what we take to our graves

the merciless indestructibles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 Some people say that they want to change the world when they grow up, but little Jennie Kim dreamed of ruling it.

 

 

 

 

 

Jennie Kim painted another fresh layer of ebony mascara upon her long lashes, analyzing her appearance through the bathroom mirror. It was a ritual she preferred to do before first block started. 

 

She narrowed her eyes at the hint of crimson red lipstick residue on the edge of the glass mirror. Seoul Academy was getting a little low-funded in terms of school facilities. The school dance team’s practice room floors were getting permanent streak marks from the dirt and dust left on certain students’ shoes. Sanitation was getting ridiculously poor and she hated seeing the irritating scratch marks and messy pen scrawls in the desks. That would have to be arranged to change—by someone else. 

 

Her eyebrows knotted together in disapproval and she wordlessly peered at her own reflection. Her makeup looked immaculate and crisp as always after years of practice, highlighting her best features. Brown eyes of steel paired with porcelain skin and a seemingly delicate face that on lucky days would bare a brief hint of a smile. 

 

A sculpted face created for destruction and a smile made for winning wars.

 

Education was another barrier to cross and would have been an interesting or at least an ordinary experience if the people had not been so severely lacking. Unfortunately, Jennie found a good lot of the students here endlessly mundane. They were all mostly situated underneath the two most common categories: speak to please or stay silent to survive. 

 

To be short, it was a miracle itself that she hasn’t run off to London already even though she threatened it upon a daily basis. 

 

But she thrived in public settings, personally, her ability to adapt had always been remarkable especially in school-based scenarios. Which is probable why she wouldn’t want to leave the lovely environment of Seoul or precisely the reason why her parents forbid her to leave. It was a nuisance.

 

“Seulgi,” she curtly greeted after spotting the petite girl enter the school bathroom. 

 

The feline-eyed female’s chocolate brown hair tied back in a sleek ponytail and her uniform just the smudge bit wrinkled from her daily walk to school. The infamous eco-activist who would rather spend money on hauling millions of glass bottles than have her acquaintances and friends be seen holding a plastic water bottle. She was and still is outnumbered by wealthy students’ love for expensive four-wheeled sports vehicles. Everyone knew that they were number three on the list of items to brag about to your classmates, right underneath new estates and one-of-a-kind designer clothing. A materialistic lot really. She wouldn’t be surprised if the only thing underneath their skins were nothing else but sockets of fool's gold.

 

“Did you have a good summer?” Jennie casually questioned, being quite accustomed to small conversations despite not caring any less about what the other had to say. Manners, her mother had told her, it'll get you far in life when you're socializing and networking with other influential families. 

 

“I visited a couple of shrines in Kyoto,” the latter girl kindly replied, daintily washing her hands in the sink. Her head still stuck high up in the August-rush phase. “Gosh, it was so pretty. I bought some charms, checked out some places to eat—shabu shabu was amazing! I would have preferred a more scenic place to dine though. An overview of the bamboo forest would have been nicer.”

 

Jennie nodded her head, listening along to what the other girl was rambling on, keeping her gaze on Seulgi as her hands searched inside her bag for her cell-phone. There was supposedly a posting on the student website regarding new rumours roaming the school. It would be most beneficial to know what it was than attempt to carry on in ignorance.

 

Mindless, shallow gossip was never that big of a deal. It was probably another couple experiencing a nasty break-up because of another case of trust fund incompatibility or teenage angst.

 

“Oh and that reminds me, I actually saw Jisoo there too.” Seulgi tapped her chin in memory. Her eyebrows drawn together in a little bit of perplexity. "I thought she was grounded?"

 

Jisoo Kim, the notorious life of the party, but had never hosted one of her own parties. Strict parents had forbidden her from any sort of “funny business”. They ran the household with one simple but final rule, “if you commit a crime, keep it covered from us and the public”. She was often heard complaining about her family to her pack of hungry status-climbing followers.

 

It was not unusual for Jisoo to be travelling around the world, but it was very unlikely for her to be by herself. Independence was not her thing right next to studying or anything that did not involve social media or drinks. 

 

“She went on another trip?” Jennie grimaced ever so slightly, pursing her lips together in a thin line. That was trip number te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter