the head hazer

sotus: the yunjae version
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

i. the head hazer

 

 

College is fun, they said. But Yunho wonders how true that is. All the first year students of their faculty are gathered in the cheering hall, seated on the floor and lined up almost perfectly. It’s their first hazing day. He never got the point of hazing. Why must it be necessary? What good would that do? He has heard stories about the SOTUS system and all he could say is that he thinks it’s brutal and it victimises freshmen students who have no choice but to go through it. He does not support it. Although against it, he will still try his best to give it a chance, see reason, and pay attention to the hazers standing before them. There are around ten of them standing side by side on stage donned in their ed white Engineering workshop polo and a plain white shirt underneath it, watching them with intimidating hawk eyes. It seems as if someone would get in trouble if they breathed in their direction.

 

Apart from looking like the tough cookies that they are, Yunho thinks, some of them probably just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. He watches as the hazer in the middle, who he assumes is the head hazer, steps forward. He notes that the head hazer is the physical manifestation of looks can be deceiving. With his soft and beautiful features, one would think he’s not capable of raising his voice at people on a daily basis, but here he is shouting like he eats megaphones for breakfast. He introduces himself as Kim Jaejoong, a third year Engineering student, and the head hazer.

 

“I, together with the other hazers, will be looking after you and guiding you throughout the whole year. We will make sure you are all disciplined and will strictly comply with all the rules. I am expecting every single one of you to cooperate.” He says, his voice loud and firm. “Congratulations for being enrolled in the Faculty of Engineering. However, I don’t consider you as my official juniors yet.” Yunho frowns. Apparently, passing the entrance examination and paying a decent amount of money for the tuition fee still aren’t enough for them to be considered as official juniors to these seniors. “Not until you own this.” Jaejoong fishes out a what it looks like a necklace with a brown string and a gear pendant. “The gear is the symbol of engineers. It’s the symbol of honour and dignity. Before getting a hold of the badge, you must learn and understand what SOTUS is.”

 

“This is why you should always come to the gathering.” Another hazer chimes in, his voice as loud and stern as Jaejoong’s. “Tardiness is not tolerated and everyone is expected to respect their seniors.”

 

Jaejoong continues, “Each and every single one of you must follow my orders. Now, do you want to know us seniors?” The hazers look pleased with the freshmen’s solid response of a yes. “You are to introduce yourselves to your seniors and get a thousand signatures from them in one week.” As if on cue, the freshmen let out a sound of protest and start complaining and whining to each other. The head hazer doesn’t seem too thrilled with their reactions and so he asks, “Is there a problem?” His expression has gone a lot colder than it previously was. “Direct your complaints to me, not your classmates. If you find it necessary to speak up, stand up, say your name and your student ID.”

 

Yunho decides he would do just that. He could not believe the incredulity of it all. He stands up without much thought, gaining everyone’s attention. “Yunho, student number 0062.”

 

“What’s your problem?”

 

“One week is too short for the task, sunbaenim.”

 

“Have you tried it yet?” Jaejoong retorts, raising a brow at him. “You shouldn’t complain before trying.”

 

Yunho clenches his fists. This senior is testing him and he does not back down from anything thrown his way. “What about you, sunbaenim? Would you be able to do it in one week?” he challenges.

 

There is this sense of achievement when he notices Jaejoong visibly tense up, obviously prompted by his words. “You are not allowed to talk back to me like that, 0062. My orders are absolute!” Jaejoong stares at him from head to toe and Yunho wonders if the senior is already plotting ways to make his life miserable. He continues to intimidate him with his stare before exiting the cheering hall with the other hazers in tow.

 

As soon as the seniors are out of the vicinity, Yunho breathes a sigh of relief and sits back down. A number of second year students enter the cheer hall. They look much more friendly. Some of them are trying to pacify the shell-shocked freshmen whilst the others are distributing the signature books.

 

“You were so cool.” The male student on his left tells him, scooting a little closer to him. “I’m Jongwoon, but you can call me Yesung. It means art-like voice. I can sing, you know.” He states proudly, a grin spreading across his face. More than anything, Yunho is amused.

 

“I’m Junsu.” The student on his right says, but he already knows that. Having known him since high school, they are practically best friends. “Do you want to play video games?” Junsu asks, his question directed at Yesung who nods enthusiastically.

 

Their interaction piques the interest of another student sitting behind Yesung. He introduces himself as Changmin. “I know a good computer shop nearby.” He says, and they have decided to meet outside the dorm after school.

 

Yunho smiles. Aside from Junsu, he now has a new set of people he could call friends.

 

 

 

 

 

Junsu doesn’t consider himself a gaming addict, he just happens to be really engrossed in the mobile game he’s playing that he cannot be bothered to do anything else. “Yah, Junsu.” Yesung whines. He’s been trying to get Junsu’s attention but to no avail. “Hey, come on. Let’s be productive and get signatures!” He sighs. He should have gone with Changmin when the latter asked if he wanted to join him hunt for seniors. Looking at his busy friend once more, Yesung shakes his head and leaves.

 

“I’ll be done in a while, Yesung. Wait for me—” Junsu stops midway when he looks up and finds Yesung suddenly gone. He pockets his phone and gets up to find his missing friend.

 

“Hey!” He mutely watches as a female student approaches him. “Come with me!” Before he could process what’s going on, he is already dragged by the other student towards a senior seemingly waiting for them. What’s going on? “We’re ready!”

 

“Huh?” he responds dumbly. “Ready for what?”

 

“Introduce yourselves please.” The senior kindly tells them.

 

“My name is Junsu.” He kind of finds it stupid that he has no idea what he’s there for and yet he answers the senior like he’s the one who convinced the other student to come with him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter