Chapter 2

Not Meant To Be: Eclipse

Ever since I've seen the night side from a closer view, I get dreams of the experience over and over. And each time I do, the boy is always there. I never got a good look at his face, for it was darker there, but his eyes.... I can not forget about that stare. It had been days since that happened.

 

I wake up and the dream dispersed into thin air. Since sleeping in the dark had been more comfortable for me, I turned my bed into a thick fort of blankets. I didn't want to sleep in the closet again.

 

My fingers curl and grip the pillow by the side of my head tightly as I stretch with a satisfied yawn. Seriously though, I cannot get over how nice it is to sleep like this. The darkness almost lulls myself to sleep again but the bells rang, the sound tugging my eyelids open.

 

I now know that the night people are beginning to go to bed.

 

I'm actually envious, because I want to sleep under the stars. Napping under the clouds had been fun, but I've done it so much that I want a change. I whine. 

 

If I could have anything, I want a star. The biggest and brightest star ever.

 

~~

 

"Here."

 

I slid the book across the table, returning it. It stops right in front of Namjoon, almost touching his tea cup. The book was unique, and had some more interesting facts; however, it didn't talk about any conflicts or explain why there's a border. I tell Namjoon this.

 

"Everybody knows not to pass the border, but not why we shouldn't."

 

Namjoon takes a sip of his tea, "We shouldn't pass because we would be punished."

 

"But what for?!" I exclaim, my hands moving around like there is going to be an answer that I can grab. "Why would we be punished?"

 

"We'd be punished for passing the border."

 

I groaned angrily. "Namjoon! You're not coming up with anything!"

 

I just want some answers, but not like this. Maybe this is why no one knows anything.

 

He simply looks up at me, as if he has nothing to say about this. "So?"

 

I slam my hands onto the table, forgetting that I'm in a library. It earned me a look from the librarian, who's far enough to not hear what I'm saying to Namjoon. More aware now, I lower my voice slightly, but it still wasn't so gentle.

 

"So stop going around in a circle. It'll get you nowhere," I said.

 

Namjoon leans back into his chair, folding his arms. "I see. You want me to think outside of it, not around or in it."

 

I pause momentarily. "Yes."

 

"To think outside the box?" He said, tilting his head slightly, like he's making a suggestion rather than asking. I pause again.

 

Yes. Yes, he's completely right.

 

"Thank you, Namjoon," I said before turning to leave. But I stop when I remembered something.

 

"Hey," I turn my head back to him, "Do you ever want to pass the border and see the night?" Namjoon merely smiles.

 

"No."

 

I sigh, slumping over in disappointment. But Namjoon finishes his thought.

 

"My reason is not that complicated. I don't want to pass the border, because I don't want there to be a border at all."

 

~~

 

At home, I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and packed it into my picnic basket. I take an apple and some cookies as well. I wanted milk too but it would grow too warm, so I placed in a bottle of juice. A knock sounded at my door, making me pause in my actions and head over to open it. 

 

Standing outside was Yoongi. He's in his usual attire, a t-shirt and black jeans. I can already tell that he's here for an apology.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"I'm sorry too," I said back to him quickly, because I felt like it wasn't necessary for me to shout at my friends when they were only looking out for me.

 

"Hoseok wanted to apologize as well. Also," his head tilts down and his bangs cover his eyes, "You're not stupid, Seokjin. I didn't mean what I said."

 

"It's fine, Yoongi. Don't make that sad face. You know I can't stand that," I smile to assure him that he didn't do anything wrong.

 

"But I-"

 

"Really, Yoongi. It's okay. I shouldn't have yelled in the first place anyway," I said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Things like this are bound to happen at some point, right? It happens. And again, I accept your apology and I'm sorry."

 

One corner of Yoongi's lip curved upwards, the other one doing the same shortly after. "Thanks, Seokjin. You know that Hoseok and I only wanted you to be safe."

 

"I know. I would hate for something bad to happen to you guys as well. You and Hoseok are my best friends."

 

I pull Yoongi in for a quick hug, laughing when he complains about how hugging is too sweet for his taste. But he wraps his arms around and pats my back awkwardly anyway.

 

"Don't be mad at me but," Yoongi says once we part, "Promise me that you won't cross the border. I know you said that you wouldn't, but promise me that you will never do it."

 

I hesitated. Never cross the border? But...

 

"Okay. I promise."

 

~~

 

I found my way and confidence to the border again. It's the same spot again, and I figured that I should go to another area to lessen the chances of being caught. You know, to try to not be consistent. But I know why I chose to be in this exact place again.

 

My eyes scan the top of the buildings, even though it's not time for the night people to wake up yet. I wondered why none of the buildings have windows and why the buildings are so tall. Wouldn't they fall over if they're too tall? But it's still a sight anyway. Where I live, the max level of stories of a building is three.

 

With so much time until the bells do their thing, I already brought things to keep me busy. I unfold my picnic blanket and spread it nicely on the grass, smoothing my hands over areas that have wrinkles. Then, I put my picnic basket in the center before dropping my stack of three books next to it, along with my notebook, sketchbook, fountain pen and a charcoal pencil. That should be enough to eat away the time.

 

And if anyone were to find me, perhaps I can get out of it by saying that I am only here for a picnic. But I rather not think of that outcome.

 

I didn't feel like eating during my wait, so the basket remains untouched. During those hours, I quickly sketched my surrounding and my view of the night buildings and read. Afterwards, when I got to the first page of the second book I picked, I suddenly didn't feel like reading anymore.

 

Turning over to my back, I wriggle around until my head is at the corner of the blanket that is closest to the border. There's not that many stars by the imaginary line separating day and night, but it's still better than nothing.

 

For a moment, time didn't exist, and it was just me laying on the ground and looking up at the skies again. I get lost, every time I do this. To forget about everything, everyone, but myself. Even my questions about the world is put into my pocket as I enjoy what nature is. The tips of tree branches framed my sight beautifully, the green leaves softly rustling.

 

A single leaf detached from the others above me and the wind blows it away. Even the breeze is gentle, making the leaf seem like it's floating than fluttering.

 

I watch as it swirls a couple times before crossing the line I'm expected not to pass. I have freedom, everyone here does. There is not a single person I know that is not happy. As Yoongi had said, we get all the freedom we want, but I guess that makes me a greedy person, because it is not enough.

 

I am free, but I can never be as free as this leaf, which no one has control over of. It passes the border that I can't, and nothing will happen to it.

 

My eyes follow the leaf, away and away, higher and higher until it passes a silhouette, breaking my train of thought. I sit up instantly, and didn't dare to blink or I might miss what I saw.

 

Someone is at the tops of the buildings again. It's the boy again. Actually, I couldn't see anything other than the outlining of his body, but I just know that it is him, crouching low and looking down right at me. I was looking at him so intently that when he leaped suddenly to the left, a gasp escaped from me.

 

There he goes.

 

Again, I was astonished, not realizing when and how long my jaw had dropped. The boy already jumped to the fourth building when he stops.

 

Although it is still dark and I couldn't see his face, he turned to face me and I knew. He wanted me to follow.

 

Quickly, I grab my things, didn't care to fold my blanket properly. Once he sees that I'm ready, he begins to jump again.

 

I had to sprint in order to keep up, almost falling from trying to look at him and what's in front of me at the same time.

 

He's so fast. First I had thought that he looked like a frog, jumping from lily pad to lily pad, but looking at it more, he looks more like a dancer. Each time his body is in midair, it looked so graceful.

 

I start to lose sight of him when I began to pant harder and see that we're going into a thicker part of the woods, blocking him.

 

The trees were bigger, and I couldn't see the boy until there was finally a small clearing. I stopped then because I didn't see him anymore. There were no more buildings, so where did he go?

 

The blanket slipped from my grip, and I chase after it. Unfortunately, it landed right in a stream about five feet wide. It would have washed away if a part of it hadn't caught on to a branch. I rolled my pants up to my knees and step into the cool water, crouching to pick it up, only to see that the border is right in the middle of the stream, dividing it in half. The blanket is on the other side.

 

I thought about finding a long stick to bring it back to me, but I was already too close to the border, which scared me a bit. So I stayed still, not wanting to accidentally reach into the night side. I pout. That was my favorite and only picnic blanket. I hear a small splash and almost took a step back.

 

The boy had also stepped into the water, sending ripples in all directions. He's very thin, and when I look at his eyes to confirm if it really is the same boy, I'm met with curious eyes. I've been told that I sometimes have curious eyes as well, but I can tell that his are different.

 

He walked towards the picnic blanket, squatting down when he gets to it. I expected him to pick it up, but he cautiously poked at it a few times. I wasn't sure if I should say something. Instead, I stay quiet as he pushes the blanket until it is partly back on the day side. It made a swishing sound when I was able to take it back, wringing the water out of it.

 

"Thank you," I said, wondering if he'd say something back. All I heard after speaking is the rush of water from the stream, so I looked down as if I'm occupied with getting water out of my blanket. It stayed quiet like that.

 

When I gained the confidence to look back up, I see that the boy is eyeing something behind me. I turn back and see that it was my picnic basket that he was looking at.

 

He gulped, still staring at it and I make an assumption. With how thin he is and his watering mouth, this boy must be hungry.

 

I walk to the grass, where my basket sits, and bring it back to the border. I opened it and take out the apple. The boy is even more hypnotized now that he sees the ripe fruit.

 

"Would... would you like to eat?" I asked hesitantly. Still, no answer but frantic nodding. I didn't want to set the apple in the water and pass it across like the blanket had done, so I put it back into the basket and hung it on the branch. After making sure that enough of the handle is on the other side, I let go. The boy takes it immediately and opens it.

 

I was surprised at how quick and desperately he ate the food I packed. He wasn't hungry; he was starving.

 

Looking at him now, his shirt looked too big for him until I realized that it was the other way around. It was him that is too small for the shirt. Does he not have food? But that doesn't make sense. There's plenty of food for everyone.

 

He starts to cough after drinking the juice too fast. I almost reached over to pat his back when his face turned very bright red but held back when I remember the invisible wall.

 

"Careful," I tell him. "Slow down."

 

He recovers and does what I say, taking more of his time biting into the white bread. His face is still red so I asked him if he's alright.

 

"S-Sorry," he said lowly. I almost didn't hear him. "My manners aren't the best."

 

I hummed, "Don't worry about it."

 

The boy continues to eat, still coughing here and there. I look around to see if any guards are nearby. I didn't see or hear anyone else.

 

A few minutes later, my basket was passed back to me. I didn't know what else to say. This is the first time I'm seeing a night person.

 

The boy's dark brown hair framed his face nicely and his skin isn't as pale as mine. I can see his lower lashes and his lips were thinner than mine. But, I can see some injuries on his face. There is at least two bruises, one under his right eye, and the other on his cheek, near his jaw. He was wearing shorts, showing his lower legs, which had more but older and smaller bruises and scratches. Despite this...

 

He's handsome.

 

He looked shy just a while ago, but now he's staring at my face boldly.

 

"I didn't know that day people are this pretty," the boy said, and I realized that he's probably examining me too. It was my turn to be shy as I blushed a bit at what he said.

 

The boy leans closer, the daylight almost touching the tip of his nose. There was a small change of lighting as he moved closer, towards me. We just stared at each other. For me, it's fascinating to see someone different.

 

Then there was a spark.

 

Maybe it's just me, but once I had locked eyes with him, I felt like it had unlocked something else within me, within us. Why do I sense a connection between us when I have never met him before this? Is it because we share the same curiosity? The boy must have felt it too because he looked like he was going to say something. I was going to say something, but a look of alertness suddenly comes across his face. He looks away, breaking the trance. The boy stood up quickly.

 

"I have to go."

 

I reach my hand out, wanting to tell him to wait, but he bolts off, speeding away like a fleeting bird. A part of me wanted to run behind him, just so I can see him take flight again, but I was glued to the ground, completely breathless.

 

~~

 

"Seokjin, wake up!"

 

Hoseok's voice causes me to sit upright again, tired eyes wide and awake. I blinked a couple times to try to keep the urge to sleep away.

 

"Geez, did you not sleep well or something?" Hoseok asks, shaking me by the shoulder a bit. "Are you sick? Hey, don't fall asleep here. Answer me." I could only mumble something incoherent back to him, making him sigh. 

 

When I came back home yesterday after seeing the boy, I only had a few hours before the bells ring and signal people to wake up. It took a long time for me to shut down due to all the thoughts swarming my head. In the end...

 

"I didn't get much sleep."

 

Hoseok looks at me oddly, "What do you mean? Everyone have to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time. I mean, it's not like we're forced to do that or anything like that, but it's just something we all do. Why weren't you sleeping? Sick?" He asks again.

 

I smiled at his concern. He's always checking on him and Yoongi's health.

 

"No, I'm not sick. But," I stop momentarily. Should I tell him? Lie to him? If I told him what really happened, I'll most likely be reprimanded. I've already been scolded by him and Yoongi just by thinking about night, so what would the consequences be when they find out that I'm one step away from crossing?

 

"But?" He raises his brows, waiting for an answer.

 

"But I did meet up with someone. Um, kinda..." I said. It was a pretty vague but true statement. I didn't really meet up with the boy, more like we met coincidentally.

 

"You what?!"

 

Hoseok's loud voice made me flinch, wondering if I accidentally said more unconsciously or he just knew what I did, going right to the border.

 

My friend practically hops onto me excitedly. "You mean you have a secret someone?" He said teasingly.

 

I stared at him because it was ridiculous. "No! How did you even come to that conclusion so quick? Let me explain-"

 

"No. I want to guess," Hoseok already began thinking as I sigh, losing the will to fight. "There's someone special that Yoongi and I don't know about, huh?"

 

My eyes start to wonder in nervousness. "Uh, no... it's not exactly like that." Sure, the night boy is someone special, but not in the affectionate way. But he is something indeed. Hoseok continues to push his nose in my business.

 

"Ooh, a possible love interest?"

 

I frowned at him.

 

"That's not it?"

 

"No." I said firmly. "Not even close."

 

Hoseok whines like a baby. "Then tell me tell me tell me!"

 

I could feel a headache making its way in, adding to my sleepiness. Luckily, it is prevented when I felt Yoongi's hand on my shoulder, "Hoseok, you'll tire him out even more."

 

"Thank you," I sigh as Hoseok pouts after the comment.

 

"Just letting you know, you can be friends with whoever you want, as long as they're not hurting you," he said, but his face didn't return to its normal state, happy with smiles.

 

"You and Yoongi are my best friends and no one can ever replace the both of you," I attempt to cheer him up. "I'll let you know who I'm seeing when there's a better time, alright?"

 

Hoseok looks at me then nods. "Okay. I trust you. And for now, I'll trust this person. Just make sure he lets you sleep though." I laugh and Yoongi sits next to us.

 

He already moved from the conversation, judging from the way he gazed into the distance. I ask him what was on his mind, and he points in the direction in front of him.

 

"I'm just looking at that poster that a knight hung up while you two were still talking. They must be searching for recruits," he then squints, trying to read the text from far away. "Aren't there enough of them already? We're living in peace as of now anyway."

 

I agreed that it was a bit strange, but it didn't bother me as much. It didn't bother Hoseok either, otherwise, he wouldn't be taking a nap on my shoulder right now. I giggle at his adorable face.

 

"Yoongi, look at him," I chuckle, and Yoongi leans forward to see. A small smile appeared on his face. I pinch his cheek. "What would you say he looks like?"

 

Yoongi tilts his head at my question as he thought. "I don't know. He's the brightest thing I've ever seen, but what is the brightest thing?"

 

I look at him strangely. "You don't know? The brightest thing here is the day sky! You must mean that Hoseok is as bright as the sky then."

 

"No, that's not it," Yoongi says. "I know that the sky is the brightest thing, but that's not exactly the word I'm looking for."

 

"Hmm... alright then," I said, not fully comprehending his claim. I remember the bright lights on the night side. Maybe Yoongi meant those, but since he never saw them, he doesn't know what they are.

 

Thinking of that made me want to give him one. That'll be a gift that none of them have. I store that thought in mind for later because it is unlikely for me to be able to get one.

 

Seeing Hoseok sleep reminds me of my own deprivation, so I leaned into Yoongi's shoulder. He didn't scold me or tell me to get off of him, so I close my eyes and my arm held Hoseok in place when his head almost slipped off my shoulder.

 

The light still irritated me, but I was tired and comfortable enough to ignore it.

 

~~

 

White surrounds me. I couldn't tell the difference between walls and floors and ceilings, if there even were some. It's a blank space, and I looked in my clenched hand.

 

A blue ribbon is tried around my wrist. My other hand touched the silky ribbon and I follow it down to see that it is extremely long. I looked ahead and it just seems to go on forever into the distance. Something told me to see where it leads to.

 

I reeled the ribbon in as I follow it. When I pull, it seems like whatever is tied to the other end of it is holding tight.

 

I was so focused that my eyes were on the ground only, staring at the blue ribbon. It is only when I see a change in the color of the floor that I look up again.

 

Before me is now only blackness. I turn behind me and saw that it's only whiteness. It's just like day and night, and I'm here at the border again.

 

But the ribbon continues into the dark, and there is a door that I can see. The ribbon continues beyond the door, slipped underneath it.

 

I expected myself to be scared, or at least a bit nervous, but my confident legs stride onwards. The white door stood out amongst the darkness surrounding it, and I felt my heart pound harder with each step in anticipation.

 

My hand, the one that isn't bounded, rest on the golden doorknob. I give another tug on the ribbon, and knew instantly that the end of it is on the other side of that door.

 

With the soft click of the door, I slowly open it. I yank the ribbon one more time...

 

When the door is fully open, it was too bright. I wince, not able to see a single thing. The light is hot, and I feel droplets of sweat forming on my temples.

 

The ribbon moved. A big hand took one of mine, and I could feel that the other end of the ribbon is tied around his wrist as well.

 

But it was getting too hot. It was getting difficult to breathe.

 

~~

 

I wake up with a sudden shake, breathing hard. It was only a dream. The heat was still there, but I now see that it's because I'm all tangled up in my thick blankets.

 

The cooler air hits my face when I resurface. I pull my hand up and stare at it. No ribbon, but there's a tingling sensation in my hand that had touch the anonymous hand in my dreams.

 

I found it even more strange when the first person who I thought of when I pictured the hand again... was the boy.