Chapter 1

What Are You So Afraid Of?

At first, Yugyeom didn’t even notice.

 

 

“Bye, Gyeom. I’m going to visit some friends on the other side of Seoul. I’ll be back in a few days.”

“Bye, hyung.” Yugyeom mumbled distractedly, eyes focused on his phone screen where he was watching a Chris Brown music video.

 

 

It was fine, they all left for solo stuff sometimes.

 

 

“Bye, Gyeom. I’m going to China to film for Team Wang. See you next week.”

“Mhmm, bye.” Yugyeom yawned, rolling back over to try and catch a little more sleep during his mid-afternoon nap after a day of exhausting dance practice.

 

 

“Bye, Gyeom. I’m working on something in the States. I should be back before next month.”

“Have fun-” Yugyeom said, looking up from the noodles he was cooking, but Jackson was holding up a finger to signal silence as he picked up the phone. “Oh hey man wassup.” he answered in English as he turned and grabbed his bags to walk out the door.

 

 

Little by little, Yugyeom started to notice.

 

 

“Hey Gyeom, want to go to dinner with me and some new friends from my show?”

“Um...no thanks hyung, I’m a little tired.” Yugyeom said, looking up from where he was facetiming his mom.

Jackson nodded and shut Yugyeom’s door, footsteps retreating to the front door.

“Why don’t you go with him, it sounds like fun.” his mom’s voice crackled through his headphones.

“I don’t really know his friends anymore mom. It might be awkward.” He flashed her a weak smile and the conversation moved on.

 

 

“Gyeom! Have you seen my bracelet?”

Yugyeom came to Jackson’s room to find him basically destroying his dresser in a mad flurry.

“Which one?” Yugyeom asked sheepishly, noticing at least five bracelets strewn across the desk and onto the ground due to Jackson’s wild search.

“The silver one with the diamond clasp. I bought it with some friends overseas. I can’t find it anywhere!”

“I’m sorry hyung, I haven’t seen anything like that.” Yugyeom said, holding his arm with one hand while he stood waiting for Jackson to answer. “If you want, I can ask Bambam…” When he realized that Jackson was too focused on his hunt and wasn’t going to respond, Yugyeom awkwardly retreated from the room.

 

 

It was no big deal really, they all got busy.

 

 

“Bye Gyeom, I’ll be gone for a little while, see ya.”
“Going to China?” Yugyeom asked but he must have hesitated too long because he was answered by the front door closing behind a rushed Jackson.

“Bye Gyeom, I’m going out, I don’t know when I’ll be back.”
“Wait, where are you-” Yugyeom started, but one of the members had already intercepted him to talk about something before he left the dorms.

“Bye Gyeom.”
Yugyeom sighed. “Bye” he muttered under his breath, knowing Jackson was probably already out the door and wouldn’t hear him anyway.