The Damsel

HERO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina stood by the bus shed as she waits under the pouring rain. She was on her way home after enrolling when the sky decided it wanted to rain all of a sudden. As much as Mina wants to go home early she can’t, she didn’t have an umbrella with her and it seems that the bus will arrive later than she expected.

Her attention drifted to the car that stopped right in front of her. The windows rolled down and it revealed Mina’s neighbor, Chou Tzuyu. She’s also a student from the university and they live right next to each other.

“Mina sunbae-nim!” Tzuyu greeted with a bright smile plastered on her face. “Tzuyu! Did you just enroll too?” Mina asked awkwardly. She didn’t know what to say after Tzuyu’s greeting. Tzuyu chuckled but proceeded to say, “I did, do you perhaps want to ride with me? I’m heading home anyway.”

Mina was reluctant. Tzuyu is a new person to her even if they live next to each other so it might get awkward.

“The rain doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon and you might get a cold, sunbae-nim,” Tzuyu said. Mina thought for a few more seconds but when she was about to answer she was immediately cut off.

“I’ll take it from here Tzuyu.”

It was Park Jinyoung, Mina’s devoted suitor. It’s known in the whole university how Jinyoung claims that Mina is his girl. Every guy who knows Jinyoung never dares to come near or even look at Mina.

Tzuyu understood immediately and nodded her head. “It was nice seeing you Mina sunbae-nim,” Tzuyu smiled. “You too Jinyoung sunbae-nim,” Tzuyu greeted but was less lively. Just like that Tzuyu drove off without looking back.

____

It was lunch when Mina realized her scientific calculator is missing. She’d be having a test and she’ll need it for her to take the exam. She keeps rummaging through her bag but she just can’t find it and she was in the brim of crying.

“Mina why don’t you ask Jinyoung to fetch you one?” Jeongyeon suggested to her. As much as her friends want to lend her their scientific calculator they’ll also need it for the exam. “I’ve been contacting him but he seems to be busy,” Mina’s voice cracked.

“You should still try though,” Nayeon told her.

Mina messaged Jinyoung if he could get her one but 10 minutes has passed and he didn’t reply back. 15 minutes is left before her next class. She bowed her head on to the table and was about to cry when she felt someone standing near her. Mina looked up and was welcomed by the sight of Tzuyu.

“Sunbae-nim, I was passing by when I heard you need a scientific calculator,” Tzuyu began. She took something from her bag and smiled when she seemed to find it. “Here you go sunbae-nim!” Tzuyu handed the piece of technology that Mina really needed.

“Good luck with your exam!” Tzuyu waved goodbye before walking away.

“Aww~ she’s really nice,” Jihyo mumbled after Tzuyu left.

Mina was astonished that Tzuyu was there at the right time to give her the scientific calculator she badly needs. She even wished her good luck. Her daydream was cut off when her phone buzzed.

From: Jinyoung

                I got you one! Where can I give it?

“Is that Jinyoung?” Momo looked at Mina’s phone and the girl nodded. “See, he can be very reliable! Didn’t you say he was busy yet he managed to get you one just like that?” Momo teased.

____

It was a few days before sports week and Mina’s department volunteered her as tribute for the upcoming dance competition. Mina of course was flustered and it seems that she’s not really allowed to back out either. She was only given 2 weeks to prepare her dance routine which is really hard.

Mina is practicing alone at the dance studio of the school when the door suddenly opened. It was Tzuyu with bottles of energy drinks by her arm.

“Oh, Mina sunbae-nim! I didn’t know you were here,” Tzuyu’s facial expression shows how flustered she is. “I was planning to cheer up my friend and thought she was here, I didn’t mean to intrude,” Tzuyu explained.

Mina is amused at how cute Tzuyu looks right now. “It’s okay,” Mina told her. Tzuyu nodded her head and smile. “Are you also practicing for the sports day sunbae-nim?” Tzuyu asked out of the blue.

“I am.”

“Well I hope you good luck sunbae-nim!” Tzuyu then handed her a bottle from the many bottles she’s carrying by her hands. Mina gladly accepted it and returned a smile. “Thank you for this,” Mina pointed to the bottle.

“No problem sunbae-nim. I’ll be taking my leaving now,” Tzuyu bowed before awkwardly stepping out of the room while Mina observe her, amused.

Two weeks passed and it was the sports day. Mina is filled with excitement and nervousness. Jinyoung who’s the Basketball Team Captain of their department made sure to be there. Mina’s friends were also there to watch her.

When it was Mina’s turn to perform everyone’s eyes are on her. Even Tzuyu who volunteered to be part of the Medical team to avoid all the tiring activities is there to watch.

Mina performed with grace and passion. Each step she makes captivates the audience. All of her friends knew she’d get a perfect score. Everything was doing well until the ending happened. She’s supposed to jump and land gracefully but as the gravity pulls her down, her foot landed awkwardly.

Jinyoung was the first to rush to her. Mina is crying in pain now. Tzuyu’s team run to her with Tzuyu leading it. Jinyoung was about to move Mina when Tzuyu stopped him.

“Don’t touch her,” Tzuyu’s calm eyes suddenly turned fierce. “You’d make it worse,” she said and Jinyoung had to accept defeat. “Everyone give way!” Tzuyu shouted and it was a first for everyone to hear her like that.

Tzuyu gently carried Mina to transfer her to the wheelchair already prepared by her team. Mina’s tears doesn’t seem to stop flowing and she is panicking. Tzuyu held her hand and said, “Mina sunbae-nim, please calm down. I’ll make sure everything will be okay.”

With that, Mina stopped sobbing and her attention solely focused on Tzuyu. She nodded her head, Tzuyu then wiped away the tears on Mina’s cheeks.

“Now, we’ll bring you to the clinic so the doctor can properly assess your injury. You can hold my hand if it hurts too much.”

As Mina is being pushed away, Tzuyu holds her hand until they reach the clinic.

____

Fall is the season for Halloween. Mina really hates that certain holiday. She gets creeped out easily by scar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter