Jazz For Two

The Music Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

No one knew why he changed. To them he had been living so well and then one day he flipped a switch. To them he was deteriorating. He had grown skinnier in a matter of weeks. His skin grew paler throughout the months. He took on less project for work. And anyone hardly saw him anymore.

To them it looked like something happened, but no one thought it related to Yunho. He never told them. How cruel would it have been if he told them and they asked him how he knew, and his only explanation was a radio?

So, he kept it to himself, and tried to live a normal life on the surface with a frail smile.

It was hard.

‘They’ll find out eventually.’

Jaejoong would think sadly to himself whenever he came in contact with the Jung family.

‘The government will send them a letter and…they’ll find out.’

So, he kept this up for those long six months, but it became harder….it should’ve become easier.

 

 

“Jaejoong, you don’t have to do this.” Changmin said, feeling embarrassed by the sudden gifts that his neighbor was throwing onto him.

“Of course I do. It’s the least I could do after you helped me pack.” The said man insisted, “And for helping me out all last year with the yard. I haven’t even paid you back for that.”

“You don’t need to. I did it because I wanted to, and because I was tired of my parents bugging me about going out more and doing something useful.” Changmin confessed. Jaejoong let out a mused chuckle, somewhat sympathizing for the younger. “So, in actuality you were doing me the favor.” Changmin argued.

“Fine. But this is for helping me pack today.” Jaejoong said, shoving the stuffed cardboard box in his neighbor’s hands. Changmin let out a pout, “Think of it as a gift then.” Jaejoong winked.

“I don’t mind gifts, shoot, I’ll take them any day. But Jae, this is your personal stuff.” Changmin said. Jaejoong shrugged, “They are things you can use when you get your own place. Trust me. You’ll need them, and you’ll thank me later.” The elder advised.

Changmin sighed, giving in, “Fine.”

“should I send you some furniture as well?” Jaejoong offered teasingly. “No, no. I’m good.” Changmin quickly declined, earning a short laugh from the elder.

Jaejoong went into the kitchen and prepared a well-deserved meal for the two of them, using the food that his mother had Junsu drop off over a week ago. His mother made a lot of food, and Jaejoong barely touched it throughout the week. So, he figured he put it to some use before it went bad.

When he finished, he joined his neighbor on the front porch where they relaxed and enjoyed their meal after long day’s work.

Night had already fallen, and the stars were out, shining in their glory. Jaejoong smiled vaguely, looking up at the sky. When he first moved out to the country he’d actually been uncomfortable. It was a new and different lifestyle, but what surprised and amazed him the most were the number of stars that came out at night almost glittering the sky. On those nights he always looked forward to seeing them. That had been one of his favorite parts about moving. Nature was never his thing at first, but seeing those stars opened his eyes to so much more.

He would miss.

“How come you’re packing already?” Changmin asked. A question that had been poking at him all day. “Did you find a place?”

“No. I have one place in mind, but I want to keep looking. Just in case.” Jaejoong answered.

“I figured I’d start packing now and organizing what I want to keep and what I want to give or throw away. There’s a lot of stuff, so I figured I’d start early so it won’t become overwhelming.” He told the partial truth. He hid the fact that he also wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. As soon as he found a new place.

Changmin nodded in understanding, “Does anybody else know you’re moving?”

“No. Only you and my cousin know. It’s a surprise for everyone else.” Jaejoong said, knowing his mother would be happy to have him closer. “Well, maybe a good surprise for them, but not for me.” Changmin remarked.

“I’ll be sure to visit.” Jaejoong promised. “You both better visit.” Changmin told him.

Jaejoong paused, catching the younger man’s words.

“I’m surprised that Yunho is okay with moving after working so hard on the house. He barely even got to live in it. But I guess he’s ready for the city too.” Changmin went on, sipping his coke. Jaejoong’s chest tightened at the mentioning of his lover, and the truth behind his words.

“Aigoo~, I really am going to miss you guys. You’ve been my favorite neighbors. Make sure you both come back down here when Yunho returns.” Changmin said.

Jaejoong’s heart squeezed at the request. His eyes moistened as he wondered what it would have been like. Would they have moved? Or would they have stayed in the small home with the thought never crossing their mind. If they did decide to move, then Yunho would’ve insisted on doing most of the work. He probably wouldn’t have even called for Changmin’s help. “Jae?” Changmin said, interrupting the writer out of his thoughts.

“Hm?”

“You guys promise to visit right?” Changmin repeated.

Jaejoong was hesitant but forced a wiry smile, “I promise.”

Changmin smiled at this, stealing another sip from his coke bottle, “Good.”

Jaejoong looked away, back out into the open space. He felt cruel for making a promise he could not keep. Allowing his neighbor to be made happy by false hope.

But…they’ll find out soon.

Jaejoong’s eyes stung. He was afraid of that day, because that’ll be the day it becomes real. And he’ll really be gone. Everything up until now has been a dream to him. Or maybe a melo-nightmare that was letting him down slowly. Or maybe it was neither at all. He felt more like a ghost walking on the thinnest ice and everything else around him had become just as fragile. That’s what his world felt like.

Changmin’s smile grew as he spotted the stars in the sky, but his attention was mostly on the faintly glowing moon. “I know you probably mis Yunho.” He said innocently. Jaejoong was silent.

“You know what I used to do when I missed someone I love?” Changmin continued, his eyes never leaving the sky, “I’d talk to them.”

Jaejoong listened to him silently.

“When I was little, I loved my grandmother so much. I still love her now. But back then I just always wanted to be with her, but she lived so far away. I only got visit her a couple times a month. That’s why the summer time was my favorite time of the year because I got to spend the entire summer at her house.” Changmin gave out a tiny laugh at the memory.

“It was a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I got to spend so much more time with her, and a curse because leaving was even harder. It was like having to leave the most magical place on earth. I would cry and cry and nearly throw a fit. But then one day she told me not to cry. She said that she’s always here with me, but because I was always crying I never heard her.”

“She told me that, at night, when the moon comes up that she’s always talking to me.” His smile softened.

“She said all I had to do was stop and listen, and I could respond back. And that way we’d never be apart because she’ll be talking too. She said the moon had special powers, and that it only worked between two people who loved each other very, very much.” Changmin paused and laughed at himself a little, “I was young, so of course I believed her and spoke to that moon every night. I even spoke to the moon whenever I was at her house and missed my dog, and I knew he’d respond because he was always hollowing at the moon.”

Jaejoong laughed lightly at this.

“I felt bad for him, because I thought he was always missing someone.” Changmin chuckled.

“As I got older, I stopped speaking to that moon. I found it to be silly. But then…my grandmother passed away a few years ago, and I found myself missing her again. During that time, I also found myself talking to the moon again. I know she couldn’t respond. But in a way it comforted me. Because whether it was that moon or not, I knew she was listening…and it made me wonder, if she had continued to speak to the moon during the time I stopped.”

Silence fell between the two friends. Jaejoong continued to look up at the sky. He enjoyed Changmin’s story and wished he’d known about it earlier. “I’m not suggesting anything, but I figured I tell you the story.” The younger neighbor said. “You could try it, but I think it’s better if the other person knows about it.” Changmin laughed faintly.

“Yeah.” Jaejoong smiled at him to hide his broken heart.

“Whelp. I should probably get going before my parents come out looking for me.” Changmin said, standing up. Jaejoong stood up as well and took his guest’s empty dishes. “Thank you for the meal. It was delicious.” Changmin thanked sincerely. “Thank you for your help.” Jaejoong rebounded.

“Any time.” Changmin stepped down from the porch but stopped before continuing and looked back at the raven. “Jae, you’re okay right?” He finally asked.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

“Because, you barely touched your plate.” The younger pointed out. “I haven’t really had much of an appetite lately.” Jaejoong confessed.

Changmin nodded and the smile returned to his face. “Well, night Jae. See you later.” He waved. “Good night. Get home safely.” Jaejoong waved back. “Yeah, yeah.” His neighbor brushed off, turning around.

Jaejoong watched him until he was completely gone before returning inside. He decided to finish the rest of his food and it turned out to be very good.

After eating he tidied the house a little, pushing boxes to the side and stacking them just to make things a little neater. Something about Changmin’s story made him feel good, even if it was just a little bit. On the inside he felt a little bit lighter.

He glanced at the window, spotting the moon, and let out a small genuine smile before closing his eyes. That night he slept peacefully for the first time in over a year and a half.

 

 

Jaejoong woke up early the next morning and took the first bus to the city, taking his laptop with him. He didn’t even bother to stop for breakfast. He had such a good rest last night that he was afraid to be alone. He was afraid that if he was alone then the lightness within him would disappear and the heaviness of his heart return. He wanted to mak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter