Behind the Scenes

Collaboration

Yibo’s POV

June 24, 2018

I’m so tired. After Produce 101’s party last night, I went to the airport at 6am for the Happy China Graduation Concert today. But as a celebrity, I have no choice and I need to work. Being busy is better than stay at home and doing nothing. After arriving at the venue, I immediately went to the rehearsals. I saw Cheng Xiao practicing with our back up dancers for tonight’s performance.

“Hi. Sorry I’m late.” I greeted them.

“Hi. No, it’s okay. We just started.” Cheng Xiao replied.

“That’s good to hear. Let’s get started.” I answered back.

We started the rehearsals to check the cameras angles and become familiar with the stage to see if there are mishaps.

“Cheng Xiao, Yibo, I think you two should look at each other a little longer in the end.” the camera director said to the both of us.

“Yes.” Cheng Xiao and I replied.

We rehearsed again for a couple of times and every time we come to the ending part, we both can’t stare each other’s eyes for a long time.

“Yibo! Cheng Xiao! Why can’t you look into each other’s eyes?”  Our choreographer asked us.

“I’m sorry. I’ll do my best in the performance.” Cheng Xiao replied.

“In the performance? You two should be comfortable with each other now. Come here.” Our choreographer told us.

“Yes.” We both replied and went to our choreographer.

Although Cheng Xiao and I danced with each other for a couple of times, we are not that close. During our stint in Day Day Up, she disclosed that we haven’t talked with each other that much.

I find it hard to open up to people that’s why I’m aloof with them. It takes a lot of time for me before I can be friends with someone. When Cheng Xiao told the hosts that we didn’t talk, I felt bad for her and I thought that I should try and talk to her next time. However, since my schedule is hectic, I wasn’t able to rehearse with her and talk to her before today.

“Okay. So for this performance, we need your chemistry and so far, I can’t see it during the rehearsals. I think you two should practice looking at each other until you get used to it.” The choreographer told us.

“You two should face each other and look at each other’s eyes. You need to do it for a long time.” He continued.

Cheng Xiao and I faced each other and looked at each other’s eyes. After 3 seconds, we both looked away. I could see that she covered her face with her hands while I tried my best to have a poker face.

“Hey. That was so short.” The choreographer complained.

“You two should do it longer. The first person to look away will have a punishment. He/she will buy us snacks. Is that a deal?” The choreographer told us.

“Okay.” Cheng Xiao replied.

“I also heard that in the eye to eye challenge, the first person to look away likes the other person.” The camera director added while watching us.

“Eh? I don’t think that’s true. What if your eyes hurts?” Cheng Xiao asked.

“I don’t know. But I’ll tease the one who would look away first.” The camera director said.

“Okay. That’s enough. Let’s start.” The choreographer said.

Cheng Xiao and I faced each other and did it again. I could see that she is trying her best to look at me in the eyes.

Me, being a competitive person, I don’t want to lose so I told myself that I should win this and continued looking at her for a couple of seconds.

While doing this challenge, I realized that this is the first time we’re looking at each other’s eyes and that her eyes are so pretty.

At that moment, I felt my heart flutter. What is this feeling?

We continued looking at each other for about a minute.

“Okay. It seems like you two don’t want to buy us snacks, you could stop now. I think you could bring this to the performance later.” The choreographer said.

Cheng Xiao and I broke our eye contact.

“Sir, I think you’re not gonna tease one of us.” I told the camera director.

“It seems like you both like each other.” The camera director replied with a smile.

“Huh?” Cheng Xiao replied looking confused while I was dumbfounded.

“Let’s continue the rehearsal!” We heard the choreographer shout.

We didn’t have the chance to talk again.