You're a Mess

please be gentle (with me)

Seokjin wants to punch a guy.

The guy with a stupid ash gray hair, with a stupid smile, with a stupid left dimple, with stupid eyes, with a stupid button nose, with his stupid rapidfire talking, with his stupid fidgeting and his stupid shifting at the fourth table is getting into his nerves.

"Jin-hyung, I swear you are going to bore holes into the guy's head. You've been staring at him for too long! You're being too obvious that we're eavesdropping into their business!" Hoseok whispers not too loudly at Seokjin as he keeps his head low, focusing on wiping some cups and saucers that are used on the 2 PM date.

The red-hair, tanned-skin barista tries to maintain his cool and not panic at the fact that they are getting close to being caught by the guy at the 5 PM date. Well, at least, that's what he thinks.

The 5 PM guy seems to take glances from his date to the counter from time to time during the whole date, probably noticing how the baristas exchange whispers about the said guy and his date.

"Will you be quiet?!" Seokjin whispers back to Hoseok while not removing his attention towards the couple seated at the backmost of the café. Which is also quite near the counter. "I'm trying to keep an eye on this couple because, , the guy is talking way too much and he's not letting the girl speak; the guy has his attention elsewhere as he speaks and now the girl is uncomfortable!"

Seriously, why set up a blind date when you're not going to pay attention to your partner and keeping the attention to yourself and to other things? Listen, Seokjin just feels bad for the lady. She was set up with a very talkative and inattentive man. That's why Seokjin has to keep an eye on them.

"Seriously, Jin-hyung, you're overreacting. Just let the couple be. Besides, dates don't always need to end well, right?" Jeongguk, the youngest barista with jet black hair and pretty doe eyes, whispers behind them while he is seated on a stool, nibbling on the leftover cookies from the previous date.

Seokjin turns to the youngest barista and throws him an annoyed look. "Yah! I didn't invest my whole life for this business just to have unsuccessful blind dates! And fun fact, we never earned a successful blind date since day one. How long has this business been running? Ninety-seven days! Ninety-seven days and still no successful blind date! Just admit you don't want this date to have a happy ending because you have hots for the girl and you want to have her yourself."

What Seokjin has said catches Jeongguk off guard but Jeongguk continues to nibble the leftover cookie anyway.

Seokjin had his visuals sculpted by God Himself. His World Wide Handsome™ visuals had captured the attention of many companies scouting for actors for TV shows and models for brands. But Seokjin is always passionate in cooking and making drinks. In fact, he is now a renowned chef in soul. But for a cook with godly visuals like him, he has been pretty much single since birth.

Don't get him wrong, he has a lot of male and female admirers and suitors but he prefers to let love find him instead of him finding love. Also, he is more of a match-maker like a Cupid rather than being a bachelor for Cupid's arrow.

So instead of Seokjin having his own restaurant with a potential to be rated with five stars by professional food critiques, he had the idea of establishing a café where anyone can set up blind dates for their friends, family and even for themselves, in the hopes finding love.

"Jin-hyung, chill, don't put Kookie into this. But he's right you know? Blind dates are normally less successful than regular dates. I mean, you just don't know who you're getting paired with!" Hoseok explains with a little nervousness. Admit it. The thought of being paired with someone you do not know is scary.

Seokjin just sighs in defeat as Taehyung, another barista with godly visuals, returns from eavesdropping on the 5 PM couple at an unoccupied table near the said couple's table to the counter where the three remaining baristas are.

It's not that Seokjin does not have the visuals, hell, Seokjin has godly visuals, it is just that Taehyung's visuals are quite exquisite.

Seokjin turns to Taehyung, "Well?"

"Based on what I heard, the guy, Kim Namjoon, keeps throwing long philosophical lessons about love on the girl, Song Jieun. He's speaking of political views too. There are times that Jieun would want to speak but she couldn't find the right timing when to cut in due to guy's talkative behavior." Taehyung explains the situation of the 5 PM couple to the other three baristas.

"That's because the guy needs to learn self-control! The reason why the girl couldn't speak is because the guy isn't paying attention to her! He has his attention elsewhere and he needs to learn to focus on her and her only!" Seokjin snaps out. The Namjoon guy really needs to pay attention to Jieun.

"Another thing, just an observation, every time the guy shifts his attention from the girl to something or someone, he always glances at Jin-hyung." Taehyung explains so smugly to the baristas, specifically Seokjin.

The baristas, except for Jin, hollers quietly and shoots Jin with a -eating grin.

"Yah!" Seokjin snaps for the last time as the bell above the entrance door tinkles. The baristas turn to the direction of the tinkling bell.

"Hello." By the entrance door stands a young man with cotton candy pink hair in oversized baby blue sweater that covers his hands like sweater paws, faded light blue overalls and white sneakers, and a baby pink rucksack hangs by his shoulder. He has a small nose, innocent eyes, the fluffiest-looking cheeks and the plumpest lips.

Oh god. Seokjin says in his mind. He almost looks too young and too innocent to be set up on a blind date.

"Hello!" The four baristas welcome the newcomer.

"Hello! I'm sorry but am I too early?" The young man with pink hair asks the baristas as he approaches the counter. The said young man is set up for the 7 PM date when the time reads 6:48 PM.

"Oh no, not at all! Besides, better early than late, right?" Hoseok tells the pink-haired man with a warm smile.

"Go on and have a seat, wherever you like!" Taehyung says with glee.

"Uhm, okay, thank you." The young man thanks the baristas and bows to them politely.

He chooses the table by the window at the corner which is also the table nearest to the entrance. It is the smallest table in the café. A pink couch with a set of small pillows is placed adjacently to the window and opposite the pink couch is a brown woven chair. Next to the woven chair is a tall old-fashioned lamp and a huge green plant. The young man sat on the couch and places his rucksack beside him.

The pink-haired man studies the interiors of the small café. The walls are painted white and a part of the café is made of stone bricks which is painted unevenly with teal. The windows of the café are frosted with patterns in which the borders are made of dark colored wood. Every window of the café are draped in floral-patterned curtains. The entire floor made of wood. The counters and where the baristas prepare the drinks is designated on the very middle of the café. The counters are made of dark wood and the utensils, teacups, teapots, saucers, blender, coffee maker and fruits are placed on top of them. He notices that there are three more tables inside the cafe. Opposite his table is an oval black table with two identical chairs opposite each other. Adjacent to the table is a small window and on the other side is the aisle separating the table from the counter. Right after the oval table is a medium-sized round table and two chairs placed at another corner of the café. That spot has the most plants and has the biggest windows inside the café. And finally the last table, which is placed at the backmost part of the café, is a big rectangular wooden table with four different kinds of seats. As he notices, there are plants in every corner he looks at and the café is adorned with antiques. There's a brown piano leaning against the wall too.

Overall, the café looks old-fashioned, yet it gives a warm and homey feeling.

The rectangular table however, as the young man notices, is still occupied. Ah, they are probably not done with their date yet, he thought to himself. Or I might have arrived a little too early? From where he is seated, he decides to fumble through his phone as he waits for his date patiently.

"Oh my god he looks so young and so innocent," Seokjin tells to himself at the same time as the pink-haired boy takes his place on the couch. "Jeongguk, go serve him a glass of warm water."

Jeongguk follows Seokjin's order obediently. He goes straight towards the pink-haired boy and serves him his glass of warm water.

The server retreats back to his place when Hoseok notices something, "Oh. OH. I think the 5 PM couple is leaving."

The 5 PM couple starts to gather their things and gets up from the table. That is when, in the most unfornate event, the guy, Namjoon as named by Taehyung, knocks off a teacup from the table and broke it into pieces.

", oh , oh , oh -" Namjoon curses loudly as he panics over the mess he made. ", , , , , I messed up-!"

"HOLY WHAT." Everyone stands up as Seokjin's voice booms inside the café and storms across the counter towards the 5 PM couple. Well, towards the guy who broke the teacup mostly. He did not just witness the death of his favorite antique teacup.

"I'm sorry! I swear, I'm going to pay for it! Let me help-" Namjoon starts bending down to pick up the shards of the teacup to help clean and to nullify his violations but is halted immediately by non other than Seokjin himself.

"DON'T. JUST DON'T." Seokjin lets out an exasperated sigh. He inhales and exhales slowly to regain his composure. Then calmly, he orders Jeongguk with a forced smile, "Jeonggukie, will you clean his mess, please? Thank you."

Being stupefied at the incident (and at Seokjin's reaction), he just simply follows without hesitation.

Seokjin retreats back to the counter, trying to maintain his professionalism despite the tragic death of his favorite teacup. At the same time, Namjoon follows him towards the counter, leaving the Jieun, his date, on the spot where the incident happened.

"Listen, I'm really really sorry," Namjoon apoligizes to Seokjin who is behind the counter once more. He is trying to look pitiful; Seokjin just scoffs at that. "Look," Namjoon grabs Seokjin's hand, surprising him. "I am willing to pay for everything. Name your price."

Seokjin is caught off guard with Namjoon's action but he retrieves immediately his hand back from Namjoon's grasp. "Y-you... Just pay for whatever expenses you had with your... With your date." Seokjin says while looking lost and confused with a little mix of frustration.

"A-are you sure? Because I can... I mean... Ugh. The teacup looked old and antique, hence it's value could be expensive and it looked irreplaceable." Namjoon tries to make an argument. He is a son of a rich CEO and he can pay whatever the price is anyway.

"That's the point! It's irreplaceable!" Seokjin lets out a loud cry that makes Namjoon stare at him in shock. Seokjin just sighs in the end. "Look, as long as you pay for all your expenses, it'll be fine. Besides, no one got hurt, right? The customer's safety is the first in our priorities."

Namjoon gapes at Seokjin, not knowing what to say.

Silence envelops the café with awkwardness for a while until someone breaks the ice.

"Uhm, I would like to pay for the expenses." Jieun volunteers with a painfully awkward smile. But Namjoon just stares at her.

"So you're letting the lady pay?" Seokjin asks in disbelief.

"Uhm, wait, no! I'll pay! Who am I to let a beautiful lady pay?" Namjoon lets out a fake chuckle nervously.

"No, I'll pay. I'm older." Jieun reasons while keeping a smile.

Namjoon gapes at Jieun. Seokjin sighs exasperatedly and rolls his eyes. At Namjoon.

"Okay! That will be 7,500 KRW for everything." Hoseok declares cheerfully in attempt to enlighten the mood.

Jieun shifts to get her credit card from her black handbag to pay Hoseok who is in charge of the register.

While Hoseok processes the billings on the register, Taehyung gives Namjoon and Jieun each a freebie candy.

"And also, if the both of you return to the café as a couple in the future, you will get 50% discount for everything you order." Taehyung clarifies to the couple.

"In which I highly doubt they would return..." Seokjin mutters but still enough for everyone in the café to hear and understand.

Boy, Namjoon looks like a kicked puppy staring at Seokjin while Seokjin himself keeps a disappointed look at Namjoon.

"Okay, here you go, " Hoseok reutrns the credit card to Jieun. "Thank you for coming and we hope to see you again as a couple."

Once Jieun has her credit card secured in her bag, she strides towards the exit of the café without waiting for Namjoon. Her exit leaves a shock on everyone except for Seokjin and Namjoon.

Namjoon, on the other hand, is still rooted on his spot, motionless, not knowing what to say.

"Well? What are you still here for?" Seokjin asks Namjoon so sternly that it hurts Namjoon so bad.

"I... I-I'm sorry..." Namjoon finally turns to leave while feeling heavily dejected.

Silence once again glooms the entire café while everyone eyes at Seokjin, raising the tension. And by everyone, it means the pink-hair guy waiting innocently at one table is included.

"What. The. !" Hoseok exclaims.

"What?" Seokjin faces Hoseok.

"You just scared the poor guy out!"

"It's his fault! If he was a gentleman then none of this would happen!"

"And he was offering to help!"

"BUT STILL!"

"YAH!" Taehyung scolds at the two older baristas. His arms crossed, back leaning against the counter. He is next to Jeongguk, eyes still wide in shock with the things going on, sitting on the same stool. "You guys, you're forgetting that we still have another customer! And he's right there." he points at the direction where the pink-hair boy is situated.

The baristas turn to look at the said person (or more like to look at the said direction to see if there is really a person seated there.)

The pink-hair boy just stares at them in confusion like all the baristas have grown a second head.

"Oh. Oh my god!" Seokjin comes back to his senses. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry!"

"Hi." The pink hair boy waves at them awkwardly.

"Y-you... Uhm... Uhmmm..." Seokjin tries to find words to say as he approaches the boy's table.

"Jimin. Park Jimin." The pink hair boy names himself.

"Jimin. Uhm, okay. Jimin-ssi, are you okay? Do you need anything? Don't be afraid to ask for anything. We don't bite." Seokjin blurts coolly as if nothing had happened earlier.

"I'm okay, it's just that... That was... Surprising?" Jimin ends up the statement like a question, unsure of what to say.

"Well, Jimin-ssi, do you need anything? Water? Heater? Neck pillow? Lap blanket?" Hoseok asks from the register.

"Please, Jimin is fine. Oh, and is it okay to ask for a heater? I'm wearing a sweater but it's getting rather colder at night." Jimin asks baristas politely just as any kid would ask politely for their mother to unwrap candies from their candy wrapper.

Oh god he is so innocent. I can't believe I just let him witness the whole mess! Seokjin thinks worriedly as he approaches back his work area. "Okay, okay. Kookie, please fetch the heater for our dear Jimin."

Jeongguk is about to get up from the stool when someone stops him.

"Wait! I want to fetch the heater for Jimin." Taehyung interferes with a boxy smile on his face.

Seokjin rolls his eyes at Taehyung but lets him anyway. "Fine. Taehyung-ah, please fetch the heater for Jimin."

