Chapter 2

What Are You So Afraid Of?

The next day, Yugyeom had fallen asleep on the couch with Jaebum watching TV.
A familiar voice filtered through his dreams and when it registered he jolted awake, sitting up and looking over the back of the couch toward the door. 
“Jackson?” he asked, smiling and squinting against the darkness and sleepiness to see if Jackson was back, straining his eyes as Jackson’s distinctive voice continued to fill the room. The doorway was dark and empty. 
Yugyeom realized that the voice was coming from the opposite direction and turned back around.
He was met with Jackson’s handsome face grinning on the TV, glaringly bright as he cracked open a beer on a commercial.
Yugyeom watched the commercial all the way through in silence. The channel switched back to the late-night re-runs as Yugyeom emptily stared.
Jaebum grunted and stirred awake on the other side of the couch, disgruntled by Yugyeom’s previous movements. 
“Whyd’ya kick me Gyeom” he slurred, turning on his back to glare at the other boy.
Yugyeom was sitting up cross-legged with his blanket in his lap staring at the TV, a single tear trickling down his cheek.
Jaebum’s brow furrowed and he sat up, fighting a wave of sleepiness, and leaned forward to touch Yugyeom’s face to make sure his eyes weren’t playing tricks on him. His fingertips came back wet. Yugyeom didn’t react.
“Hey, why ya cryin Yugyeom?” Jaebum asked, his voice softened with sleep and worry, as he hunched forward to look at his maknae inquisitively.

 

Yugyeom seemed to break out of his stupor and his own hand came up to feel his cheek. He looked down at his hand incredulously when he felt the dampness on his skin.
“I...I’m sorry, I didn’t realize I was. Huh. That’s weird.” He stared back down at his hand while Jaebum stared at him. 
“You’reeeeeee kinda freaking me out Gyeom-ah.” Jaebum said, leaning back a bit.
“Sorry hyung...do you mind if I turn the TV off? It woke me up.”
“Go ahead.” Jaebum said with one last worried glance, and laid back down, turning his back to the TV.
Yugyeom quickly found the discarded remote and shut the television off, immersing the room into complete darkness. He shifted back down onto his side, facing the black screen, his back to the door.
He wiped the remaining moisture off of his face before closing his eyes and falling back asleep.

 

 

Yugyeom couldn’t ignore it.

 

 

“Bye Gyeo-”
“WAIT!” Yugyeom dashed out of the door of his bedroom and sprinted to the front door, blocking it before Jackson could breeze away. He gasped for breath, his arms splayed across the door behind him as Jackson stood there shocked, his cell phone to his ear.
Everything froze for a moment before the silence was broken my a tiny muffled voice on the other side of jackson’s phone call.
“Yeah, sorry man, lemme call you right back.” Jackson said, his questioning eyes never leaving Yugyeom as he hung up and put his phone in his pocket. 
“...Well?” he asked, completely thrown off by Yugyeom’s frantic actions.
“I...I just.” Yugyeom started, in air between words. “Where are...you going?...When...will you be back?”
Jackson was looking at him like he was crazy. “...I’m going to the company to do my part of the photoshoot. For the album. I should be back before dinner.”
“Oh.” Yugyeom said, breaking eye contact with Jackson as his gaze dropped to the floor and his cheeks flushed. He suddenly realized he was still barring Jackson’s way and scrambled away from the door, nearly tripping over all of the shoes and the doorway and falling over in the process.
“Um...okay?” Jackson said and cautiously edged around the frazzled maknae and quickly retreated out the door.
Yugyeom collapsed, standing with his hands on his knees and hanging his head.
“Bye.” he breathed. He was flooded with embarrassment and frustration and punched himself in the knees, cursing at himself for his own stupidity as trudged back to his room, slamming the door behind him.