ONE: The Eve

The War
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Murmurs filled the hallway of Korea University on Monday morning. Yoon Haru was fearlessly walking to her locker to leave some of her things. She’s in a good mood today, because she’s been waiting for this day since forever.
    I’m on my first step to be a Journalist! she eagerly thought.
    As she walked down the hallway, she came across a group of girls murmuring excitedly in a corner. Usually, she won’t mind the noise of her surrounding, but when she heard a certain word, a certain surname, she felt her ears throbbed. She stopped walking and listened.
    “Have you heard? Byun Baekhyun enrolled in K.U!”
    Byun? Byun Baekhyun? Isn’t that the grandson of the dictator?
    “I saw him getting out of his Ferrari, and I swear, I saw my future husband.”
    Oh, please. That Ferrari was paid by the taxes of the citizens of South Korea.
    “He’s heading to Law building earlier. I think he’s taking up Political Science.”
    Duh, he’s from a family of trapo! (“Trapo” means TRAditional POliticians.)
    “Of course, he is! It’s in their blood. His grandfather was a President, now his father is a Senator, his mother is a Governor, and his older brother is a mayor. And him? He’s going to bring peace in South Korea someday.”
    Haru furrowed her eyebrows and continued walking to her locker. Feeling relieved that she chose to take up Journalism, like her grandfather, instead of Political Science, like what her parents were expecting her to take. She knows that taking up politics as a major in Korea University would limit her from her own freedom as an activist. Plus, she doesn’t want to be in the same room with anyone from the Byun family or any sons and daughters of other politicians in the country.
    But as she opened her locker and put her things inside, one question kept on bugging her mind:
    “Why Korea University?”
 


“Why Korea University?” Byun Baekbeom asked his brother for the nth time. “We could’ve sent you in the States to study Law, but you enrolled yourself in Journalism instead without telling us, Baekhyun. Are you doing this on purpose?”
    Byun Baekhyun sighed as he put his phone away from his ears momentarily. He just arrived in the university when he received a call from Baekbeom. The parking lot is just near the Law building, so he answered his brother’s call and proceeded to one of the restrooms of the building for privacy.
    He tiredly put his phone back on his ears as he leaned his back in a sink. “Yes, I’m doing this on purpose… for myself. Hyung, politics is your thing, not mine. Save me the headache,” Baekhyun said.
    “You do realize that Journalism is inclined with politics as well, don’t you?” Baekbeom said from the other line.
    Baekhyun straightened up and put his other free hand on his waist. “I know, but at least I’m not in the headlines, because I’m writing the headlines.” He checked his wristwatch before going back to Baekbeom. “My class is about to start. I’ll call you back later.” Then he hung up.
    He tiredly sighed again as he faces the mirror. So much for expecting a memorable first day in the university. His family never failed to ruin his day. Taking up Journalism instead of Political Science is a big step for him… and also an act of rebellion for his family. It’s not his intention to make it look like that. But his family being part of the political dynasty? It may really look like he’s rebelling against them. 
    Both of his parents were too busy to notice that he enrolled himself in Koren University, but unfortunately, his brother has a lot of time in his hands today.
    Growing up in a family of politicians, he’s used being in the headlines, being the center of attraction. He’s well aware of the history of his family, especially of his late grandfather being a President and a dictator. He has nothing against them, but seeing people still fighting for justice for what happened back in 1980s, he knows something isn’t right.
    Being surrounded with politicians all his life, he only sees things through a perspective of a politician. As he grew up, he realized many things by observing the people around him. The government wasn’t built for politicians, it was built for the people. That’s why at a young age, Baekhyun swore that he won’t follow the steps of his family. Whether it takes him to turn his back on them.
    He doesn’t want to be in the headlines. He knows that taking up Political Science will limit him from his own freedom. He doesn’t want to see the world from the top view, he wants to be in it. And taking up Journalism was his first step.
 


Taking up Journalism was Haru’s first step to get the rightful justice for her late grandfather, who was killed by the government in 1983. Aside from that, she wanted to continue what her grandfather had started.
    Journalism 1 is Haru’s first class on Mondays. It’s still early for her first class, but there she was, sat inside of her classroom already with some of her classmates. They have fifteen minutes before the class starts, and one by one, the students are starting to arrive.
    Haru likes sitting near the window. Aside from having a peaceful moment by just staring outside and watching the people pass by, she only has to deal with one seatmate. That’s bearable. She just hopes that whoever si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter