Chapter 1

Coming Home

It was a usual Saturday afternoon in the Kim resident. Taeyeon and Tiffany were cuddled up watching tv and their four year old daughter, Seohyun, who was drawing at her small table were in the living room.


 

“Mommy look at my drawing! It’s you, mommy Tae and me.” Seohyun said skipping over to Tiffany.


 

“Aww let me see- oh my god. Seohyun baby this is really good. Tae look.” She widened her eyes and showed Taeyeon who was also impressed. “Where did you learn to draw like this sweetheart?”


 

“The books in my room have pretty pictures so I try to draw like them too.”


 

“Aww my little girl's gonna be the next Picasso someday.” Taeyeon said while picking her up to sit her on her lap.


 

“Mommy I’m turning five soon so I’m gonna be a big girl.”


 

“Yah you might be turning five but you’ll always be my little girl. Plus you still can’t escape Ms.Tickles yet!” Taeyeon said tackling Seohyun and tickling her making her laugh uncontrollably.


 

Tiffany smiled and chuckled at the interaction of her daughter and wife. She looked back at the picture and her eyes ran over a fourth person which seemed to be a baby.


 

“Who’s the baby in your picture Seohyun?”


 

“That’s my little sister. I can have a little sister soon for my birthday right mommy?”


 

Taeyeon and Tiffany looked at each other in shock. They never really thought about having another child since Seohyun already filled their heart. Taeyeon raised her eyebrows as she communicated with Tiffany through their eyes asking ‘what do you think?’. Their ‘conversation’ was cut short when there was a ringing of Taeyeon’s phone. Looking at the caller id, she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.


 

“Mommy Tae’s gonna be back ok sweety? Go back and draw mommy a pretty picture or play with your toys for a minute.” Taeyeon said before she got up to answer the phone. She nodded and went back to her little table.


 

Tiffany watched in concern as Taeyeon went in the kitchen and answered the phone. She didn’t really hear anything from the one-sided, hushed conversation but she did get ‘hey captain’, a stressed ‘what?’ and a heavy sigh before she ended the call with ‘bye captain’. She walked back into the living room and sat on the couch next to Tiffany before she facepalmed and groaned.


 

“What happened with Captain Hong? Is everything ok?”


 

Taeyeon looked at Seohyun still drawing then at Tiffany before looking down. “They...they need me to leave in a couple of days for a mission.” she closed her eyes as she heard a gasp from Tiffany. “They don’t exactly know how long it’s gonna be but it could range from a couple of days to months or years.”


 

“What?! Years? Taeyeon, Seohyun’s birthday is coming up soon. They can’t just wait or give you another mission after?” Tiffany said in a low voice still conscious of their daughter in the room.


 

“Tiff, you know that’s not how it works. This mission is important and it could save the country, probably even more. And it might not even take that long that way I can be back before her birthday.”


 

“Taeyeon, last time you went on a mission you left for nine months saying it wouldn’t take long and missed Seohyun’s fourth birthday and mine. You said you’d be here for this one.”


 

“I know, I know and I’m still pissed about that but I can’t control that Tiff you know that.” Tiffany looked down dejectedly realizing she was right. Taeyeon sighed before continuing, “Tiff I’m sorry. I really am but I promise this is my last mission before I’m done for life. They’re gonna give me honorable discharge when I’m done.” she smiled slightly hoping that it would make the situation better.


 

Tiffany looked at her through her now teary eyes trying not to cry. “When did they ask you to leave?”


 

“Monday. They need us as soon as possible since they have everything set up.”


 

That only made Tiffany’s tears fall and lean into Taeyeon’s embrace as she only had a little more than 24 hours with her not knowing when she would see her again. Or if she would see her again. “I love you. I’m gonna miss you.” she said choking on her tears.


 

“I love you and I’m gonna miss you too. Please don’t cry.” she said hugging her and rubbing her shoulder trying to comfort her while holding her own tears.


 

“Mommy Tae, what’s wrong with Mommy Tiff?” Seohyun said while walking over to sit next to Taeyeon.


 

She grabbed her hand before responding “Sweetie, I have to leave again for a while again for my job.”


 

“But Mommy you said you would be here for Mommy Tiff and my birthday this year.”


 

“I know sweetie and I’ll do my best to be back before that. I’m super Tae remember? It’s my job to protect people including you and Mommy.”


 

Seohyun’s frown turned into a small smile at the nickname and hugged Taeyeon’s side. “I understand mommy, it’s just that I’m gonna miss you. I’m gonna be a good and big girl while you’re gone so you won’t have to worry so much. I love you mommy.”


 

“I love you and I’m gonna miss you too baby.” she said as some tears finally fell, hidden from both Tiffany and Seohyun, as she hugged both of them in her embrace.


 

————————————————-


 

As it was now nighttime, Taeyeon carefully carried the now sleeping Seohyun into her room and tucked her in bed. She grabbed her favorite Keroro doll that she loved to carry around and tucked it in next to Seohyun.


 

“Goodnight sweetie. Mommy loves you.” she said before kissing her forehead and leaving closing the door behind her to go to her shared room.


 

She walked in their room to see Tiffany laying on her side facing the opposite direction of the door. She laid down and spooned Tiffany before the girl turned around to face Taeyeon. Taeyeon moved the strands of hair covering her face before feeling a hand stopping her and a pair of lips connecting with hers. It was an innocent but passionate kiss as they tried to pour their emotions into it. Feeling her face now becoming wet, Taeyeon pulled back and held the face of a now crying Tiffany.


 

“Baby please don’t cry”, she paused to kiss her forehead and wipe her tears, “you’re not as pretty compared to when you smile.” she joked successfully earning a smile and a punch in the arm.


 

“I’m sorry. I guess...I’m just scared. Especially since what happened last time.”


 

“Hey, that was a mistake because I wasn’t paying attention. I promise I’ll be more attentive this time. You don’t have anything to worry about when Super Tae is on duty!” Taeyeon said now sitting up and putting her hands on her hips like a superhero now gaining an audible laugh from Tiffany.


 

“Tae...she really wants you to be at her birthday this year. I really wanted you here for mine too.”


 

She laid back down and faced Tiffany, “Yeah I know. I really wanna be here for both of you guys’ birthday buuut if I really can’t be here, I promise to skype you guys to check in.”


 

“Pinky promise? You can’t break a pinky promise.” Tiffany said holding up a pinky quoting one of their daughter’s favorite sayings.


 

“Pinky promise.” she said connecting their pinkies then their thumb. “So about Seohyun’s birthday gift…”


 

“Yeah I was thinking about maybe a huge Keroro doll or maybe some real art supplies. What did you think about getting her?”


 

“A sister.” Taeyeon suggested making Tiffany pause to see if she was joking or not.


 

“You really wanna have another kid?”


 

“Yeah sure why not. Maybe one day we can have an actual little army running around here.” they both chuckled at the joke.


 

“Well in that case….” Tiffany paused to straddle Taeyeon, “we should get started before you leave.”


 

Taeyeon smirked as Tiffany leaned forward to lock their lips in a heated kiss for the beginning of a long night. Due to their long night of  ‘activities’, they might just have that little army running around sooner or later.