Two

Cute and Shy

What there was between them wasn’t something that was said or admitted, but they both knew, they were both aware, that the other had feelings for them.

After the incident, they had gone inside to the warmth of their house, dried off, and spent the rest of the day watching movies. It felt unusually comfortable between them, like it always had been, but a little more.

The thought of the kiss had lingered at the back of their minds, but neither of them said anything or brought it up.

There were moments where Jisun had treaded on the topic but Jiwon would avoid it, telling her to pay attention to the movie or to get more snacks. It stung a bit in Jisun's heart for the older girl to respond that way but Jisun figured it might've been too early to talk about it. She thought that maybe a little time should pass before they talk about it.

Soon enough, it was Christmas. Jiwon was going to go to Chaeyoung's mother's house to celebrate that day. Nagyung had taken a flight back to Korea to spend with her family already since it was the holidays. When Jiwon woke up that morning, she looked out the window and squinted at how white everything was.

It snowed again, like it had a few days ago.

Heading off to get ready, Jiwon noticed Jisun coming out from the bathroom. Jisun caught Jiwon's eyes and smiled, "Merry Christmas." Her soft voice rang out, leaving Jiwon's mind to turn to mush.

"Merry Christmas to you too."

That's when Jiwon realized, where was Jisun going to go that day?

"Have fun with Chaeyoung, bring home some presents and cookies." A cheeky smile appeared on Jisun's face before the girl disappeared into her bedroom. Jiwon bit the inside of her cheek before getting ready.

When she exited the bathroom and entered the dining room, Jisun was preparing herself some hot chocolate. Jisun turned at the sound of someone walking.

"Hey." She smiled. Jiwon stared for a few seconds, scanning Jisun up and down. She was wearing a black sweater that was a few sizes bigger than normal, pink pajama pants that looked suited for a large baby, and her hair was up in a messy bun yet Jiwon couldn't have imagined her to look more beautiful than she did right then.

"What time are you leaving for Chaeyoung's?" Jisun asked, holding the mug, her sleeves cover both her hands as she took a seat at the counter. Jiwon took the seat next to her, "Uhm, soon." She glanced at the clock, it was eight and the plan was to be at Chaeyoung's apartment by nine.

Jisun nodded, "Is Chaeyoung coming by to pick you up?"

"Yeah." Jiwon replied, the silence starting to develop.

Yesterday, the two of them stayed inside all day where their heater kept them warm as they watched cheesy Christmas shows for the fun of it. Jiwon had never had so much fun in her whole life. 

Jisun gave a smile, "Is it gonna be your first time spending Christmas with her family?"

"No, I spent Christmas with them I was very little as well. And, Jisun," Jiwon changed the topic. Jisun looked down at the mug that was keeping her chilly fingers warm.

"Are you not going anywhere today?" The question Jisun was trying to avoid had been brought up. Jisun shook her head, "I stopped celebrating Christmas a long time ago." She let out bitter smile.

Why didn't Chaeyoung or Nagyung invite her?

As if reading her mind, Jisun spoke again, "Chaeyoung and Nagyung had always invited me but I would feel like such an intruder so I never went." Jisun stood and dumped the rest of her hot chocolate into the sink, quickly washing the cup.

"But anyways, have fun for me, okay?" Jisun dried her hands, turning her head to look at Jiwon who stood from her chair.

As Jisun passed her, Jiwon took hold of her wrist, "Go with me."

The younger girl looked up, slightly shocked, "I already said I would feel like an intruder."

"Please?"

"Jiwon-"

"You won't feel like an intruder. You'll feel welcomed. Chaeyoung's parents are amazing people, Jisun. They won't let you feel like you're barging in."

"But they don't even know me." Jisun retorted, "How am I gonna spend Christmas with people I don't even know?"

Jiwon frowned, "Well you know Chaeyoung and I, there's two people you know. Besides, I won't leave your side the whole time, you'll never be lonely."

Jisun blinked, "But.."

Warm hands cupped her cheeks, "You're going to go." Jiwon said in a firm tone. Jisun's eyebrows furrowed together and Jiwon pouted, "Go. For me?" She said lightly, "Please?"

At the moment Jisun couldn't really think. Not with Jiwon's face so close to her and her cheeks being cupped by soft hands.

"I..." Jisun trailed off, looking into of pair of pleading eyes. She sighed, "Fine."

Jiwon squealed and grinned widely before hugging the girl around the shoulders, "You won't regret it, Jisun!" 

She leaned out the hug and placed her lips onto the girl's cheek, letting it linger there for a moment, "Now go get ready, we're leaving soon." She whispered, her breath fanning against Jisun's cheek.

Jisun blushed wildly before nodding, "O-okay."

Jiwon smiled and released Jisun from her hold.

-

Jisun stood off to the side as she watched Jiwon hug her aunt, uncle, and cousins. Chaeyoung gave hugs to her family members as well.

"You've grown so much!" Mrs. Lee exclaimed in her usual happy tone, something that Chaeyoung had definitely picked up. And like Jisun had expected, she felt like she was barging in on the happy family, she didn’t feel very welcomed.

Jiwon looked over and saw Jisun, reaching out to take the girl’s hand and pulling her in place next to her, “This is my friend, Jisun.” She smiled.

The Lee parents smiled warmly, “Wow, you’re so pretty!” Jisun’s cheeks warmed up, “Thank you.” She replied lightly.

“She’s my friend, too, you know?” Chaeyoung laughed, wrapping an arm around Jisun’s shoulders, “She’s older than she looks.”

Jisun let out a shy giggle, “Not really.” Jiwon’s hand slid down, interlocking their fingers together.

“Wow, you seriously are beautiful.” Mr. Lee commented. Jisun didn’t know how to respond so she smiled, her cheeks turning pink. Jiwon grinned and stared at the girl.

“You seriously are beautiful.” Jiwon repeated and Jisun’s heart did multiple flips and somersaults.

-

It was time to open presents. The day had gone by quickly with laughter and now the sun was starting to set and the children were getting quieter. Jiwon had stuck to her promise to be besides Jisun the whole time, literally holding her hand the entire day.

“I’m sorry, Jisun-ah, if Chaeyoung had told me you were coming I would’ve gotten a present for you.” Mrs. Lee apologized in a caring tone. Jisun’s heart swelled up at the kindness from the lady she had only met today, “Oh no, it’s okay, Mrs. Lee. Thank you.”

Jisun sat on the couch, Jiwon’s hand was placed on her thigh lightly as they watched the children open presents, happy squeals and yells were brought out. The brunette couldn’t help but think about the times she spent with her family.

She remembered how she used to be the older sister that got her little brothers and sisters presents that’d get them so happy. 

The looks on the children today reminded her so much of her own siblings.

She remembered her mother getting her the car she still had to this day. She remembered how happy she was and how she hugged her mother tightly, telling her that she loved her.

Her father had given her a ring that she still wore everyday. 

The memories brought tears to her eyes. Not wanting anyone to see, Jisun quietly excused herself to the bathroom but Jiwon already knew she didn’t really need to go to the bathroom.

Following the girl, Jiwon stopped Jisun from closing the bathroom door. Jisun gasped as Jiwon entered the bathroom with her, closing the door and locking it before turning to her.

Jiwon was overwhelmed to see the tears that were already pouring out of Jisun’s eyes. She frowned and pulled Jisun’s small body closer by her waist, gently holding her fragile body. Jisun turned her head and placed it against Jiwon’s shoulder.

Jiwon leaned back a little, looking down at Jisun’s face. Jisun sniffed and stared up at Jiwon’s eyes. Jiwon used one hand to wipe the tears from Jisun’s pale face. They didn’t talk because Jiwon already knew why Jisun was crying.

Jisun was shaking but she had stopped crying. She took a step back away from Jiwon and turned to the sink, washing her face to get rid of the tear stains. Jiwon stood next to the girl, watching her dry her face, sniffing occasionally.

The older girl was zoning out so much that she didn’t have time to realize the soft pair of lips that landed on her cheek.

“Thank you.”

-

They came home late at night and the snow was still falling. Jiwon held Jisun’s hand as she got out the car, not wanting the girl to slip on any ice that was on the ground. When they entered the house, they both walked to the couch where they sat down.

Jiwon spoke up, “It wasn’t that bad, was it?” Jisun looked over, “It wasn’t that bad.” She smiled. The only light in the room was from the street lamps outside, peering in through the window.

“Chaeyoung’s family is really nice.” Jisun commented.

“Yeah..” The older girl agreed. Jisun glanced over a few times before looking away. Jiwon bit her lip, “What is it?”

Jisun shook her head, “Nothing.”

Yet, the last time Jisun had said it was ‘Nothing’ it had turned out to actually be something.

“Tell me.”

“Look, it’s late. Let’s just go to sleep.” Jisun breathed deeply, standing from the couch. Jiwon stood as well, tugging on Jisun’s shirt, “Jisun, say it.” The girl turned around and had to place her hands on Jiwon’s shoulders because of the small distance between them.

It wasn’t much longer until Jiwon was seated on the couch again with Jisun straddling her, their lips locked. Being the  less experienced one, Jiwon let Jisun take control. Somehow, Jisun’s lips found their way to Jiwon’s collarbone.

Small mewls of approval left Jiwon’s lips and Jisun felt a rush of heat flow through her body. That’s when Jisun snapped back to reality. She leaned away with a small gasp, staring at the flustered Jiwon who was breathing just as hard as she was.

“I’m.. I-I’m sorry.” Jisun hurried off of Jiwon’s lap and stood, clenching her fists together. How could she be so careless?

“Jisun-”

Jisun couldn’t look Jiwon in the eyes. They were both in the same state. They were confused and.. scared.

“Jiwon, do you like me?”

“Y-Yes, I do.”

Jisun felt happy by Jiwon’s answer but some part of her wanted Jiwon to say ‘No’. She didn’t want Jiwon to go through the pain that she had gone through of losing her loved ones.

Jiwon stood up slowly, “I’m scared, though.” She whispered, “Of Chaeyoung and my other family finding out.” Jisun expected her to say that yet it still stung a bit in her heart.

“So, we can either forget this ever happened,” Jisun was staring at the ground, “Or we can fight our way through this.”

“I choose the second option.”

-


“What’re you doing?” Jiwon asked, plopping onto the bed, right next to Jisun. Jisun focused her eyes on the laptop, “Finding a job.”

“Oooh, what kind of job do you want?” Jiwon looked at the screen, her arm sneaking around Jisun’s waist from the back as they both laid on their stomachs.

“Not sure.” Jisun mumbles, scooting closer to Jiwon. The other girl scoffed, “Not sure? Didn’t you study in psychology? Be a therapist or something.” 

Jisun turned her head, “When did I ever tell you I studied in psychology?”

Jiwon grinned, “You didn’t, but I knew.”

Jisun rolled her eyes, “Stalker.” She said, turning her attention back to the laptop. Jiwon’s fingers began to tickle Jisun’s waist, “What did you call me?”

Jisun squealed and to her back, “No! Stop tickling me!” She exclaimed. Jiwon giggled at the struggling girl beneath her, “What did you call me?” She repeated.

“Nothing! I didn’t call you anything!” She yelled. Jiwon laughed loudly, stopping her tickle attack and leaning down, moving the hair away from Jisun’s face and pecking the girl’s lips.

“Good.”

-

“This couch is too small to fit all four of us! Chaeyoung get off my leg!” Nagyung exclaimed, pushing Chaeyoung off of the couch.

“What the hell!” Chaeyoung yelled, smacking Nagyung’s knee.

Jisun raised an eyebrow at her two friends, “You wanted to have a movie night at my house and now you’re complaining.”

Chaeyoung pointed a finger at Jisun, “You’re the lightest out of all of us so you should sit on someone’s lap.”

Without any other words, Jiwon put her hands on Jisun’s waist, helping the girl onto her lap.

“There, now get off the floor my dear cousin, you’re going to get dirty.” Jiwon smiled innocently. 

Nagyung snickered, “She already is dirty.”

“Shut up, Nagyung.” Chaeyoung said through her teeth, getting back onto the couch.

“Dirty as in physically dirty or dirty as in..” Jiwon trailed off. Chaeyoung’s cheeks flared up, “Start the damn movie.”

Jisun turned and looked at Jiwon, wiggling her eyebrows, “Oooh.” She cooed.

Nagyung laughed, pressing the start button on the remote.

And with that, Jiwon’s arms encircled around Jisun’s waist, pulling her close as the movie began.

-

“Are you guys dating?” Nagyung asked, half-joking, half-serious. Jiwon smiled, “Yes.” She replied.

“Really?!” Chaeyoung gasped, jumping out of her seat. Nagyung made a loud cheering sound, “I told you they were!”

Jisun looked at Jiwon with a confused look before turning her eyes back to Nagyung, “What do you mean?”

Chaeyoung widened her eyes, “Dammit!”

“You owe me fifty dollars, missy!” Nagyung stood up, pointing a finger at Chaeyoung.

Jisun’s mouth opened in shock, “What’s happening?”

Chaeyoung glared at Jisun, “Why didn’t you tell me you were dating my cousin!?”

“B-Because!”

Nagyung wrapped her arm around Chaeyoung’s shoulders, “I told you they were dating.” She said smugly.

Chaeyoung smacked Nagyung’s arm off of her.

Jiwon raised her eyebrows, “You’re not mad at me?”

Chaeyoung laughed, “Homouality isn’t something to look down upon.” 

Nagyung joined in, “A.K.A, Chaeyoung is also very gay.”

Jisun’s eyes were wide open. Jiwon smiled and turned to hug Jisun, “See? They wouldn’t have left you if you told them you were gay.”

Suddenly Nagyung joined in on the hug, wrapping both her arms around the two girls on the couch, “Group hug!”

Chaeyoung was about to walk away until Nagyung grabbed her shirt and pulled her closer, “Group hug!” She repeated, arm secured tightly around Chaeyoung’s waist.

Chaeyoung groaned but smiled afterwards.

“I can’t breathe.” Jisun choked out, being squished by all three girls.

Nagyung hugged the girls tighter and they all let out a yelp.

“So, now that we’re all gay, let’s go check out some girls.” Nagyung suggested, smiling widely. A smack landed on her head.

“We’re also all in a relationship.” Chaeyoung murmured angrily.

“That doesn’t mean we can’t--”

“Shut up, Nagyung.”

Jisun and Jiwon connected eyes, smiling at the two bickering. Everything was going to be fine.