it, she stalled on that spot for a few more seconds just to capture every detail of the exhibit. She stopped clicking on her camera when a crying girl suddenly bumped into her back, head first. 

Tzuyu immediately know that it's Mina. The girl is crying with her eyes closed and hands trying to block the creepy background music playing. Tzuyu took the initiative to get her earphones and plugged it into Mina's ears with mellow music playing. She then led the ollder girl outside with her walking in front making sure Mina doesn't have to see the rest of the exhibits. 

It took them three more minutes to reach the end of the haunted house. By now Mina's tears are dried and are simply glistening on her cheeks. Tzuyu wanted to wipe them away like what she did before but she stopped herself and instead said, “Sunbae-nim, are you doing fine?” 

Mina only stared at her and Tzuyu thinks that Mina is still in shock of what she just saw. She had to call Mina's attention again and luckily Mina answered.

“Ah… yes.”

“You shouldn’t have run sunbae-nim, you just recovered from a foot injury. Worse, you might trip and get yourself another injury." Tzuyu didn't want to come on too strong but realizing what Mina just did frustrates her. "What if Mina tripped and she wasn't there to catch her? What if she got hurt?" Are the thoughts running in Tzuyu's mind at that moment.

“I’ll be more careful,” Mina bashfully said. Tzuyu stopped overthinking after realizing that Mina is probably blushing right now. She's feeling giddy that Mina blushed but Tzuyu's mood suddenly turned sour after seeing Jinyoung walking into their direction. 

“I’ll get going now, it seems like your prince charming is here already.” Tzuyu felt gloomy and upset but she had tocover it up. “Please take good care of yourself!” Tzuyu flashed a warm smile before she walked away. She tried to hide how jealous she felt at that moment by quickly stepping out of the situation.

_____

Tzuyu has a close relation to her professors to the point that they will trust her with the projects of their other students. Right now she got assigned by one of their professor to collect research papers from the Juniors. She waits for the students to come inside the classroom until the clock shows 4:00 P.M. 

Tzuyu had to close the office first to recheck the research papers before passing it to their professor. She realized that there were 5 people who didn't get there on time and felt bad for them but what's done is done. She stacked the folders back in order and stepped out of the room only to see her crush sitting on the floor with a fold in her hand. 

“Mina sunbae-nim, long time no see!” Tzuyu beamed expecting the older girl to greet her back but Mina blankly stared at her with emptiness in her eyes. “Are you okay sunbae-nim?” Tzuyu kneeled down to be at the same level as Mina’s. The older girl shook her head and raised the folder she's holding.

Tzuyu realized that Mina is probably one of the five students who wasn't able to pass on time. She chuckled realizing how awful what her next action might seem but still did it anyway. She snatched the folder Mina's holding and said, “Thank you for picking up the folder I dropped sunbae-nim. I’d be going now since the Professor instructed me to bring these to him as soon the clock ticked 4."

She then bowed and quickly walked away hoping nobody saw what she just did. It could get her in trouble if someone reports her to their professor but she did it for Mina anyway so it has got to be worth it. 

_____

The last day of examination simply tells how school is over. Tzuyu was on her way out of their department when she saw students gawking at Mina and Jinyoung. The two seems to be argu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter