18. Communication is Key

Perks of an Unrequited Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ah, Chaeyoung!” Mina called out to the younger girl. It was cloudy day, void of much light from the sun but not completely dark – the courtyard didn’t look like a lot of people wanted to stay there. Chaeyoung’s head whipped up, immediately smiling as she finds the older girl waving towards her. She waved back enthusiastically, pencil in hand. It was her usual spot under the tree, and of course, her worn out sketchpad was laid on top of her lap.

“Hey,” Chaeyoung mutters, scooting over to the side to make way for Mina. “You said you wanted to talk?”

Mina nodded, taking her backpack off and placing it in front of her. “I’ve got something for you too, but I’ll give it to you later.” Chaeyoung eyed the bag in front of Mina, curiosity taking over. Albeit that, however, she knew she had to be patient. They had to talk, right?

Chaeyoung looked at Mina. The girl wore her hair up today, with her thick-framed glasses almost falling off the bridge of her nose and her hair messy in all the right ways – Chaeyoung couldn’t help but think that she looks absolutely stunning in such a simple way. Mina wore a black hoodie with Minnie Mouse printed up front; Chaeyoung loves the Disney franchise.

“So, uh, I kinda want to apologize?” Mina starts out awkwardly, her eyes were averting Chaeyoung’s gaze. “But at the same time I don’t know why I’m apologizing.”

“Actually, I think I should say sorry instead of you.” Chaeyoung mutters, brushing a few strands of her hair behind her ear. Mina looked at her expectantly, eyes glistening with hope. “I think it might’ve been unfair for you, so I’m sorry.”

Mina nodded, taking in the apology. “Mind to explain what happened?”

“Yeah… I actually know…” Chaeyoung mutters, her heart feeling like it would burst in her chest out of nervousness. She thought it was weird to tell someone that you knew they loved you – it was like you were confessing to yourself for them. “I know that you – uh… love me.”

Mina gulped. She knew that Chaeyoung knew but hearing the younger girl say it to her face to face really did make her feel exposed. Mina nodded slowly, urging Chaeyoung to continue.

“W-We were sleeping and – well, you muttered ‘I love you’ in your sleep… I would’ve thought nothing about it but… you – you said my name.” Chaeyoung was starting to feel the tingles climb from the tip of her toes to the bottom of her stomach, feeling a million butterflies erupt.

“Ah, I’m sorry.” Mina says. She took the backpack from in front of her and clutched it, hugged it just like it was one of her stuffed toys. “I didn’t really want you to find out… Does it make you feel weird?”

Chaeyoung shook her head. “Not – Not really.” She hated the fact that she couldn’t stop stammering. Is she switching personalities with Mina? Chaeyoung shook the thought away because surely she wasn’t shy in front of the girl, right? “I guess it’s ‘cause this is the first time a girl fell in love with me…”

“What?” Mina whipped her head to look at Chaeyoung. “Believe me, Chaeyoung; a lot of girls are in love with you.” Mina shook her head and sighed, a hand placed dramatically on her forehead for dramatic effect. “Like, seriously. It makes me feel inferior, you know?”

“Inferior?” Chaeyoung had furrowed her eyebrows by now. “And what do you mean a lot of girls are in love with me? You’re the only one I know…”

“That’s because no one wants to confess and have their hearts broken, you know? I didn’t want you to know because you’re unobtainable.” Mina sighed, exasperation evident in her voice.

“Why would you say that?” Chaeyoung wanted to get everything out of Mina now that they’ve reached the point of no return.

“You’re so far away, Chaeyoung. It’s like when I look at you from afar, you’re either with all these people I don’t know or you’re drawing here – “ Mina gestures to where they were sat, “and you just look so breath-taking and so out of my league and… gosh.”

Mina looks at Chaeyoung. Her eyes were speaking louder than everything she’s ever said.

“I’ve written songs about you.” Mina mutters, her voice coming off as silent. “Scratch that, I’ve written songs because of you. The moment I met you, I was terrified. I didn’t want to fall in love with someone who wouldn’t know I existed. I didn’t want t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter