forget-me-nots

A Silent Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina thought this was the end.

All she could see were flames, flames, and more flames. With all her might, she used her sense of touch to find the seat belt buckle.

 

Click.

 

She wiped her eyes with her smoke-stained hands and ended up making her vision worse, “Mom, dad…” she managed to croak in the burning car which lacked oxygen. Crawling to the front, she weakly shook her parents by the shoulders, “...wake up, please…”

 

No, no… this can’t be.

 

Before her vision blackened, her ears picked up the sound of helicopters.

 

Present time:

 

“She’s awake! Hurry, get a doctor!”

The patient’s eyes slowly opened and as her pupils focused on the whiteboard at the door, her heart dropped to her stomach.

“Myoui Mina. Age: 16.” It read.

 

2 years have passed.

 

Mina opened but nothing came out. Her eyes spoke for her and tears flowed like a river with no end. The door opened revealing two unfamiliar people - one appeared to be a nurse and the other, a doctor.

 

The doctor smiled at her like nothing in the world was wrong. Mina thought otherwise and continued to cry, muffled and spitting out incoherent sounds. It's almost like she had an invisible piece of duct-tape that sealed her lips. The doctor's smile disappeared in an instant and he turned to the prior nurse with a look of concern.

 

"Was she deaf originally?"

 

Mina stopped crying and shook her head in panic, Help me. I don't know what's going on. Her eyes tried to communicate.

 

"No... Her legal guardian never said anything about that."

 

Legal guardian? Just one? Is it my mom or dad?

 

Mina had so many questions running through her mind but there were no answers. She opened but nothing came out again. She reached out and grabbed the nurse's wrist in panic, speaking with her eyes. The nurse returned a look of fear and pity, "Miss, can you hear me?"

 

Mina nodded and wiped her tears. She turned her head, looking for something to write with. To her advantage, the doctor had brought a clipboard and form with him. She made an effort to grab it, wincing at the unexpected pain her hip suffered from the stretch. She began to write with trembling hands.

 

"Where's my mom and dad? Are they okay?"

 

The nurse and the doctor exchanged looks that were enough for Mina to understand the situation.

 

"I'm sorry... unfortunately they both passed away after the accident two years ago. After that, your aunt became your legal guardian."

 

After the first sentence, Mina felt like she was drowning underwater. Two years ago. She couldn't even say goodbye and see her parents the last time God would let her. Her lips quivered as she put her palm to her face, feeling ashamed for no reason. She didn't cause the accident nor did she wish for it to happen but surviving alone made her want to hide from everything.

 

"Mina-ssi, once you are discharged you can visit their tombstones."

 

No, no...

 

They can't be dead.

 

This is all a dream.

 

Mina threw the notebook across the room and ripped the IVs like they do in dramas. It always seems less painful on TV than in real life, Mina realizes as she winced from the overwhelming pain. The nurse and the doctor were flustered but nevertheless kept her on the bed, "Mina-ssi, nothing will change even if you run. You have to be strong."

 

But I'm not.

 

I have so much to live... with them.

 

Two months later, Mina was finally discharged from the hospital. As the automatic doors opened, she felt a sense of hope for the first time in long while. Within those hospital walls, all she could think of were the flames that consumed her parents - her everything. Perhaps being outside will open her eyes to a new life ahead of her.

 

"Mina, can I ask you something?"

 

The 12-year-old angled her head upwards to look at her aunt. She nodded without a word.

 

"I know you're just getting discharged but I want you to think about coming with me to South Korea. Auntie has a good job there and I hate to have to choose between you and my job. You're only 16 so you'll need someone to raise you until you turn 18... And even when you turn 18, I will be by your side but I'll let you settle wherever you're happy."

 

Mina forced a small smile and nodded.

 

She took out her notebook,

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter