Final. [2/2]

Sail Close to the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo took her to a not so shabby place, it was decent, a place where Mina thinks about eating at, now that she knows how to go in this particular place. After what seems to be a long, awkward bus ride to this side of the road, Mina was glad she was out of their street for once and Momo did manage to make their ride a little less awkward, with her never ending stories from her friend getting a girlfriend, to her Mom sending her embarrassing, , baby pictures on their clan group chat. Stuff like that.


“I’m sorry, this is all I could afford. But I swear their braised pig’s trotters are damn good.” Mina nodded in acknowledgment, not really minding about the dining place.


“It’s all good. Don’t worry about it, you shouldn’t spend so much on me.” Mina hates it when someone buys her or treats her something way expensive, something expensive that makes them spend the money they don’t have. She thought it would be better if they spend it on themselves rather than her, it was frustrating.


“It’s okay. Besides, I really find you a really good companion. Whatnot.” Momo smiled and they both laughed together. The good companion term was beginning to be an inside joke to the both of them, but to Mina, it was the start of a funny, but warm feeling on her chest.


They spend the evening, happily talking to each other. Mina truthfully find herself the most boring person. She couldn’t really keep the conversation going, but if it wasn’t for Momo’s fantastic stories and random jokes that could pass as funny, they would’ve gotten home earlier than scheduled.


Momo walked Mina home, it was 7 in the evening. They had their stories, laughs, and smiles half of their day. It was a very different day for Mina. It was very different.


They walked through the street, this time, Momo was walking Mina up until to their apartment door. They stood, facing each other, waiting for the other one to bid goodbyes like it was the last.


“I guess I wasted half of my day with you again.” Momo inserted her hands in her jacket, the night was getting much colder.


“Well, was it wasted?” Mina asked, hoping she didn’t bore the heck out of Momo. Fortunately, she shook her head, smiling at Mina gently, letting her know she was sincere.


“Still debatable. Unless you enjoyed my corny dad jokes.” Momo wasn’t looking directly at Mina’s eyes like she was all shy and anticipating what Mina would say. But she should know that Mina was sure of one thing, she did enjoy.


Mina just chuckled and shook her head, hitting Momo’s arm slightly while she does. She’s sure Momo gets the message.


Suddenly, she heard the door get opened, and the door bursted open and spat Nayeon. Right. Mina hasn’t properly introduced her new found friend to her, even afraid of letting Nayeon know she found a friend.


“Oh, hey, Nabongs.” Mina greeted but Nayeon was stuck with a struck face, her pupils nervously shaking back and forth between the both of them. As well as Momo, who was suddenly fiddling on her feet.


“This is Hirai Momo. I met her in the bread shop.” Mina saw Momo casually reached for Nayeon’s hand quickly and shook it fast. Mina was taken a back.


“Im Nayeon. Nice to finally meet you.” Nayeon was clearly gritting her teeth. Mina dismissed the fact that maybe they know each other but maybe it was just Nayeon getting mad for bringing her home slightly late.


“See you inside, Minari. I’ll... go now.” Nayeon smiled, ever so sarcastically at Momo first, then sincerely at Mina after slamming the door shut, giving them chance to say their goodbyes.


“See you soon? I’ll be working my off this week. I wish I could see you more often, Mitang. So I could comfortably speak Japanese with you, only.” Momo pouted. Mina was close to a smile, but her heart ached again, for the first time this day, pain menacingly taking over her heart. It was beating fast again, like it was running a race. Mina grunts in pain, unable to keep herself from the pain that sent Momo damn worried.


“Mina? Mina? What’s happening?” Momo clutches Mina’s arm for support, only following Mina as she walks to the door. Mina struggled as she punch the code of their apartment, her heart really not helping to even let the door open for her.


“Just a little heartburn. Y-You can go now.” Mina smiled with a sour face. Clearly, she wasn’t fine. Momo lets go of Mina but she atleast see Mina open the door, weakly pushing the door open.


“I’ll call you to make sure you’re okay, okay?” That was Momo’s last words before Mina lightly slams the door shut. She took a moment to breathe, leaning on the door, closing her teary eyes, before her heart actually calmed down after God knows how many minutes of pain. It was always like this when they both part, she noticed. It was peculiar but it wasn’t good either. Momo can’t know. Momo shouldn’t know. She catches her breath, exhaling sharply, her heart finally easing with her fast, now normal, rate.


Mina walked to the living room, seeing Nayeon all invested in the newly released drama she found. It seems like Nayeon didn’t see her struggle, much to her relief. Mina gathered herself and waved Nayeon hello, went straight to her room, not really wanting Nayeon to disturb her marathon.


Do I still need to call? I’m worried.


Mina bit her lip, feeling all guilty. This is where it starts. She really doesn’t want Momo to know, and treat her like the fragile one she is. She wanted to be normal for once. She wanted to be treated like normal for once. This is why she shut out everyone, fear of the guilt eating her up, wholly. Burden was placed on everyone’s shoulders, the first thing they knew, so she tried, erasing herself from the existence in their life.


Mina typed her reply, covering it as secure as possible, still really not wanting to lie


No need. I’m okay, it’s nothing.


It was far from nothing. It was normal for her to feel her heart being pierced in pain once in a while.


For the record, I do enjoy your dad jokes. Wanting to hear more of it soon. Good night, Momoring~


That was the last message she sent before her nightly mantra, and falling straight to sleep, a wide smile on her face, shaking off the negativity.


Good night, Mitang. Sleep well.

 

———————————————————————


Really??!??? Out of all the people, Mina???????


I’m sorry!!! I didn’t know! Momo mentioned she met her in a bread shop! I didn’t know it was the one down your street!


If Momo does something wrong, I swear to God, the next time you see her, she’ll be dead!

 

———————————————————————


Momo does call her, once or twice a day, making it Mina’s favorite pastime. They were getting all too close. Her laughter and stories became Mina’s favorite thing to hear. It was weird, it was Momo, after all these years, that sent her wanting to smile even more, wanting to be like the rest of them, wanting to try again.


It was Momo. Momo who makes her time for calling her, who messages her from “good morning”s to “good night”s. Mina doesn’t know, she doesn’t know she was already falling.


She was already on her way, sailing close to the wind.

 

———————————————————————


Mina meets her, quite late than usual. It was after a week, after Momo was done being busy at work. It was, then again, Momo who asks, promising another dinner. Momo took her in a picnic, hoping Mina would like everything she prepared, from takeouts, to their favorite cream bread. It was a wonderful night for their palettes, flavors dancing through their tongues.


“Picnics aren’t exactly ideal for dinner dates, Momoring.” Mina was being reluctant, looking at Momo’s direction and met the same brown eyes she first saw, when they first met.


“Hey! I’m trying to be unique here. Picni

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter