final

say that you're bossy ('cause you are the boss)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Gyuri wakes up sweaty, thirteen minutes after her 8AM Physics lecture has started, and with a Big ing Problem™.

"You good?" Jungkook asks her, barely looking up from the game he's playing on his phone after she's successfully tripped over about ten people to get to where he's saved her a seat at their usual spot right smack dab in the middle of the entire lecture hall. Gyuri swears that the dismal space between the rows is a ing fire hazard.

She rummages through her backpack for her notes and the pack of gum she was guilted into buying that one time Mingyu bolted into a 7-Eleven on their walk home from a party and the man behind the counter gave her the stink eye as she waited for him to finish emptying the contents of his stomach into their toilet. It'll have to do in the place of forgoing brushing her teeth, which she sacrificed in order to make it at least thirty minutes before lecture ended. Physics was hard and the last quiz had kicked her . "Does it look like I'm good?" Gyuri hisses back once she's chewed the gum enough times that the mint should mask her morning breath (which Chaeyoung insists can kill a man).

When she glances over, Jungkook's back to playing his damn phone game. God, Gyuri hates Jungkook and his ninety-five percents on tests even though he's always playing Fortnite instead of studying. She reaches over for his phone and chucks it back into his face.

"What the , Gyul?" Jungkook says a little loudly for an 8AM lecture, like Gyuri doesn't do this to him every time she's trying to study and he hasn't turned the sound off his phone. A group of girls sitting in front of them simultaneously turn around to glare at them. The dude that'd been snoring softly on Jungkook's other side snorts back to consciousness.

"I have a problem," Gyuri whispers, urgent. Jungkook raises his eyebrows in a silent what is it? and then Gyuri remembers that they're in a lecture hall surrounded by a ton of people when she hears their professor say something about circuits and that she'd rather not have them all listen in on her personal life.

Jungkook rolls his eyes when his phone dings with a notification. "Really? You're really gonna text it?" he mumbles when Gyuri angrily points to where it'd fallen on his lap and hadn't been retrieved. He takes his sweet time typing in his password while Gyuri stews half in anxiousness and half in God, I need new friends.

And then Jeon Jungkook ing laughs. As if Gyuri didn't want to die after she woke up and realized what happened already.

She slams her foot onto his and he lets out a yelp two octaves higher than his normal speaking voice. The girls in front of them turn around to glare at him again. Serves him right.

 

 

 

 

Jurina whistles when she sees Gyuri. "Did someone pull an all-nighter last night?"

Gyuri all but flops on the library counter that Jurina's organizing the returns behind. She opens , about to say no, but then considers. "Something like that," she whimpers from where her head's hidden beneath her arms.

Jurina pats her hair, which Gyuri pulled into a haphazard bun on her sprint to campus from her apartment barely an hour ago. "Aww, what's wrong, Gyuri?" See, Jurina's a true friend, unlike Jungkook, down to touching her hair that Gyuri can't really remember the last time she washed it was.

She looks up. "You have to promise me not to tell anyone else," Gyuri says, conspiratorially. Jurina lived on Gyuri's floor during her freshman year and all of them bonded over not having air conditioning when it was still crazy hot in October and trying to track down who vomited in one of the communal showers (that turned out to be Mingyu too). Basically, Jurina knows everyone that Gyuri doesn't want to know about what she's going to tell her.

She holds up her right hand in oath. "I swear."

Even so, Gyuri leans over and has to whisper it behind a cupped hand. In case Jurina's coworker – who's a graduate and once commented "God, I'm so glad I'm out of college" the last time Gyuri and Chaeyoung stopped by to complain about their CompSci TA – hears. "I had a dream about Jung Jaehyun."

Jurina, international student from Japan, who spends way too much time with Seokmin and Saerom who are always playing the game, says to that: "So are you gonna go after the D?"

Gyuri stares her straight in the eye. Jurina blinks back innocently. "This is a problem, Jurina," she repeats, in case Jurina's forgotten. She nods at Gyuri, still expectant. "And no."

Jurina sighs in relief. "Good," she smiles, going back to reorganizing the books. "I know you're straight but frat boys like Jaehyun are." She pauses, making a gagging noise, as if Jaehyun wasn't part of their friend group.

"I know," Gyuri echoes, glad that Jurina was sensible. Unlike Jungkook who kept laughing at her even after lecture ended.

"Also," Jurina starts right as her coworker walks into work. " are gross."

Her coworker chokes. Gyuri takes this as her cue to leave.

 

 

 

 

Gyuri's lunch break aligns with Mingyu's on Wednesdays and today is unfortunately Wednesday. She guesses she might as well tell Mingyu because he gets easily butthurt if he's not in on a secret. And he has a class with Jungkook at two and Jungkook has loose lips.

"I didn't know you were into Jaehyun," Mingyu says through a mouthful of Panda Express after also laughing at her for a good minute. Gyuri suddenly wonders if the three weeks of silent treatment he gave her and Chaeyoung last year for not telling him about his own surprise birthday party were that torturous.

Gyuri frowns. "I'm not."

Mingyu waggles his eyebrows at her. "Stop that," she snaps, thinking if throwing lukewarm coffee into Mingyu's face would hurt that bad. "I just don't...talk to guys?"

Mingyu gestures to where they're sitting right now in the middle of the student union food court and what they're doing. He's got a ing point. "You're different," Gyuri says.

"Is it because I'm gay?" Mingyu asks, looking confused at whether or not he should be offended.

Gyuri rolls her eyes. "No, I mean like guys I'd be interested in." Mingyu actually looks offended now. "And you're cute but you're already dating Seokmin," she mentions as damage control.

Mingyu visibly brightens. Gyuri takes another bite of her sandwich, satisfied. "So you are into Jaehyun," he grins, putting the pieces together.

"No," Gyuri insists, washing down the stale bread with a sip of once-piping-hot coffee. "I am not."

He opens his mouth, about to say something else, when he sees something that makes his face split into a -eating grin. "Speak of the devil," Mingyu says.

Gyuri feels her entire body freeze before she comes to her senses and whips her head around to look over her shoulder. And lo and behold, across the room with a tray from that expensive organic food place that just opened is Jung Jaehyun, rapidly approaching them. ing .

"Don't you dare wave," she hisses to Mingyu, who's just cackling at her now. Jaehyun catches sight of them then, breaks out into a smile that exposes the dimples on his cheeks, shakes this loose piece of hair that's always falling out of from where he's gelled it back out of his face, and redirects his course to their table.

In the last few seconds, Gyuri considers her options. One, she could make a run for it now, but that'd require leaving her sandwich behind, and that was the only food she'd packed herself for the whole day. Two, she could crawl under the table, punch Mingyu in the shins, and wait until Jaehyun left. Too mortifying – she'd never hear the end of it. Three, she could just watch these seconds go by in horror, and die later.

"Hey Mingyu," Jaehyun says as his tray touches down on the table. His arm brushes against Gyuri's shoulder when he climbs into the seat next to her and it makes her flinch. His eyes meet hers when she turns to glare at him from the contact and Gyuri is very, utterly, sincerely not attracted to the lazy smirk that's on his face. "Jang."

"I hate everyone," Gyuri says, mostly to herself. She kicks Mingyu in the shins when he starts to open his mouth as she packs up her sandwich.

Jaehyun's smirk grows. Gyuri consciously reminds herself that frat boys , that carefully gelled hair is not attractive, and that wearing muscle tanks to lecture right after someone's come from the gym is more of a disgrace to personal hygiene than y. And that are gross, in Jurina's voice.

"What's new," Jaehyun shrugs, and it's the last thing Gyuri remembers before flipping him the bird and walking out of the cafeteria.

 

 

 

 

Gyuri cuts her losses when she's waiting for results in lab. Okay, so Jung Jaehyun was really ing hot. If Gyuri was literally anyone else, this wouldn't have to be a problem but:

1) Jaehyun lived across from her during freshman year, so she's seen the whole eager freshman boy turns into frat hunk transformation firsthand. To be fair, freshman year Jaehyun had been pretty nice to her – on move-in day, he'd helped her carry her suitcases up the stairs because the elevator was broken, ran back to his room to get a coffee for her when they were the only two left in their lounge at 5AM because of their Friday morning finals first semester, and there was that one time that he let her crash in his and Eunwoo's room when she came back from getting late night nachos and realized she'd lost her room card somewhere. If Gyuri's brain space hadn't been occupied constantly with the thought that she was going to flunk out of college her first semester in, she thinks she probably would've had a crush on him.

And then one day, right before the year was over, it hit Gyuri in the face that Jaehyun had joined a frat.

"Oh, Gyuri," Jaehyun said when he saw her waiting for the elevator after she'd come back from eating dinner. "Long time no see! How's the semester going for you?"

"Not bad," she smiled. "I just turned in my CS project so I'm gonna spend the night, you know." She shrugged. "Watching Netflix."

Jaehyun laughed at that. And had he always had dimpled lines when he smiled? "I feel, I feel," he agreed. They waited as people filed out of the elevator before going in.

There was a moment of silence after Gyuri hit the button to the sixth floor. "Do you want to go to a party?" Jaehyun asked suddenly as the doors closed.

"What?" Gyuri said, confused.

"I mean," Jaehyun stuttered, the tips of his ears turning red. "My frat's having a party tonight. If you wanna come instead of Netflix?" Gyuri took a moment to process. Party. Tonight. Frat. Jaehyun's in a frat? "I mean, not that you shouldn't watch Netflix! I just – I invited the rest of the floor too, if you wanna come? I think Chaeyoung's going?" Chaeyoung had been her roommate back then, too.

"Um," Gyuri started, not sure where she was going with it. This elevator ride felt like all but ing eternity. "Um."

And that's when she realized. The skin on Jaehyun's neck was shiny with what was probably sweat, and he was wearing a tank with some combination of Greek letters on it and a pair of basketball shorts. And Jaehyun had these really nice biceps that Gyuri swore hadn't been there back when he'd heaved her stuff up the stairs during the beginning of the year.

See: Gyuri was stuck in an elevator with a really hot boy and he was asking her to go to a party.

Naturally, freshman Gyuri ran as soon as the elevator doors opened. She did not go to said party.

Instead, she spent the night watching romcoms on Netflix, wondering why her life couldn't be like one.

2) Gyuri lowkey side-eyes frats and sororities because she's heard stories about how they haze through the grapevine and she doesn't understand how putting yourself through that kind of torture is worth anything.

Gyuri does end up going to a frat party her sophomore year after much prodding by Chaeyoung (they'd signed up to be roommates again) and spits out the shot she's supposed to take with her because it's her first taste of alcohol and vodka is disgusting.

She spends most of the party mixing herself different varieties of sodas (orange Fanta and lemonade are a good combo) and sitting on the couch until a different couple settles in next to her to make out. And then she runs into Jaehyun.

"Gyuriiiiiii," he says, drawing out the syllables, draping himself down into the spot next to her. He's styled his hair so it's out of his face save for this one piece that keeps flopping around and he's wearing a plain black t-shirt that she can see his muscles through and there's the smell of alcohol on his breath. The corners of his mouth quirk up into a lopsided, goofy smile. "Hey."

"Hi Jaehyun," she laughs back. One of his knees brushes hers and then Gyuri remembers last year and the elevator incident and feels her face flush.

Good thing it's dark. "You know," Jaehyun slurs, lifting a shoulder to rub his cheek against it. "I never thought you'd come to one of thes

Please log in to read the full chapter