Chapter 1

Rose

The group of girls at the party sneered her way, and circled around the lonely Jiwoo. They would not let her be. “Please leave me alone!” Jiwoo shouted as she began to run away from the circle. One of the girls shouted after her, “Your mother calls you a disappointment, right?” Jiwoo ran into the bathroom, went into the largest mirror stall, and reached into her bag pocket. “If I just take these, my mind won’t have to think anymore." She opened the bottle, and spilled pills into her hand. She plopped them into , and went up to the sink, turned her head so she can drink some of the water coming from the sink, and shut the faucet off. Jiwoo then stood in front of the full body mirror, and began to swallow the pills in .

"Chuu?? Chuu?? Are you okay?" Yves, standing in the corner with a group of friends, saw the bullying happen and as soon as she was grasping what was happening, she ran and followed Chuu into the bathroom to see if she was okay. Yves continued running after Chuu, finally catching up a little and entering the bathroom. “Chuu?” Yves said into the bathroom air. She had heard some shuffling coming from the biggest mirror stall. “Chuu, please open up, I know you are in there…” There was no response, and Yves began to worry. She knows about Jiwoo’s self harm. Now Yves is afraid if Jiwoo would take it further. “Jiwoo?” She banged on the door, but no response was received. Yves looked down, and noticed that between the floor and the bottom of the door, there is enough space that she could fit if she crawled under. So that is what she did.

 

“Jiwoo!!” Yves ran behind Chuu, shaking as she grabbed the pill bottle from her hand. “Please, tell me you didn’t…Talk to me…” As Yves was talking, she was hugging Chuu from behind. “Please…” Chuu’s eyes began to close. “Jiwoo!!” Her eyes slowly closed, and her back slumped against Yve’s torso front. Yves yelling Chuu’s name was the last thing that Chuu heard before she fainted and her mind slipped into black. Yves panicked, grabbed her cell phone and dialed 911.

“It’s okay Jiwoo, you will be okay…” Yves held the passed out 18 year old, waiting frantically for the ambulance. At least her pulse was still going.

Some time passed, and the ambulance came into the bathroom and wheeled Chuu out on a stretcher.

Yves washed the last dish in her single-room dorm sink. Jiwoo is laying on Yves’ couch, it has been five days since Jiwoo tried to commit suicide, and she just got released from the hospital.

Jiwoo’s mother died when Jiwoo was 17, the year before she was supposed to go to college. Ever since then Jiwoo found no reason to be alive. Then when she came to college, this group of girls decided to pick on Chuu ever since the first day of her business class. They were jealous of her talent, how smart she is, you name it. Jiwoo felt hopeless and suicidal, but still continued to go on to college. But what she didn’t expect was an angel to come and give meaning to her life again. It was Yves third year of college, she hadn’t known Chuu for long, as they met in the college’s marketing club. Ever since Yves met Chuu, she knew there was something so special about her, but could also tell that Jiwoo carried a lot on her shoulders. Chuu was cute, kind, sweet, and would do anything for anyone and will drop everything to help one person. Little did Jiwoo know, that Yves was gaining feelings for Chuu day by day. The marketing club was having a party, sort of a little get together, and Yves went with her group of friends, but didn’t expect to see Chuu.

 

Yves walked over to the couch where Chuu was lying down. She slowly brushed a peice of Chuu's bangs to the side. Jiwoo's eyes slowly opened, a dazed look painted her face. "How are you feeling dear?" Yves asked Chuu. "Hmm, I am okay, I think I rested enough, thank you." Yves had been so kind to her this whole time, depsite them not being the closest of friends. Yves was genuinely very sweet, and when she called Jiwoo dear, it made Chuu's heart skip a beat. Yves smiled at Chuu, who was still lying on the couch. "Okay, well dinner will be ready soon, so please relax and I will come and bring you a plate, okay?" There was so much warmth in Yves voice, that she felt healed even when just listening to her.