summer's beginning

Sugar

“Did you manage to order?” Bona frantically asks when Exy returns to the table.

“Of course, why do you doubt me so much!” Exy protests.

“Well, your Chinese is horrible,” Bona doesn’t hold back.

“Don’t act like yours is amazing, Kim Jiyeon,” Exy scowls when she seats herself down on the remaining empty seat by the table. “Oh right, the girl is pretty friendly. We had a nice talk, but not much because it was in Chinese. Maybe Xuanyi can try speaking to her another time? She even remembers your order,” Exy speaks rather enthusiastically.

“Really?” Xuanyi’s voice is soft and airy but her eyes widen to speak for her. Xuanyi turns to the counter and watches as the said girl conscientiously moves around the blender, the fridge and everywhere around the counter to prepare their drinks.

“Yeah, and she was understandable with my terrible language even before I told her we were exchange students,” Exy nods her head when speaking with a proud smile on her face.

“Are you hitting on her?” Xuanyi raises an eyebrow, before she begins to chuckle at her own joke.

“No, I’ll leave that to you,” Exy replies with a wink that disgusts Xuanyi and Bona while sliding her hand over to Xuanyi, but her earlier words about the girl’s kindness somehow remain Xuanyi’s mind.



Xuanyi has returned to the cafe the next day with an excited soul to meet the girl Exy has been telling her about. She doesn’t know what’s driving her; she isn’t usually this friendly and has always been shy to new people. But something about the part-timer before her at the counter intrigues her. “And your name is?” she asks, wary of how she sounds.

The girl doesn’t answer her, obviously startled, so she looks to her name tag. “Meng Meiqi,” Xuanyi reads from the nametag pinned on her apron, her lips curving into a smile. “Nice to meet you, I am Wu Xuanyi!”



On a Wednesday the sunshine begins to intensify, Meiqi, leaning over the counter, spots the very person she has been waiting for from the end of the turn at the road through the glass walls around the cafe. With a bright smile, Meiqi begins preparing the drink she gets to happily prepare for two times every week since she started working. It’s her first time part-timing and her experience has been going great so far with amazing co-workers too, Meiqi thinks. It makes her laugh when she recalls her initial reason of trying to earn a bit of money during this free time: to save up and dye her hair. Right, and to attend a dance school- that makes it sound better. Three months have definitely been enough to sustain dance lessons till university starts, but her reasons have now changed.

Meiqi cannot resist the fluctuating excitement levels within her at the thought of Xuanyi arriving shortly. She doesn’t understand what she’s feeling nor why she’s feeling this way, but decides to put them off and instead channels her enthusiasm into diligently making a drink for Xuanyi.

When the appreciated customer walks through the door, as signalled by the chime, Meiqi is almost done with the beverage. While Xuanyi walks towards her usual seat, Meiqi walks over with the drink in hand, as well as a straw and a piece of serviette.

“It’s on me today,” her words shock the girl.

“What? No!” Xuanyi rejects immediately. Meiqi lightly chuckles at the expression on the older girl’s face.

“Or I’ll buy you a drink next time when you finally get into university,” Xuanyi declares.

“What?” it is Meiqi’s turn to be stumped.

“It’s on! By then you won’t be working anymore, will you?” Xuanyi casually reasons.

“But this-” Meiqi pauses, wondering how she should explain herself. “It’s the weekly free drink staff are entitled to. I’ve had enough after three months,” Meiqi waves her hands while speaking.

“It’s alright, then I’ll treat you as a friend,” Xuanyi plainly replies. "Wait, but that's right, you're tired of this. Something else then," Xuanyi continues, unrealising of Meiqi's silence.

Stunned, Meiqi looks straight at Xuanyi. Friend?

“We can be friends right?” Xuanyi then notices Meiqi’s reticence.

Meiqi digests the words then. A small smile creeps up on her lips. Slowly, she lowers her head into a nod.

“Are you busy? Would you like to have a seat?” Xuanyi invites her. Meiqi feels her heart skip a beat- a familiar feeling whenever Xuanyi is around for three months now. Her heart flutters while she remains in disbelief at the thought of actually joining Xuanyi at her table, hanging out as if they know each other.

Meiqi turns to look at the counter. She sees Cheng Xiao, who gives her an understanding smile and a nod in approval. Meiqi gives a nod in gratitude, before agreeing to Xuanyi’s invite after taking a deep breath of anticipation.

“It’s the summer holidays soon, and my friends have gone back to Korea,” Xuanyi first explains the absence of Bona and Exy.

“I see,” Meiqi nods her head, “the one named Exy did say.”

Xuanyi chuckles, “So she’s been telling you a lot?” asking between laughter. “Then her Mandarin must be better than I think it is,” she adds.

Meiqi cannot take her eyes off Xuanyi. When Xuanyi laughs, Meiqi feels like she’s been surrounded by magic. Part of Meiqi feels as if they are the only people in the world and wishes to keep Xuanyi for herself.

Nevertheless, Meiqi tries to get the conversation going, not wanting it to end any sooner. “Do you speak Korean with them?” Meiqi asks.

“Yeah! That’s how we grew close actually,” Xuanyi says, “I’m not usually friendly with new people.”

“So you speak Korean,” Meiqi nods her head while talking.

“Yeah I do,” Xuanyi smiles. “I’ve learnt it when I was younger because being alone in the city was boring,” unknowingly she lets her past slip from her tongue. But when she realises it a second later from the surprise and confusion on Meiqi’s face, she figures that she doesn’t actually mind Meiqi knowing it. Something tells her to trust Meiqi, and she doesn't really intend on taking time to question it.

“I went to Beijing to an arts school since I was twelve. Stepped out of home alone, all the way to the city as a young girl. I’m here now after many complications but, not quite off track that dream,” Xuanyi smiles, her eyes down on her fiddling fingers.

As Meiqi is taken aback by the information, her heart swells in respect and admiration for the girl before her. Meiqi gleams, nodding her head in understanding.

“Where are you from?” the frozen Meiqi is shaken by a question.

“I’m from Luoyang,” Meiqi answers, “My family came over when my father got a job offer.”

“I see,” Xuanyi nods, “I’m from Hainan,” she adds.

Meiqi realises that she has forgotten to reciprocate the question only upon hearing Xuanyi’s reply. Her jaw drops upon the realisation: “Hainan to Beijing?” Meiqi’s eyes widen when she speaks. Alone? At the mere age of twelve?

“You’re amazing,” Meiqi only hears the awe in her tone after the words leave , and her ears heat up in embarrassment.

“Am not,” Xuanyi shakes her head with a sheepish smile. “I’m sure you are too, spending your free time working instead of lazing around like I would have,” Xuanyi looks to Meiqi with warm eyes and returns the compliment. Meiqi recalls her lame reason of taking up a part-time job, and thinks she doesn’t deserve such kind words, but a sense of attachment to the girl sitting across her grows.

Something is beating Meiqi up from the inside for not clarifying herself, so she comes clean. “I’m doing this to save up for dance lessons and to dye my hair,” she admits while laughing at herself.

“To dye your hair,” Xuanyi laughs with her. “And dance lessons! You dance,” she speaks in awe.

Meiqi’s cheeks heat up at the way Xuanyi speaks. It was not in her intentions to gain another compliment from Xuanyi. She looks up to face Xuanyi and when their eyes meet, her breath stops short and she can feel her heart rapidly thumping against her chest.

“It was nice talking to you! I think I'll have to get back to work,” Meiqi tries to escape once she snaps out of her daze.

“Oh, I'm sorry for keeping you back!” Xuanyi turns apologetic, which makes Meiqi apologetic as well.

“No, don't be!” Meiqi frantically waves her hands, “It was really nice talking to you,” Meiqi sincerely thanks, and with a bow, she stands up and pushes the chair in.

“Same here,” Xuanyi's eyes twinkle when she smiles- something that Meiqi can't seem to get enough of; it just makes Meiqi want to see more of it. “Let's talk more another time,” she adds.

The suggestion sends Meiqi over the moon. “Definitely,” Meiqi replies with the widest smile her lips have ever shown.

And as Meiqi busies herself with her job at the counter, catching glimpses of Xuanyi attentively typing away on her laptop, Meiqi uncontrollably feels drawn towards her. Something about Xuanyi has captivated her- the thought of it sends her chills, but Meiqi undoubtedly wishes to become closer to Xuanyi.

Meiqi has never liked the summer; she’s always been troubled by the heat, but something tells her that this summer is different, that she will particularly like this summer. Meiqi closes her eyes and releases her breath, and in her mind she sees herself enjoying the days ahead. Meeting Xuanyi has got to be the best thing happening in her life in a while, and Meiqi knows spending time getting to know Xuanyi better will definitely make this summer the best one she’s ever lived.

“Meiqi, come have one,” a call from a senior employee interrupts her thoughts. She sees Xiaoxiao appearing out of the kitchen with a freshly baked cookie, who shows her wide eyes of approval. Meiqi’s eyes sparkle in excitement. Immediately she makes her way into the kitchen, and a tray of cookies greet her. She picks one up and savours it. The sweetness spreads in as warmth spreading in her heart. Taking another bite as the taste grows addictive, Meiqi cannot help but feel happy just by the sweet taste of the cookie in . While Meiqi enjoys her cookie, she cannot help but marvel at how amazing her day is going. To more days like today, Meiqi silently wishes, and it’ll be one summer to remember.

And Xuanyi the lead of the story in her summer.