Emerald

Like Emerald

It was two weeks before the semester ends, Baekhyun was trying to collect himself together as he felt himself restless for the past days. Holding into a piece of emerald, he was clueless how he got it in the first place. His dream last night had never felt that real before and he was afraid that he wouldn't be able to tell if he was still dreaming anymore.

 

 

A sudden sound of footsteps pulled him in his thoughts and came the last person he wanted to see.

 

 

"Baekhyun."

 

 

After learning that Chanyeol is actually a new student who just entered their university last week - no wonder it was his first time seeing him in his class because he might be introverted but he always notice everything in his surroundings - Baekhyun realized why Chanyeol had probably approached him to be his partner. He might seem like an extrovert but it's always the easiest to approach the person who's always alone by himself. He's probably clueless to the things around him and it will only take a short time for him to know so Baekhyun knows he has to distant himself from him unless it has something to do with their project.

 

 

So instead of answering, Baekhyun just pretended that the other guy's existence isn't there. Chanyeol chuckled as his gaze went to the emerald he was holding. He suddenly gave the introvert a delighted expression as he smirks "You kept it. I was expecting to see it on the trashcan outside your dorm."

 

 

As if the emerald suddenly had a curse, Baekhyun immediately loose its grip on the flower and gave it a rather offending look causing Chanyeol to laugh as he retrieves it. "What's with the sudden change? I almost thought you liked it."

 

 

"How did it got in my room?" Chanyeol is almost close to giving him a teasing smirk when he spoke if weren't for the smaller male's eyes panicking in fright. "I didn't. Your roommate is just a nice guy to ask for favors. He was the one who putted it in your room. I told him to put it where you can easily see it."

 

 

"Kyungsoo?" Baekhyun suddenly got confused "How the hell did you managed to make him do that? He rarely trust anyone!"

 

 

"I'd like to believe it's my charm." He smiled when he heard the introvert snort. "But I feel like he thought I was into you or something."

 

 

Oh.

 

 

Baekhyun felt his cheeks heat up, not from the embarrassment nor the tiny grin sporting on the taller guy's lips but from the rather ridiculous assumption that Kyungsoo could think of something like that. No wonder he was looking at him intently and weirdly last night. He was probably thinking that Chanyeol is his suitor or something "That was ridiculous." He didn't see how Chanyeol's lips thinned in his comment,  disturbed with the thought of having to clear things up once he sees his roommate but then he have to know the reason "Why did you gave me an emerald then?"

 

 

Chanyeol's fingers went to the emerald, gently touching its soft petals. "So that I'll have a reason to see you."

 

 

"What kind of reasoning is that?" He really doesn't know how to keep up with him "We're classmates, we're even partners in the final year project. You'll always see me."

 

 

"Yeah," Chanyeol signed as he ruffled his hair, smiling as he felt how soft it was "But you'll never talk to me unless I did something to intrigue you." Baekhyun glared at him but to Chanyeol, he just looks like a sulking puppy.

 

 

He really should have not given him any of his attention except if it's about the project.

 

 

"I already said it." Baekhyun went to get the headphones he always kept in his pocket and shoves it into his ears. "I'm not playing your games." He connect his headphones to his phone as he turned the volume to maximum to make Chanyeol see that he isn't interested to what he'll say anymore. Hoping he'll take the hint.

 

 

Except he didn't.

 

 

Chanyeol watches all of that, taking note of how the smaller male seems to always pretend that something didn't happened even if it was right before his eyes. Quietly taking one of the earbuds causing the small male to give him an unimpressed glance, he smiled "Are you not going to ask why I gave you an emerald out of all things?"

 

 

He can see him pretending, pretending to not give a care of what he'll say which is ironic as the introvert didn't even bothered to wear one of his earbuds again. It really surprised him how he can read Baekhyun easily but he realizes that he shouldn't really be surprised at all.

 

 

"Why an emerald then?"

 

 

He grinned as he stared at Baekhyun's anticipating eyes, its color a magnificent hue of green. So warm to look at and so graceful as he sees the emotion of confusion, anticipation and intrigue swarming in harmony while it reflects the sunlight. Beautiful. It's really beautiful except a lot of people thinks otherwise.

 

 

Chanyeol knew.

 

 

In contrary to what Baekhyun thinks, Chanyeol knew how most people see him.

 

 

He knew he is called an outcast, a lot of people dislikes the color of his eyes either because of envy or the nasty rumours surrounding it except for Chanyeol, he felt drawn to it.

 


He felt drawn upon looking at the same eyes he saw in one of his dreams.

 

 

"Because you remind me of it."

 

 

Baekhyun's surprised expression didn't even lasted for a few second as it quickly changed to hurt. Even before Chanyeol could ask what's wrong. Baekhyun already beats him to it "I see. You're probably mocking my eyes. I should have already expected it."

 

 

Chanyeol wants to apologize, he didn't know the introvert will think that way but the dejected expression Baekhyun gave to him made him speechless and guilty of something he knows he's not even at fault and as Baekhyun quietly leaves, he suddenly understands.

 

 

Baekhyun hates his eyes more than he even hates himself.