Final. [1/2]

Sail Close to the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tachycardia, is a heart rate that exceeds the normal resting rate, only tranquility can calm. But if left untreated, tachycardia can disrupt normal heart function and lead to serious complications, including: Heart failure.


It was then, again, another bad dream for Mina. Her chest pains kept getting worse and worse with every nightmare she had. She was glad it was finally morning, sunlight seeping through the brown faded blinds. It was the time for waking up with a hint of breakfast getting cooked outside her room. She grasped her chest, taking deep breaths while calming herself inbetween. It was painful, but the pain finally lessens. It was a bad dream and getting it out of her mind was the least she could do to help with her heart.


Mina stood up and smoothed her silky nightgown. She walked to her door, only to find Nayeon grooving to the 1975 tunes, cooking what seems to be like breakfast. It was smelling like fried rice all over the place.


“Good morning, Nayeon.” Mina sat diligently on one of the barstools, seeing Nayeon acknowledging her presence and smiling.


“How was your sleep?” Nayeon was quick to ask. She, right on time, finished cooking the first batch and was quick to give Mina a plate full of kimchi fried rice.


“It was the usual.” Mina answered but her tone was down unlike usual. She played with her meal a little bit before actually taking a spoonful. Nayeon sighed and placed the hot pan gently on its place. The nightmares were getting frequent and it’s making her heart more worse. Mina was suffering but under all those smiles, they were both suffering. Nayeon wants to be be positive about it, but can’t help but get frustrated. Visits to the hospital was increasing and she can’t afford Mina always inhaling the scent of nothing but anti-bacterial sanitizers and all the medical stuff. It pains her to see it so. If only she knew about it so much earlier.


“Here. I’m sorry. It’s a deconstructed omurice. The eggs cooked way too quickly.” Nayeon tried to cheer her up, settling another plate beside the plate she was currently having. It was an omelet and it totally made sense. Mina smiled and took another spoonful, humming in satisfaction. It was really good. Nayeon’s kimchi fried rice is always that good.


Mina motioned to get Nayeon’s cup of strong coffee, but only to be quickly stopped by a swift hand. Nayeon quickly placed the mug away from Mina’s reach. Mina fought back and hard. She reached and reached but Nayeon was the one in defense, slapping Mina’s hand from attempting to get the mug. Nayeon, who was frustrated as hell, took a big sip, emptying the contents of the mug. It wasn’t hot anymore, much to her relief.


“You know caffeine is bad for you, right? Stop it!” Nayeon’s struggle finally stopped as Mina cross her arms, frustrations starting to build up.


“I don’t care. What else can this fast paced heart do anyway?” Mina sulked and took a spoonful of the rice again but this time, in an aggressive manner. Nayeon scoffed sarcastically, finding it funny on how Mina was sulking.


“It was a cup of your poison. Do you really think I would give it to you? Don’t try and look how fast your heart can still go, idiot.” Nayeon lifted a finger and flicked Mina’s forehead. Mina surely knew caffeine was the way to die.


Mina doesn’t really know what to do anymore. Her Tachycardia was getting worse and she was actually living with nothing to do but breathe. She’s taking her scheduled therapy in the hospital and that’s the only day she gets to go out of the secluding house. Her heart was getting sensitive. A simple one such as caffeine can easily kill her. What more if she does things that was tiring as ever?


Fear was the main cause of her worsening tachycardia. Fear from everything, family, work, even love. Everything was scary, it was causing her stress she never really know how to handle. So she shut them out, fearing that she only causes pain to them, and to her self. Sure, her mother had tachycardia before but it wasn’t as worse as Mina’s. Mina thought luck wasn’t really on her side. She gets to spend her days, playing legos, finding solace in her stuffed cuddly penguin Nayeon bought her to calm down, and nothing but more legos to play with.


Mina finished her breakfast, while she contemplates about asking permission from Nayeon to go outside. It was like asking her mother. Nayeon was still cooking for herself, when Mina cleared , getting the attention of Nayeon halfly.


“I was thinking, I want to go outside today.” Mina saw Nayeon’s ears move like a bunny, wanting to hear what Mina would like to say. It filled Mina with delight.


“I just want to go to that bread shop you said that was newly opened. The bread you brought home was delicious.” Mina stood up and cleared the kitchen counter she dined on a while ago. She went to the sink, waiting for Nayeon to respond on her plea. It was almost impossible since Nayeon really does not allow her to go outside unless it was really important. She doesn’t want anything to happen to Mina. But since the shop was just down the street, she contemplates carefully on it.


“How would I know that you’re not up to any sort of monkey business?” Nayeon sighed and finally finished on her pancakes. Mina’s head snapped in Nayeon’s direction, crossing her arms and chuckling softly.


“I’m not. You think I lie to you? That hurts my feelings.” Mina fake pouted. Nayeon swears she almost threw the fork she was holding to her direction. Luckily, she was in a good mood.


“Shut up. You’re lucky I get to take care of your fragile .” Nayeon inaudibly spoke, her cheeks filled with pancakes. Mina propped her elbow on the kitchen counter, placing her chin on top of her palm and waited for Nayeon’s answer. She hopes, she prays hard, Nayeon lets her out. She was getting claustrophobic in this apartment.


“Fine. Walk straight home if someone tries to kill you or something. Or else I’ll find your dead corpse and kill it twice.” Mina laughs and nods in pure happiness. Her day was getting better.


She walked to her room, her smile was reaching both of her ears. She prepared thoroughly, getting ready to go out on that one spring day. She opened her cabinet, prepared herself with her favorite black skinny jeans and a white crop top and was then topped with a simple cardigan. It was simple, but it definitely satisfied her.


She went out, only to see an empty, quiet place. It seems like Nayeon already went to work. Or went to see her girlfriend, that is (she never really got her name). Mina brought with her just a bag of her essentials and went walking, frolicking through the warm air. She was doing it in purpose. Going home early isn’t really in her favor.


Mina passed by a busy street, people minding their own businesses while either answering phone calls, going to places quickly, just business all over the place. It wasn’t a new view for Mina but it was rash. Is this what people does all their lives? Of course, she can’t judge, given her condition, but she doesn’t really like the negative energy all over the place. Maybe this is why Nayeon doesn’t want her going out.


Mina arrived in the bread shop, all peaceful, but it’s kind of packed with small number of people. Wide variety of breads on the racks, warm air hitting her skin, and it smelled nothing but fresh bread. Mina doesn’t really eat a lot of bread, but seeing this was her guilty pleasure. She walked to the rows of bread and went on to find the bread Nayeon bought her. It was a strawberry one, as far as her palette remembers. It was really good for a sweet bread. She looked at each bread, getting all giddy for she found some bread that adds to her choices.


She went to get a tray, and luckily, a piece of the strawberry cream bread was left. She quickly picked it up, afraid that someone might get it.
She went to the counter and quickly paid for what seems to be like a number of bread that is enough to get her going for the rest of the week. She was done paying for the bread, getting ready to walk out, maybe frolick a little bit in the park, not really wanting to go home. (She, of course, sincerely apologized to Nayeon under her breath.)


“Excuse me, when will the next batch of strawberry cream come?” A lady asked at the counter behind her. Mina stopped her tracks, silently waiting for the cashier to answer. She walked slightly to the white bread section, pretending to look at it, but really, she just wants to know where this plea was going.


“Not until mid-afternoon, miss.” The cashier answered. Now that’s a bummer. Mina looked at the bag she was holding, containing the last piece of the strawberry cream bread she just bought. Literally.


“Oh, crap. I need it so bad. Won’t it come any sooner?” The lady asked with a tone, seemingly desperate for it. Mina bit her lip, afraid to face the lady. She was one step away from the store entrance, why can’t she just run away and maybe just don’t mind the lady and eat it happily?


“No, miss. I’m sorry.” The person behind the counter apologized. Mina was then, suddenly guilty of having the bread. As much as she loves it, it wasn’t really in her favor to technically make someone sad.


Mina saw the lady walk pass her, frustratingly sighing like she was really damn desperate for this petty bread. Mina went outside too, not long enough after the lady went out, bringing herself to atleast call the lady.


“Hey.” Mina softly called, enough for the lady to hear. The lady was pretty, oh she was hella pretty. Mina was taken aback, internally choked on her breath.


“Yes?” The lady’s voice was gentle. It rang through her ears, soothingly as ever.


“U-Umm. Hold on.” Mina searched in her bag. She shuffled through her bread and finally got the strawberry cream bread on hand. It was the last one. It was the last one. And here she was, giving it to the lady, a stranger, who was pleasing for it a while ago. This was the disadvantage of having a weak heart.


“Here. I think you want it more than I do.” Mina saw the lady give the bread a long look before look at her, a red blush all over her face.


“U-Uhh. But it’s yours. I don’t want to get something that isn’t mine.” The lady lightly shook her head, smiling like she was happy but seemingly, dismissing Mina’s offer. Mina wasn’t pleased.


“I insist. I-I just saw this. I didn’t really want it.” Mina hates lying but it was like lying was the right thing to do. She saw the lady get the bread from her hand, slowly and gently, still being a little bit paranoid and suspicious. Mina smiled slightly and bowed to the lady. She was shy, like really, really shy. She didn’t even got the chance to hear her give thanks.


Mina walked away, too shy to even talk to the pretty lady. But she was walking while smiling, amused of what she did. It felt good. Sure, she didn’t get that one bread she asked permission about, but meeting a lady, and giving her the bread. It felt damn good.


Suddenly, her heart stinged like there was a needle poking through it. It hurted to bad she silently yelped in pain. She didn’t even notice her heart beat went on a fast pace. She was just walking. Or maybe she is thinking about the lady too, smiles and all. Soon enough after her heart went calm, she shook her head and went straight home, foiling her plans of revolting to Nayeon, and just spending the rest of the day maybe lying around in her house.


She shouldn’t think about the lady, it was dangerous. Mina never met som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter