Chapter Three: It Runs In the Family

7 Years Too Late
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HI REMEMBER HOW I SAID SATURDAY NIGHT AND THEN I FORGOT THAT I HAD AN EIGHT HOUR REHEARSAL/PERFORMANCE COMBO LMAO SORRY~~~~

Anyhow here have a chapter ily <3 <3 <3

 

Moon smiled as he took a glass of champagne from one of the women walking around with trays full of food and drink. He took a long sip and nodded slightly, humming at the taste.

 

“Enjoying yourself?”

 

Moon rolled his eyes, a wry smile twisting at his lips. “Thoroughly,” he said. “Though there will be more time to enjoy myself when this is all over.” He looked around the room, assessing the layout and the people crowding the floor. He turned slightly when he felt a soft touch on his shoulder and came face-to-face with a young woman in a flattering lilac gown, with small silver roses glinting in her delicately done hair.

 

“Excuse me,” she said politely. “My name is Min Jinae. I don’t think I’ve seen you around before. Are you new?”

 

Moon smiled slightly and bowed in respect, pulling his mask off of his face and holding out his hand for her to shake. “My name is Jung Jongup,” he said. “I’m here to represent LeeYung Enterprises.”

 

Jinae smiled. “That explains it,” she said. “You’re the new hire, aren’t you?”

 

Moon rose a brow and nodded. “That I am,” he confirmed. “This is my first event, so I’m a bit lost as to what I’m supposed to do.” He grinned crookedly and tipped his champagne glass.

 

Jinae laughed and batted her eyes at him, leaning in a bit too close for comfort. “I’d be happy to show you the ropes,” she purred, winking up at him.

 

Moon’s smile turned a bit tense, and his eyes hardened. “I think I’ll be fine, Jinae-noona,” he said simply. “I should mingle. Have a good day.” He turned and began walking away, ignoring her pout behind him.

 

“No need to be so rude to the poor girl. She was quite pretty.”

 

Moon snorted, dipping his head to another man as he passed. “Shut up, Youngjae,” he muttered. His best friends laughter sounded through his earpiece, and he shook his head and walked on, making his way to the back of the crowd just as Lee Jaebum took the stand at the head of the room. Immediately, everyone fell silent and turned to listen as he began his speech.

 

“In the back right corner of the room, there’s a door in a blind spot of the security cameras. It should lead into a hall, and I can get you easily to your bag from there. I’ll start looping the cameras.”

 

Moon slipped through the aforementioned door and into the hall, his gaze flicking around the dark corners to make sure he was completely alone. The hall was narrow and full of stairs, and the lights were dim, leading him to believe that it was the maintenance hall he’d noticed in the map of the building he’d studied.

 

“Take the first left up ahead.”

 

Moon followed Youngjae’s instructions until he’d made it to where he’d left his bag, and he quickly pulled it open and shut himself in an empty supply closet.

 

When he emerged again, not five minutes later, he’d ditched the fancy tuxedo in favor of a leather jacket and black gloves, jeans, and boots. He paused in the hall, duffle bag thrown over his shoulder, and slipped on his forest green mask. The mask itself was made of hard green kevlar and fitted to his face exactly, with the inside padded with soft black fabric. A small speaker rested in the black line down the center, and it worked to change his voice just enough so that it was unrecognizable. Moon took a moment to connect his com to his mask and make sure the speaker itself was off before he started back down the hall.

 

“Come in!” Youngjae called suddenly. “Oh! Daehyun! What are you doing here?”

 

Moon narrowed his eyes. “What’s going on?” he asked.

 

Youngjae cleared his throat on the other end of the line, but didn’t answer for a few moments, only making a few prompting sounds. Another voice was barely audible, though Moon couldn’t understand it. “Sorry, Daehyun. Jung is actually at work right now, but I have him on the phone.” Another inaudible comment. “Yeah, sure. Hey, Jung, Daehyun is wondering when you’ll be home. He wanted to ask you something.”

 

Moon scoffed as he made his way down the hall. “He can wait until dinner tonight,” he said shortly. “It’ll be at least a few hours until I make it home, pending the police investigation.” He reached up and adjusted the volume on his com so he could hear Daehyun’s comments.

 

“He won’t be home for a few hours,” Youngjae said quickly. “He’s at some political banquet thing to represent his company. It’ll probably be somewhere between four and five when he gets home. But he’s going to be really tired, too, and he’s the one making dinner tonight.”

 

“Oh… That’s alright, then. I guess I can ask him tonight. Would you mind company? Everyone else is busy and I have the day off, so I’m feeling pretty lonely.” Moon could practically hear the older man’s nervous smile as he silently ran up a small flight of stairs.

 

“No, no I don’t mind at all!” Meaningless chatter started on the other end of the com and Moon sighed as he stashed his bag in a dark, hidden corner and pulled out a few of his favorite knives. He slid through the railing on one of the catwalks and onto a thin bar that lined up perfectly with the stand, walking along it easily. He dropped into a crouch and surveyed the crowd for a few moments.

 

“Youngjae,” he snapped.

 

“And that’s when- Oh, right. What’s up?”

 

“Thanks for paying attention,” Moon grumbled, rolling his eyes.

 

“Don’t give me that attitude, you little . What do you want?”

 

Moon snorted. “A way out, maybe?”

 

Youngjae was quiet for a few moments. “Yeah, I guess that might be helpful, huh? Sorry.” There were a few more moments of silence before Youngjae sighed. “It looks like the way you got there is your best bet. I can’t really send you directions, but I can give them to you?”

 

Moon muttered an affirmative and listened as Youngjae gave discreet directions, keenly aware of Daehyun listening in the background. “Oh yeah! We can see you, too! We’re watching the banquet on the news! Daehyun wants to see, but it looks boring.”

 

Moon snorted. “It’s about to be a lot less, don’t you worry.”

 

“He says it is! The food’s good though.” Youngjae and Daehyun laughed on the other side of the line and began to chatter again about the banquet they were watching. Moon fell silent for a few moments, taking a few deep, steadying breaths. When his eyes opened again they were hard and determined. He reached up and flipped on the speaker in his mask, and then stepped forward and off the bar.

 

He fell fast and hard, landing on a guard and using him as a springboard to get behind Lee. Before anyone in the room had time to blink, two blades were pressed to Lee’s throat. Silence fell over the room and Lee let out a choked gasp, beginning to tremble beneath Moon’s touch. Moon narrowed his eyes, looking over the crowd silently, making no move even as the guards remaining on the stand cocked their guns and aimed.

 

“Oh my God.” Daehyun’s voice came through his earpiece, and he heard Youngjae’s breath hitch.

 

“J-Jung…” His best friend played his part well, he’d certainly give him that.

 

“The Matoki send their regards,” he said simply. Horrified screams rang through the room as he ripped the blades through Lee’s throat and leaped away before any of the guards could shoot.

 

“Jung! Get out of there!”

 

Moon ignored Youngjae’s desperate pleading- it was all an act, anyway- in favor of tearing a gun from one of the guard’s hands and sweeping his legs out from under him, slamming his heavy boot into his head to knock him out once he was on the ground. Three to go. He whipped around and shot without looking, hitting another guard in the stomach and sending him crumpling to the ground. Two. He hit the ground and rolled when a heavy hit landed against his side, making his way smoothly to his feet. He faced the last two guards and cocked his head, not even bothering to try and conceal the move as he pulled two knives from his jacket and threw them, hitting both guards in the throat before they could even think to shoot.

 

With the guards successfully disposed of, he turned to face the crowd, only to find that they’d all found their way out of the building. Relief filled him that he wouldn’t have to deal with any of them, but he found the reporter’s camera still on its stand and recording. Youngjae must have made sure they couldn’t switch from that feed.

 

“He- he got out. Oh my god. Jung is- he’s safe, hyung! Jung, please come home! I need to- I ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter