- 7 -

Merry Go Round VS Roller Coaster

Congratulations, you’re so amazing

Congratulations, how could you be so fine?

How could you trample on me?

I see your smiling face, I guess you forgot everything

How is he? Is he better than me?

Did he erase all your memories about me?

 

Minhyun abruptly pressed the next button to change the song. He wished he could sing along to that song. The lyric was good, yet it didn’t seem to support his condition right now. It was more like being made fun out of it.

Minhyun took his phone. Without thinking he lurked on social media, searching for anything. Until a crazy idea crossed his mind. His fingers slowly typed ‘Jung Yesoo’. He stared at her profile picture when she still had her long hair for a pretty long time. Minhyun smiled at himself. She looks good with short hair, he thought. His thumb scrolled up and down to find out that Yesoo had been inactive on her social media. Her last update was seemingly a candid photo of herself with her new hair that was taken 3 months ago. And if he remembered precisely, it was one day after he broke up with her. The caption written was ‘Taken by Lee H.T’. For one second, it made him furious. Recalling now that he was nothing to her, he just got quiet.

Another crazy idea slipped his mind. Now he was searching for Lee Hwitaek. He wished there was another Hwang Minhyun with a better brain to scold and mock him for being stupid right now. His heart couldn’t take it after looking at Hui’s feeds that was full of 3 things: Yesoo; Hui and Yesoo; Hui and Yesoo showing affection and physical contacts, mostly hugs. Don’t forget the lovey-dovey and sometimes cheesy captions, that Minhyun guessed it must be Hui.

Regret always comes late, they say. Minhyun often told himself to regret nothing. Yet now he regretted that it took a very long time to realize how comforting it was when he had Yesoo’s hand in his. How good it was to have Yesoo taking care of him. How relaxing it was when they spent time together even in complete silence. And now he couldn’t have all that anymore.

 

Minhyun had never felt so weak as if his energy was all drained. He wondered how Yesoo was doing right after they broke up. Was she okay? Was she like this too? Was she not feeling anything that she just got married in 3 months after breaking up? If this overthinking kept going on, his head might explode. He was thinking about taking a day off but Raina as his supervisor would kill him for not showing up since they were working on a project that Minhyun himself initiated.

Minhyun dragged his feet to the lift and was about to close the door when someone screamed to hold the lift. He hurriedly pressed the open button and found Hui entering the lift. Now there were just two of them. He was aware that sooner or later he would meet Hui. But not this soon. "Congratulation on your marriage," Minhyun said with expressionless face.

"Thank you." Hui drew a little smile, and added, "Wait, I think I should be the one who thank you."

Minhyun didn't answer although he didn't understand what it meant.

"Thank you, Hwang Minhyun, for breaking up with Yesoo."

Minhyun's ears felt hot instantly. He tightened his hidden fist inside his coat pocket.

"If I didn't see her swollen eyes after crying her eyes out that night, I wouldn't have the courage to make up my mind and propose to her."

Yesoo... cried? A lot?

"At first I was upset with you. 'Who do you think you are? What do you think you’re doing to her?' That was what I thought." Hui continued talking, still with a slight smile on his face, "But thanks to that, it made me realize my feelings. A feeling when I got to see her smile and laugh when I told her lame jokes. A feeling when she took my hands for the first time. A feeling that convinces me, her presence would complete me and my life. And there is nothing in the world that can replace her. It's just, like, I find myself within her. That's when I swear to myself, I will make her happy whatever it takes."

Minhyun gulped once before bracing himself to speak. "Does Yesoo feel the same way?" He tried hard to not make his shaking voice sound clear.

"I'm not really sure about that. All I know is that she's okay with our relationship right now." Hui paused for a second. "Even if she doesn't, I believe she can and she will learn to genuinely accept my feelings and like me back. Just like how she learned to fake it when things were not going well with you, saying everything was okay."

It seemed a cat got Minhyun's tongue. He couldn't speak. He sensed a great victory in the way Hui talked while showing off his little smile.

"Regardless, thank you once again, for letting her go."

 

»—«

 

Yesoo unusually woke up in the middle of the night, finding the other side of her bed was empty and cold. The pillows looked ruffled and the blanket was messy as well. Rubbing her eyes, she looked at the clock. It was 1.30 in the morning. Yesoo got up from the bed, dragging her feet out of the bedroom to look for Hui who was nowhere to be found in the house. She remembered they went home and had dinner together. The next thing she remembered was a nice deep sleep in the middle of watching TV with Hui in the living room.

Yesoo tried to contact her husband. Yet she found his phone in their bedroom. She thought of letting him be that way, since she knew he must be in his studio or office. Hui's friends told her a lot about his habit of working all night long, or going back to office at late night when he was home already. It wasn't once or twice that he came home very late. But leaving house when he was home already with his wife? This was the first time and Yesoo was quite flustered. She quickly called Hyojong and Wooseok, Hui's closest producer buddies.

Yesoo ordered a taxi, heading to Hyojong's apartment where Hui was somewhat missing in action. She didn't know why she left home at 2 AM just to pick her husband up, when she could have waited at home and slept peacefully and then meet him the next morning.

"Hey, sorry for intruding at dawn like this," she greeted the house owner when he opened the door for her.

"It's okay. They don't call me Dawn for nothing," Hyojong said jokingly. "Hui's inside with Hyunggu. Come on in."

Yesoo smiled and followed him to the living room. Wooseok and Yuto was there too. Those guys seemed to be still on fire working on their stuff meanwhile she looked like a living dead with literally bare face and only wearing pajamas and big coat.

"Hey, get Hyunggu out," Hyojong ordered to Wooseok who turned out to be playing games. In seconds Wooseok dragged Hyunggu out of Hyojong's room that were designed to be his working space. "You can go in," Hyojong said to Yesoo, who just apologized to Hyunggu for interrupting whatever they were working on.

Yesoo thanked the boys and headed to the room Hyojong pointed at. She knocked before entering the room slowly. "May I come in?"

Hui was beyond surprised to find his wife all the way there. He immediately saved his work to prevent losing it before welcoming Yesoo with a big hug and a peck on her forehead. "What are you doing here? At this hour?"

"I could ask you the same." Yesoo flashed a smile without breaking the hug.

"I'm working?" Hui said, chuckling.

"I know." Yesoo let out a chuckle too.

Hui loosened his embrace to close the door. "Why don't you wait at home? I'd be home by morning." Hui sat her on a table beside Hyojong's computer desk and got back to his seat then adjusted it so he could face her.

"I don't know. I guess I worry too much when I couldn't find you at home. And you're not bringing your phone."

Hui smiled warmly as he gripped her hands in his. "Thank you for worrying, but there is no need to worry. Alright?"

Yesoo nodded.

"Speaking of which, I was the one concerned about something."

"What is it?"

"I..." Hui seemed hesitant. "I saw you and Minhyun yesterday. I was worried. I was afraid for a moment. What if you want to go back to him. What if you choose him over me."

"Hey..."

"I know how much you liked him." Hui looked at Yesoo deep in the eyes. "I..." He gently pulled her closer and made her sit on his lap so he could hug her tightly, snuggling his face against her neck to get a sniff of a sweet fruity scent of his favorite person.

Yesoo patted his cheek and caressed his hair. "Why did you think so?"

"I don't know."

"Don't worry. You know I wouldn't do such thing."

He stretched up his neck to see her face. "I won't let you if you do though," he said, smiling playfully.

Yesoo giggled as she put her arms around Hui's neck.

"Anyway, I bumped into Minhyun too actually."

"And?"

"And he said congratulations." Hui grinned wide. He stared lovingly and sincerely at his best friend for a couple minutes without words. "Thank you, Yesoo, for being with me."

She only nodded and gave a big smile.

Slowly his hand sneaked its way from her waist to her neck, slightly bringing her face down closer to him. He raised his head even more to reach her. Particularly, her lips.

This time she was more relaxed as she gave in. Her lips and Hui's were about to meet when unfortunately Wooseok suddenly slammed the door open, making himself and the couple startled very much. Wooseok apologized dramatically in panic before going out leaving Mr and Mrs Lee Hwitaek. The couple were shocked, and Hui was quite feeling shame as it almost happened. Yet at the same time they found it hilarious now that they laughed it off.

"Hey, remember that this is not your house!" They heard the house owner roaring.

 

------