Chapter One

When The Tub Water Is Low

“Hey.” I hear two voices say from around the room, drifting to someone who had just arrived. I can hear a shift as someone on the couch farthest from me moves, making room for a body. We’ve been sprawled out in the living room for hours, Jimin, Taehyung and I, it being one of our rare days off. Comeback was a , and now that promotions are over we’re able to relax for the weekend. Despite that though, Yoongi and Namjoon left earlier this morning to go to the studio. They had asked if I wanted to come with, Yoongi composing a song he wants me to hear, but I politely declined, my aching bones winning this time. 

 

“What are you guys doing?” The new voice asks, flitting up to my ears and I can feel the smile before I glance up, even if it’s slight. 

 

Jungkook had joined Jimin on the couch, head resting gently against his shoulder. Even in the dim living room I can tell he had just woken up from a nap, cheeks puffy like they do when he’s been asleep too long. 

 

“Nothing. I tried convincing them to go out tonight but as you can tell, didn’t work.” Taehyung huffs out from the other side of the couch and I chuckle, shaking my head lightly. 

 

“You want to get mobbed by fans on your night off?” I ask, side eyeing him from behind my phone screen. He shrugs, attention back to the book he’s reading. I’m not really sure what it’s about, but I know he’s read it about ten times and each time is more exciting for him then the last.

 

Jimin groans, rubbing the bridge of his nose, and Tae gets up to get him medicine, tired of the small boy quietly cursing under his breath from the pain. 

 

“You look tired Kook-ah.” I say slowly, fingers lingering over keys, not looking at the boy. I can see him move his head out of the corner of my eyes but I don’t really pay much attention to it as a message pops up on my screen. I hum absent minded, dragging the message down to read it. 

 

Songs turning out great, wish you were here. - Namjoon 

 

“Where’d Jungkook go?” Taehyung asks, sinking back down into the couch while handing Jimin a cup of water with pills. Looking around, there’s no Jungkook in view.  

 

“Maybe to go sleep more?” Jimin offers, tilting his head back to swallow, Adam’s apple bobbing with the slick liquid. 

 

He’s been tired a lot lately, I think, biting the inside of my mouth but quickly shaking off the thought as someone speaks again. 

 

“Jeez will Jin hurry the hell up, I’m hungry.” Jimin grumbles, pouting slightly. 

 

“I’ll text him, and that’s Jin-hyung to you brat.” I snicker, no fire to the flame as I tap out of Namjoon and I’s message thread and into Jin’s. The contact reads “Group Eomma.” And I type a quick text before pushing up out of the couch. I feel the two boys glance at me momentarily before their conversation starts up again. 

 

The dorm isn’t that big, there being only three actual bedrooms, one bathroom, a small living room with a combined kitchen. Some days it feels stuffier then others, clothes strung down the hallway as we finish practice, all of us too tired to care, including Jin. That’s when you know it’s been a long day, his constant nagging simmering down to clicks of his tongue as he sighs, stepping over jeans to get to his room. Yoongi and Jimin share the first bedroom closest to the end of the hallway, Taehyung, Jin and Namjoon sharing the next one, then theres the room I share with Jungkook. Yoongi and Jimin get along great, Yoongi never quite there and Jimin always quiet in case, to not disturb him. We had talked about me sharing a room with Namjoon and Jin, making sense that Jungkook and Taehyung share a room being they are younger, but Taehyung had a habit of slipping into Namjoons bed all the time, “his bed being more comfortable then Taehyungs own,” and so I easily offered to room with Kook. 

 

It’s really not a big deal who I room with, I get along with all the boys fine, each of them attributing to every day, building up memories and confidence within me, an unshakable foundation, so it’s fine. 

 

I knock quickly on the door, knuckles barely rasping the wood before pushing the door open, letting it shut with my heel. It’s extremely dark, but I can see a figure in the bed closest to the wall moving subtly. 

 

“Jungkook?” I whisper, careful not to wake the young boy in case he had fallen back asleep, but the figure turns over slowly to face me and I offer a small smile.

 

“Yes hyung?” He whispers, voice muffled under the blanket. 

 

“You’re still tired?” 

 

Silence fills the air and I shift my weight awkwardly, wondering if maybe now the boy really had fallen asleep. I’m about to turn around and leave, before he speaks again. 

 

“No.” 

 

“Then what are you doing Kook-ah?” I whisper quietly, moving across the room to where he lay. At first I can’t see, almost bumping into my own bed in the process, but after I second I find myself sinking onto the bed, hand reaching up to smooth down the soft fringe of bangs on top of his head. His skin is warm to the touch, and I trace my thumb over his cheek, unable to ignore the roughness of the damp skin. 

 

“I just didn’t want to be in the living room.” The boy admits, teeth chattering a little.i smile, leaning down so that my chest is pushed against his, nose nestling his neck. 

 

“I understand that. It’s been a pretty boring day.”

 

He says nothing, but I can feel him shaking a little under the covers. 

 

“Do you need another blanket?” I ask after a moment, moving my hand to cup his face. He blinks, eyes seemingly heavy before nodding. 

 

In the dark I can see his sunken in expression, eyes swollen and cheeks stained. I tilt my head, inhaling before sliding my hand into his. 

 

“You’re exhausted.” And it isn’t a question, because I know, have known for a while how tired the maknae really is. He’s a perfectionist, constantly going over dance moves, song lyrics leaving his mouth at all times. He’s been stumbling often lately, his body too tired to follow instructions his brain is giving. Namjoon gives him a loving look, tapping him on the shoulder to reassure him that it’s okay, that it’s just one of those days. It’s been one of those days a lot lately. 

 

“I’m okay.” He whispers, barely audible. I watch as he lets his head rest farther into his pillow, lip bruised most likely from him biting on it like how he does when he gets stressed. I’m about to speak again, when I hear knocking at the door. 

 

“Jin-hyung wants you to set the table.” Taehyung says, probably to Jungkook, before shuffling back down the hallway. I move, pulling the blankets back for the smaller boy to sit up, and he does, slightly, but not to get up. 

 

“I’m not really hungry.” He mutters, hands grabbing his phone and tossing it after he checks the time. I frown, studying his face before sighing, because I know this. I know that his is, but I don’t say anything. 

 

“I’ll set the table.” He hums in response, fingertips brushing against my hand quickly before flopping back down, body turning around so his back is to me. 

 

I stare at him for a moment, tingling in my chest before pushing myself off the bed with my left arm, carefully making my way to the door. I hear a tired sigh behind me as the door creaks, clicking shut. 

 

——————————————————-

 

I just wanted to start off the story, this chapter may be kind of short, but I’ll start writing the second chapter soon! In the mean time I hope you guys enjoy this! Please leave comments letting me know, and feel free to check out my other work while you wait for this to be updated! 

 

(Sorry for any typos.)