Chapter Two: The Champions

Idle Worship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The champions are going to be announced tonight.” Yuha said as her eyes darts to look at Minkyung, trying to test the water with the mentioned fellow. Or maybe Yuha is trying to test the tightrope that she feels she’ll have to get use to balancing on once the Champions are revealed, not that she isn’t already tip toeing in this precarious situation, even if she hasn’t done anything wrong.

 

But then again it isn’t like anything’s wrong. Maybe it’s just that this entire situation seems uncalled for. And it comes across as more of a shock, so naturally sharing the School’s excitement was not something Minkyung and her peers are ready to succumb to. Yuha can’t blame them really, but it doesn’t hurt to hope right?

 

“Gee Yuha, I can’t wait,” Minkyung doesn’t look up from the books, and makes herself busy by shuffling her notes around.  N.E.W.T. is killing her already, she sure ain’t going to invest her time into a god damn tournament.

 

“The older ones in our house share the same sentiment as you,” Yuha says. “The younger ones don’t really understand, though I did try to explain it to them.”

 

Minkyung wants to roll her eyes at Yuha, why did she even bother. Of course they are, foreign students of a different calibre are now standing on their soil of which they call home. For a competition the youngsters aren’t eligible to compete it. So nothing will deter their excitement now, and not in the near future. But she tries to be nice and says “They will in due time.” Something Minkyung doesn’t really believe in, but if it eases the furrows between her best friend’s brows, she’ll lie between her clenched teeth.

 

And it does, as Yuha lets a slight smile through, though the corner of her lips doesn’t reach her eyes. “I’m just worried you know, for our champion,” Yuha voices out as she pushes herself up onto the table. “The Ministry pushed this for redemption, whoever’s the Champion, he or she will be their pawn. Imagine the immense pressure that will be dumped on his or her shoulder, to win.”

 

Minkyung sighs and slumps back into the chair. Coward, the Ministry, for turning to child play for their games, or political endeavours. It seems like pride is what will save their race. Or maybe they were simply bored and want nothing more than to place themselves on high horses as compared to their fellow foreign counterparts. But that isn’t what Minkyung detests the most. She abhors how their last house Champion’s sacrifice will just be another episode recorded in history. As if the death of the child, who is so dearly loved by his father that time isn’t enough to heal the void in his heart, is just another one. She abhors how a mere two decade is sufficient to erase the trepidation that used to constrict their hearts. Yet for the past two decade, she knows of people who mourned for him continuously, so why is it so fleeting to the ones in power? Why are they in power? Why do they have to tempt the human innate glorious desires? And to be able to shed all responsibility, even of their safety?

 

Minkyung sighs for the umpteenth time.

 

“It will be their responsibility to carry that pressure.”

 

“And it’s time to see who the lucky one is”

--

“Kim Mingyu from Durmstrang Institude!”

 

“Ryu Sujeong from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter