Ch 1: Intro

Girl Pool

              Sliding your hand across the foggy mirror, you looked at your reflection slapping your cheeks lightly to wake yourself up. Sandy blonde hair, green eyes, and freckles that fanned across your face made you laugh a little. Being in Korea for around almost two years now attending school, you would be lying to yourself if you said you exactly 'fit in'. It didn’t bother you though, people were kind for the most part. If anything, the reaction of people, especially the older generation, when you spoke Korean never seemed to get old. They liked the fact you tried embodying their culture rather than assuming they should adjust to yours.

              Coming out of the bathroom, you walked over to your phone playing music while you got ready for school. You grabbed your favorite green oversized turtle neck sweater lying on your bed, jeans from the closet, and your trusty vans quickly changing. After, you went over to the mirror lightly applying sunscreen and chapstick before giving yourself a small smile to encourage yourself for the day. Grabbing your backpack and your drum sticks, you threw it over your shoulder heading out the door.

              Taking the subway, you got off at the exit right before Seoul University heading to the international students building. Greeting people as you walked in, you felt your shoulders give with sudden added weight making you turn your head at the familiar bubbly newly red head who kissed the side of your face.

“Zena! I’ve missed you,” your friend cooed as you tried your best to pry yourself from her.

“Rose. Ah, I’ve missed you too, m-my back,” you pointed and she quickly bounced off giving a small apology.

You couldn’t help but smile at your friend. She was Korean herself, but had lived in New Zealand for a good number of years making her be placed with the international students.

              “You dyed your head red.” You noted letting her long hair run through your fingers.

              “Yeah, I thought it would look great for the performance coming up. You know, so we can stand out a little more,” she laughed, “does it look ok?”

You nodded, “It looks amazing. Red’s usually hard to pull off depending on the shade, but it fits you really well.”

Your eyes almost went blind from her smile, “yeah?!” she half squealed hugging you again.

You could only laugh and linking arms, you both headed towards class.

“Have you seen Sana?” Rose asked and you shook your head,

“She’s probably with Jennie and Mina.”

Sana and Mina were from Japan, and Jennie, like Rose, was Korean, but lived abroad for most of her life. You all had met through the international student’s program and since you all had an interest in music you ended up creating a female band called Girl Pool. After school, you all would practice together. If you weren’t practicing, you all were hanging out together, or doing homework together. In short, you were inseparable. Your personalities just matched well, making the transition of studying in Korea by yourself a lot easier and a lot more fun to say the least.

              You and Rose found them already at class. Quickly saying your greetings before the teacher arrived, class started, and for the rest of the day you all went from lecture to lecture like any other normal university students. After class, you all rushed over to the somewhat abandoned music room Jennie had found at the back side of campus letting you all to practie as much as you wanted without disturbing others. Rose and Jennie were on guitar, while Mina was on Bass, Sana on keyboard, and you on drums. The main vocalist was Rose, while Jennie would rap, and Mina and Sana with their angelic voices would sub vocal. You would throw in vocals here and there or aid Jennie with rap, but your focus was the drums. It was your main passion.

              Today was the university’s largest music competition and you all quickly grabbed your equipment and instruments, making your way to the outside stage. Once backstage, you all tried to get things ready for an easier set up and add any finishing touches to yourselves before you heard your groups name being called.

“Ok ladies. We’ve been working hard and long for this moment. We’ve got this!” Jennie assured everyone.

“Let’s go out there and show them what the best female band in Korea sounds like,” Sana added.

“Ready 1.2.3. Girl Pool Fighting!”

With the unison chant, you all walked up the stairs to the stage. Upon entering, you saw the large crowd and walked to the front doing your group greeting. The crowd cheered. You smiled at the handmade signs with your groups name and banners with individual members. You got shy seeing a few people holding a banner with your stage name Z. Your group was already familiar to the area.  You all would busk on the streets and having all foreign members quickly made your group stand out. And well, it didn’t hurt that all your members were beautiful. Going to your instruments, you made yourself comfortable at your drums. Locking eyes with each of your members, you crossed your drums over your head signaling the start,

“1,2,3..” You yelled, the music starting.

Once done you all said your thankyou’s and goodbye’s jumping off stage and quickly grouped hugged.

“You guys, can you believe it? We actually won!” Sana squealed.

You all screamed looking at the trophy in your hands.

“Drinks anyone?” Mina asked and you all looked at her,

“Hell Yeah!” The rest of you shouted in unison and you all headed over to your favorite local spot.

Drinking and celebrating, you all went over to Jennie’s place to crash. Once there, you all hung out talking about classes and boys, when suddenly Rose screamed,

              “What? What happened?” Jennie asked and Rose shoved her phone in your faces,

              “Yah! Isn’t this us??” You all leaned in trying to get a better look,

              “Holy, are we trending??” Sana asked and Rose screamed again,

“It says the all-female band, Girl Pool, made quite the stir at Seoul University’s annual music competition. With their powerful instrumentals, dream like voices, and exotic beauties, they are quickly becoming the new it group of Seoul.”

“They even mention our names and positions individually, daebak.” Mina adds and we all continue reading the article.

You looked at your section reading it to yourself,

‘Zena, or better known as Z on stage, has been stealing hearts of both men and woman for her girl next door looks and fierce ability to play the drums earning her title of the ultimate girl crush. Sources says she also writes most of the groups lyrics making us question what’s next from this cool beauty?’

You hid your face in your hands. You were always most worried being non-Asian would make you the outcast of the group, or bring the whole group down, so you were relieved when you realized you were being accepted. Noticing you, Rose quickly hugged you and the other girls joined in. You smiled at your friends trying not to cry.