- 1 -

Merry Go Round VS Roller Coaster

The nickname 'stone face' wasn't earned by Hwang Minhyun for nothing. Yet with such a handsome face, the cold image was still lingering all over him because he was well-known to be very quiet. This didn't stop Jung Yesoo from confessing to him 2 years ago. Standing before Yesoo, who was anxious waiting for his answer, Minhyun still maintained the facial expression that makes everyone reluctant to approach him. But slowly he showed his little smile. Great amount of shyness was unexpectedly oozed from that little smile that slowly got wider. Yes, he accepted her.

Both Minhyun and Yesoo were a shy couple in the first 100 days. It felt like riding a roller coaster for children. No big, scary, nerve racking ups and downs, but the excited feeling was there. Aside from that, Yesoo's friends could tell that she was genuinely happy. A fresh smile was always attached on her face. She barely had a bad day. Because seeing Minhyun itself had become her main source of happiness, although Minhyun didn't talk much or do sweet things to her.

And so the days went on. The ride had changed to merry go round. The happiness was still there, but it just went round and round with constant speed although the view was beautiful. Minhyun still had his usual smile. Yesoo still smiled, yet she felt different. The fond feeling of Minhyun didn't change. Yet she couldn't help thinking that something was a bit off.

Yesoo was too afraid to spill it on Minhyun.

"Chuseok holiday is coming. Do you want to go somewhere?" Yesoo asked. They were enjoying a lunch date in Hongdae. Lunch date is a must on the weekend since that's the only time they have to see each other.

Minhyun nodded. But Yesoo couldn't tell if he was excited, if he was anticipating about it, or maybe if he was at least interested. They were going to one year and 9 months together, and Yesoo couldn't believe herself that she didn't know much about Minhyun. She can't even read his mind or his expression. She wouldn't know if Minhyun probably was the opposite who knows everything about her since he never really talked about it. "Where do you want to go?" he asked back.

"I was thinking about Deukryang Island. But that would be too far, I guess."

"Well, we can make option list."

Yesoo nodded.

After paying the bills, they were ready to go outside when Yesoo almost reached out her arm to hold Minhyun's hand. Suddenly her mind was full of thoughts of her relationship. She just remembered, after all this time, she was the one who did the moves first. Confession, first date, second date, third date, and even holding hands.

"Yesoo?" he called, already several steps ahead.

"Yeah, coming up." She finally grabbed her beloved boyfriend's hand.

»—«

Yesoo's plan this weekend was to attend a reunion meeting with her junior high school mates. She was thinking about taking Minhyun along, since she was positive that her friends would bring their plus one. And then they would ask her about her love life, how she finally met Minhyun after being single for 10 years straight, how Minhyun thought about her, and everything. Thinking about that only was already tiring for her.

She was happy. But when she was bombarded by those questions, she felt like she was pretending to be happy. And then she would ask herself, whether she was really happy or just pretending to be happy. When she was drowned in her own thoughts, she bumped into a tall skinny guy with dark strawberry blonde hair.

"Oh!" she exclaimed.

"Oh!" the guy copied her reaction, pointing his finger at her.

"Lee Hwitaek, right?"

"Jung Yesoo?"

Within 3 seconds after recognizing each other, they cheered loudly as they hugged. They were close friends since elementary school until junior high school. Different choice of senior high school had to separate them away. They actually went to the same university, but they barely met because Hwitaek, or Hui for short, was in College of Arts meanwhile Yesoo was in College of Design.

"Are you coming to the reunion tomorrow?" Hui asked.

Yesoo shrugged. "Maybe yes, maybe no. I don't know. How about you?"

"I'll come if you come."

Yesoo squinted her eyes at him.

"What?" This time he shrugged. "I'm just looking for a company. The other guys already had plan."

That was actually a nice offering, she thought, instead of stressing herself thinking about taking Minhyun along or not.

As planned, Yesoo went together with Hui. And as expected, their friends didn't ask much about Yesoo's love life because she went with Hui. Instead, they gave interest in Hui because one of Hui's exes apparently was now a model, and had almost been scouted from that top 3 company.

"I owe you one. Thanks." Yesoo muttered as they walked home.

"For what?"

Yesoo grinned and shrugged. "I don't know. For everything?"

Hui grinned back at her. "Then buy me coffee."

She agreed and they stopped by at the nearest coffee shop. Two cups of iced Americano were served and Hui took them. He even bought some breads despite they just had meal during their reunion.

"I actually cannot believe that Yunhee is getting married," she started conversation. "I hope you're okay." There was a bit of worried expression on her face when she talked about it.

Yunhee was Hui's first girlfriend whom he liked very much and Yesoo was their cupid. Hui was very thankful for her help back then since she really did much to get him closer to Yunhee. He used to be that awkward guy when it comes to girls. Yesoo was one of his very few girl friends he had, even until this recent days when he wasn't very awkward anymore.

Hui chuckled as he bite his chocolate danish. "Yeah, that's an old story."

"Yeah. I remember you liked her that much, I had to help you."

He slightly smiled. He turned his head facing the window. Yesoo could tell that he was staring at nothing since it was dark outside and busy people passing by. "Yeah, I did. And sometimes I think I still do."

"Sorry. I didn't mean to.."

Hui shook his head as he waved his hand. "No, no. It's okay." He took a look at his wristwatch and just noticed it was getting late. "Come on, it's pretty late."

Yesoo got home safe and sound. For one day she actually completely forgot about her beloved boyfriend. To her surprise, there were 3 missed calls from him. She didn't notice since she set her phone on silence and she barely took a look at it.

Now that it was late at night, the idea of calling Minhyun never slipped on her mind. Her fingers quickly typed text messages for him, just to let him know that she was sorry for being unable to pick up her phone. And also a sweet good night greeting.

In less than a minute, her phone rang once. That's odd, she thought. Minhyun scarcely replied her text in a flash. When she opened the text notification, she wasn't surprised that it wasn't Minhyun. A sigh slipped off .

From : Hui
I had a great time today. Let's meet up often.

Nevertheless, Yesoo smiled at her phone. In fact, she did have a great time, probably as much as Hui since they were inseparable during their school days.

To : Hui
Yep sure~