Coming of Age

Queen of Kings (Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warnings: None.

I roll my eyes as I'm listening to my mother. Don't get me wrong, I love her very much but sometimes she takes things too far. 

 

“Mother, must we invite every Kingdom? The locals are already coming and noblemen and women from all over are coming too. Isn't this a little too extreme?”

 

She blinks at me, processing my words. “Nonsense!” she exclaims and I blink at her. "You are almost of age now, darling, and you must find yourself a suitable man as my future son-in-law."

 

I don't respond, instead taking the time to look at the guest list. Nine princes? Thats a lot of children. Junmyeon, Chanyeol, Jongin, Kyung--

 

"Your majesties? Dinner is served and the King does not wish to start without your presence." I release a breath. Taking one last glance at the guest list I stand and follow mother to the dining area.

 

 

My eyes widen once I feel the string of my dress being tightened. "N-Not that tight." I tell the mistress.

 

"The Queen wishes you to be looking your best and wearing the best, this is what I was told to do." She replies in a emotionless voice. I give the lady a sour look before letting her return to her task at hand. 

 

I stare at the woman looking back at me through the mirror. Plump lips, high cheek bones, brown eyes, button nose, nice skin tone, yet I do not recognize who I am looking at.

 

 

Sighing, I look around the ball room seeing other people of nobility, famous artists and musicians from all across the land. Irritation builds inside me as I feel myself tense. Its my 18th birthday yet everyone here is trying to negotiate peace treaties, trade common goods, and gossip about the latest royal affairs. Taking a deep breath I try and release the tension from my shoulders.

 

Lifting my hand, I take a small drink of my beverage. While taking a sip I feel multiple pairs of eyes on me. Looking over the rim of my glass I see a group of very handsome--very powerful looking men. I swallow the little bit of water remaining in my glass and quickly will myself to look away. 

 

After a while of walking and taking part in small conversations I find myself once again alone and observing those around me. 'I wonder if I will be able to choose who I am to wed soon. What if father has already chose and I know nothing of it--'

 

"This is quite a bore, isn't it?"

 

I jerk slightly when brought out of my thoughts. Looking to my right I see a man whose face is adoring something akin to genuine curiosity. Swallowing deeply I take time to look at the mans face. His skin seeming soft underneath ones touch, eyes that feel like they're boring into my soul, pretty pink lips that are curling into a smirk before beginning to ask me another question--

 

"Did you hear me, love?"

 

"I--"  Clearing my throat I meet his dark eyes and finish, "I'm sorry, what'd you ask?"

 

He chuckles deeply, his shoulders s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter