- 4 -

Merry Go Round VS Roller Coaster

The D-day of Yunhee's wedding was getting closer. And Yesoo wasn't really sure if Hui was being more demanding than usual or he'd been like that since they became close friends. Basically, Hui kept asking to be accompanied for lunch or dinner - sometimes lunch and dinner. What irritated Yesoo the most was that Hui ate at the same chicken restaurant for the past 5 days straight for dinner. Yesoo probably had tried all the menu and she had enough of chicken.

"Hey, let's eat something other than chicken. I'll treat you." Yesoo stopped her step before they arrived at Hui's favorite restaurant, which was only 10 steps away.

Hui pouted. He didn't look annoyed though.

"How about jjajangmyun and jjampong for tonight?" Yesoo naturally linked her arm to Hui's. She slightly tilted her head, facing him. "It's your favorite too. Come on," she let out a little whine. Just a small amount of whining, that hopefully worked as aegyo - something Yesoo always failed.

Fortunately Hui agreed, and saved Yesoo from eating chicken for 6 days in a row.

"You're coming to Yunhee's wedding day?" Hui suddenly asked.

"Yeah, I guess so." It was so unexpected. No, she should have expected it. Maybe Yunhee's wedding was what made Hui act strange these days.

"With whom?"

"I guess with the girls. Hwari, Taehee, Jookyung. We'll meet our friends anyway. It doesn't matter who we're going with, right?"

"Let's go together."

"Then, can we take Hwari and Taehee too?"

"No, we can't." Unexpectedly, Hui raised his voice, shocking the girl for the first time ever.

"Ah, why? Don't you ever heard ‘the more people, the merrier’?" she half yelled back at him.

"Hwari has that band guy. Who is it again? Younghyuk? Younghyun? Ah, whatever." Hui, curling his eyebrows, waved his hand before his face. Even his tone was suddenly higher than usual and that was odd. "As for Taehee. I'll call Doojoon hyung."

Yesoo was about to talk back but unfortunately Hui was faster. "No, Jookyung is not going with us either. I will have Jinho hyung ready for her."

"But..."

"They have their own partners. Do I look like I have one? If I have mine, I wouldn't ask you. It's not like you will go with that Hwang Minhyun anyway. You and I, we lonely people should go together. How good is that?"

That was enough to make Yesoo shut . She got sulky instantly that she turned her face away. It was the first time ever Hui talked that much with such an up and down emotion. He didn't intend to shout at her. But the view in front of him was just too funny that he couldn't help but teasing her. Seeing the short haired girl pouting, he just grinned wide until his eye smile appeared.

"Don't pout like that, you ugly."

Just in time, their food arrived to save the day. "Stop sulking. Here, have some tangsuyuk and gamjajeon."

"I'm not eating," she hissed with her arms crossed.

"Oh, okay. I'll eat all of this."

One second later she changed her mind, recalling she barely had lunch. "I want jjajangmyun," she snapped, still sulking at Hui who was about to have a mouthful of the noodles.

"But it's mine? You eat your jjampong." He slurped the noodles like a vaccuum.

"What is yours? I pay all of this. I want jjajangmyun!" she started to raise her voice while her hand got to snatch his chopstick.

He was shocked by the act of Yesoo who was well known to be calm and well mannered. If it was somebody else, he might have lost it. Since it was Yesoo whom he cherished dearly, he wasn't even annoyed. "Okay, okay. I get it." Hui seemed to think for a moment. "Half-half." Grinning, he thought it would be a win-win solution. In fact, it was.

Now that Yesoo thought a bit deeply about it, she realized that she behaved differently when she was with Minhyun and when she was with Hui. She had been a calm and coolheaded person in her entire life. She rarely exploded even when she was terribly irritated.

When she was with Minhyun, it felt like she had to meet some sort of expectation due to Minhyun's cold and somewhat classy image. It felt like it was necessary to be all graceful, elegant, and sophisticated as much as possible. On the contrary, being with Hui was so much lighter and way more comfortable. She seemed to find new sides of herself. It was funny every time she reminisced how awkward Hui used to be, especially with girls – including her! He had been more open and easy going now, and she was proud of him.

 

»—«

 

"Don't get dolled up too much. It's not your wedding day."

What a nice way to start the day with an annoying nag from your best friend over the phone. Yesoo let out a big sigh, regretting her own decision telling him she needed a new concealer and mascara. This was what happened when you were closer with your guy friend instead of girl friends. It was not that she needed him to buy her or to drive her here and there anyway.

"Forget it! Let's meet up at the venue tonight. I don't want the majesty Hwitaek to wait for a commoner like me," she barked at her phone. She had no idea either why she talked like that. It seemed she got more short-tempered for the past few days. Thanks to someone who was being clingy and needy.

"No way! I'll pick you up."

"Then stop being noisy for a moment!"

"Me? Noisy? When?" he teased.

"I'll hang up." She rolled her eyes.

 

At 5 PM sharp, Hui arrived at Yesoo's house and parked his car. He was thinking should he or should he not enter her house to greet her parents. They had been friends for a long time but not even once they met each other's parents.

Hui sent text to let her know he was there already. In a few minutes, appeared Yesoo in a black suit instead of a dress. To add a feminine touch, she wore a pair of pink pumps that matches her inner top and her clutch. Her make-up was done naturally with peach shades.

"Why are you wearing pants? Don't you have a pretty dress?" Hui, of course, had to blurt out such a comment.

"Why? It's comfortable like this."

Hui gave her a face. Yet deep inside, somehow he was just happy that Yesoo was being herself. "Oh? You wear the earrings I gave you," he said as he noticed the sparkly item hanging on her ears. "They're really pretty, right?"

Yesoo put on a sincere smile to answer him.

Fortunately the one-hour trip to Yunhee's wedding venue was peaceful. All thanks to Yesoo who kept stuffing Hui's mouth with candies and jellies so he couldn't talk much.

Their friends greeted them cheerfully as soon as they got there. Yesoo intended to blend in with the others and walked around to say hi to anyone she knew. But apparently Hui just wouldn't let her, so he sticked to her like a glue and dragged her here and there.

"Hey, Hwitaek. Stay strong, okay?"

"Hwitaek, I'll introduce you to my friends at the office. Don't worry."

"Someday you'll find a good one, Hwitaek."

Hui just smiled coolly to those people saying those same things. He eyed Yesoo and cooed, "Yesoo, this is why I need to go with you. Can you imagine me wandering around by myself and these people say those things to me?"

"Yeah, right."

Later they joined Hwari, Taehee, and Jookyung who were accompanied by their partners, as Hui said a few days ago.

Again, Hui eyed Yesoo as if saying 'see, I told you they come with their plus ones'. And again, Yesoo rolled her eyes.

Suddenly someone patted Hui's back and made him jump excitedly to hug the person calling him. "Jinwoon!"

"Hwitaek, are you doing well?" This Jinwoon guy was as excited as Hui, hugging and patting Hui's back.

"Of course, I am," Hui answered confidently.

"Do you come here alone?"

"No, of course not," he still spoke confidently. "Yesoo, come here for a sec."

Yesoo excused herself from her circles. This guy just wouldn't stop bothering her. She approached Hui who unexpectedly welcomed her by casually putting his arm around Yesoo's waist.

"Remember Jinwoon from the drama club?"

"Oh, yes. From class 4, right?" Yesoo kindly smiled.

"Yes. How are you doing?" Jinwoon said. Seeing Hui's gesture towards Yesoo simply made him conclude something. "Are you guys together now?"

Jinwoon's voice was loud enough to make Yesoo's girl friends turn their heads at the same time. Hui's reaction – laughing in between awkwardness, embarrassment and full of confidence – made the girls, including Yesoo herself, even more confused.

"Yes, we are," Hui stated, smiling with both his lips and eyes. There was no hesitation when he said it.

Yesoo instantly squinted her eyes to him. While her girl friends dropped their jaws.

"No, we are not," Yesoo quickly corrected Hui's statement.

"We are," Hui repeated himself. He emphasized his words by pulling Yesoo closer to him. Then he got a happy, sincere congratulation from Jinwoon before he left them.

Now the 'couple' was faced to 3 pairs of eyes that demanded an explanation. On the other hand, Yesoo was ready to smack Hui down if they were not in a wedding party. She barely could say anything to make any statement. All she could do was looking at Hui in disbelief. No, she didn't hate him for this. She understood that probably he didn't want to look pathetic in this wedding party of his ex-girlfriend. If at least he told her that he had a plan like this, she would have gladly helped him.

"Why did you do that?" Yesoo roared as soon as they got into Hui's car.

He just slightly laughed as he the car engine. Even until they arrived back at Yesoo's house, Hui still didn't give any answer nor explanation to her.

"Hwitaek, have you lost your mind?" Yesoo still bombarded him with question after question.

"I know everything," he uttered. He had finished parking his car and turned off the engine. He just let the radio sound lingered in low volume.

Yesoo looked puzzled. She didn't understand what he meant by he knew everything.

"I know that you broke up with Hwang Minhyun. I knew there was something wrong when I met you with your puffy eyes that other day."

Yesoo became quiet instantly. She didn't remember telling what was going on between her and Minhyun.

"I bumped into Hwang Minhyun several times at the office. You were quite famous because you dated Hwang Minhyun. I noticed his stone face slightly changed whenever his friends mentioned about you." Hui reached an arm to pat Yesoo's back. "Cheer up, dear friend. He doesn't deserve you."

Yesoo chuckled and teared up at the same time. She quickly wiped off her almost falling tears with tissue. "You sound weird when you talk seriously like that."

Hui chuckled. "Come on. Let's get you back home."

They shared a silence moment while walking from the car park until Yesoo's front door.

"I think I should greet your parents," Hui said. "May I meet them?"

"Sure." She then called out her mom and dad to tell she brought a friend. Yesoo's parents gave a warm welcome to Hui and spent a little time to talk with him, meanwhile Yesoo excused herself to do her business in the bathroom. All she wanted to do was quickly removing her make up, so she took her time cleansing her face and let her parents do the talking with Hui.

Yesoo came out of the bathroom just in time when Hui was about to leave. Hui excused himself after giving his final greeting to Yesoo's parents. Being a good friend, Yesoo escorted him until the car park. "What did my parents say?" she asked.

"They say okay."

"Okay? Okay for what?"

Hui pursed his lips and his eyes wandered around for a second. "I asked for your parents’ blessings." He landed a fond and loving gaze at his first best girl friend, then he continued, "I told them I want to marry their one and only daughter."

Looking back at Hui right in the eyes, she blinked her eyes several times with confused expression.