Taehyung leaps from his spot gladly when fetches the heater. He walks towards Jimin's table when he finds the heater, then he sets it up dutifully.

"Here you go, Jimin. If you need to adjust the temperature, feel free to do so." Taehyung tells Jimin eagerly.

"Thank you, uhh, Taehyung-ssi." Jimin smiles at Taehyung. His eyes form into crescents and cheeks fluff themselves about 60% more when he smiles.

"Ohmygod, you are so cute!" Taehyung coos at Jimin, making him blush. "And please, just call me Taehyung."

"P-please, Taehyung!" Jimin hides himself in embarrassment.

"Also, in behalf of Kim Seokjin, the owner of Café Amor, I would like to extend our deepest and sincerest apologies for what happened earlier. I swear, Seokjin-hyung is a nice person and he doesn't bite. It's just that he's too blind to see the heart eyes the guy was giving him and misinterpreted them into something else." Taehyung apologizes innocently then turns with a smug face with the mention of the guy from earlier and Seokjin.

"Yah!" Seokjin hears. Jimin giggles while Hoseok and Jeongguk snickers at that.

"It's fine really. It was unexpected but it was rather interesting at the same time. Oh, and when the guy grabbed Seokjin-ssi's hand, I swear it meant something!" Jimin explains as he smiles from ear to ear about the thought.

Hoseok, Taehyung and Jeongguk shift their gaze to Seokjin with a knowing-look. So God help Seokjin die from where he stands. 

"Y-yeah, wh-whatever..." Seokjin mumbles. And in Jesus' name, a tinge of pink colours Seokjin's cheeks.

"Is there anything you need, Jiminie?" Taehyung asks.

"Oh no, I'm fine with the heater." Jimin tells him with a smile.

"Well, if you need anything else don't hesitate to approach us, okay? That is also to keep you busy while you wait for your date." Taehyung reminds Jimin.

"Speaking of date, holy hell, it's already 7:12 PM. Your date should have started twelve minutes ago! Where's your date, anyway?" Hoseok asks no one in particular. That's when it occurs to everyone that Jimin's date is getting rather late.

"Oh . You're right." Jeongguk cusses in wide eyes, still has his glued on his stool.

"Uhm, maybe he is not coming? Maybe he is not interested anymore and decides to cancel." Jimin says with a little sadness in his voice.

Sure, Jimin was only forced and set up by his younger for this blind date, but Jimin couldn't stop the feeling of being hopeful. Maybe this date could work.

"Nonsense! No one can cancel out! No cancellations and refunds for the reservation fee is part of the contract. Plus, it's indicated in the contract that at least to contact the establishment in case of emergency happens and you can't go." Seokjin blurts out. Jimin just nods dumbfoundedly.

"Don't worry about it Jimin. Maybe he's just stuck in traffic or couldn't catch a transportation in time. He'll come. Don't worry." Hoseok guarantees that to Jimin without a panic. Jimin's smile returns.

"Y-yeah. You're right." Jimin nods and smiles widely that his eyes form crescents again.

"Oh god, you're so innocent." Seokjin tell Jimin, making him blush again. "Well, let's get busy everyone. Arrange the chairs, wash the cups, mugs, teapots and saucers for the next date. Chop chop, everybody!"

The baristas then scramble to clean up and arrange everything. A tidy place will set a good impression on the date, won't it?

"Oh, Jimin," Hoseok stops on his task for a while and turns to Jimin. "Is there we can do to entertain you? You'll just get bored from waiting there."

"Oh, I'm fine playing with my phone. It's still at 68% so I'm good with it." Jimin reassures the red-haired barista.

The said barista pays him a smile before returning to his task. Same for Jimin, he returns his attention to his phone. He opens whatever mobile app he has on his phone to keep him busy.

While he busies himself with his phone, he couldn't help but wonder who may this mystery person be coming to Jimin on this blind date? Maybe a man who owns 50 dogs and 72 cats? A rich CEO sugar daddy? A tiger mommy? A lolita type of person? A stereotypical female who likes to show most of her skin? A 60-year-old grandpa or grandma looking for a good time? Oh god no. An A+ student who does well in studies and extra-cocurricular activities? Yes please.

Whoever this person will be, Jimin hopes that this will open the door for his first ever relationship. He may be single since birth and focusing on his studies, but he needs to experience love too, you know? He is just a person with who needs to feel and be loved.

Whoever this person will be, he just hopes he is nice to him. Maybe someone who can make him smile; someone who will talk to him and will understand him; someone who will bring sunshine on his rainy days; someone he can be with to foster as many puppies and kittens as he wants.

Whoever this person will be, he hopes maybe a more careful person than that Namjoon guy.

Whoever this person will be, he just hopes for a good one.

But who knows? This is a blind date after all.