Chapter 1

Undisputed

Ok Taecyeon

We danced around the octagon shaped arena, circling each other like two wild animals. My eyes remained locked with his as I sized him up. He was a decent enough rival, even getting in a few blows, but I was more than prepared for this fight. Quite frankly, I felt certain he was outmatched. We inched closer and closer, and the roar of the enthusiastic crowd hit a new peak that was almost deafening. You could practically taste the energy the audience was giving off, I, for damn sure, could feel it pulsating though my body, charging me up for this bout.

The mat was already stained with the blood of the fighters who had taken to the ring before us, and both my opponent and I added a few more drops to it. My nose was bleeding, but not broken. His was broken and the cut over his eye was going to need at least several stitches. Both of our fists were up as we kept our legs ready for action. The referee moved around us but stayed out of harm's way, which was wise on his part. My opponent's punches lacked the precision I strived for. One more reason why he wasn't ready to take me on.

I smirked as the bead of sweat dripped down his temple. He knew he was in over his head. Right about now, I bet Rocco was regretting stepping in the ring with me. If he didn't already, I was going to make sure he regretted it by the end of the match. There was no way in hell I was about to give up my championship belt, especially since I'd just won the damn thing. He came at me, lunging with a sloppy punch, but I dodged it and put some more space between us. He was getting tired and would be making more mistakes like that one. My chest heaved with anticipation as I looked at Rocco, who was panting from exhaustion.

He charged me, which was exactly what I wanted him to do. My defensive and offensive game was tight and I knew how to capitalize on the slipups of my opponents. I used his momentum, locking him in a hold, then flipped him over until I was on top. He held up his arms, blocking his face from my blows, but I wasn't letting up. I hit his side, and when he went to protect his flank, I gave him a right hook to his temple, then followed that up with a body blow to his ribs.

"Arg!" he grunted as one of his ribs broke from the impact of my fist striking its target.

Again, I aimed for his sore ribs, hitting them with another blow. He lowered his guard on his face in order to protect his ribs and that was when I switched it up, giving a short jab to his nose. He grabbed my left arm, twisting it in an attempt to put me in a hold and gain the advantage, but I turned in the same direction, keeping my place on top of him. I raised up, kneeing him in his injured ribs twice, really giving them a bruising.

He was weakening, tired and sore from the blows I had dealt out like candy on Halloween. I had plenty to share with Rocco and, by the pained look in his eyes, I knew he wasn't about to last much longer. I used my free hand to jab at his ribs again and when he left himself open to protect them, I gave him another sharp jab to his face and that blow knocked him the hell out. I followed it up with two more blows before the referee pulled me off his .

I stood up, growling like a beast in my adrenaline-fueled state. I was so hyped! The referee checked my opponent over, then declared him KO'd. I raised my hands in victory as I jumped around the ring, soaking in the praises from a well-entertained crowd. Everyone loved a winner and I loved winning. I spit out my mouthpiece so I could roar to the crowd as I continued to my arms in the air victoriously. Championship defended by sheer badassness. Mission accomplished.

My head coach entered the arena along with my sparring team, and they rushed me, wrapping their arms around me as I continued to celebrate. I hugged them as we cheered and gave my coach a kiss on his temple, because lord knew he was part of the reason why I was standing there victorious. The other part was my sheer will to want to be on top. The flashing lights of the cameras were almost blinding, but I knew better how not to focus on the lights, only the crowd as they stood up in their seats, cheering and applauding. Of course, there were some s booing, too. Dumb s shouldn't have betted against me.

I made sure to absorb all the praise like a sponge before I finally took my to the locker room where some of the other guys shook my hand and gave me forced congratulations. Every last one of them in my division wanted to be where I was...on top with the belt around my waist. ing shark tank full of opportunistic jocks.

"Congrats, man, great ing match." Tony Maddock said as he patted me on my back.

"Thanks, man." I replied with a smirk. Tony lost his chance to get the belt from then Champion, Lim "The Bulldog" Seulong, three months ago. No doubt, his eyes were still focused on obtaining the gold, so his praise was bull in my eyes. He probably watched it thinking he could take me the entire time. The sport of Mixed Martial Arts was a dog-eat-dog competition and everyone was fighting for the bone. 

"Man, that was awesome! You annihilated his ." Hwang Chansung said, slapping me on the back.

"I did, didn’t I?" I smiled as I thought about the blow I had landed that knocked my opponent out. It was extra sweet because Rocco talked a lot of in the weeks leading up to our match, saying I was too young and inexperienced to take him on. Well, that motherer ain't got to say now.

I took off my gloves and shorts, locking them up with my belt, then made my way into the showers. The water felt so good on my skin, washing away all the sweat and blood from my body, making me feel refreshed. I finished bathing and walked out with a towel around my waist. I knew the press was waiting like a pack of carnivorous dogs to talk to me. I ing hated the press, damn vultures. I slipped on a pair of black jeans, my boots, and my white v-neck t-shirt.

No sooner had I laced up my boots when the dressing room doors opened and my head coach and manager, Park Jinyoung, walked over, slapping me on the back "Damn good match, Taec."

I smiled "Thanks." I hugged him again and saw my publicist walking into the room.

"Are you ready for the post-fight conference?" Junho asked me.

I really hated those ing things, but it was part of my job, so I nodded "Yeah, let's get this over with." 

"Good. Remember, if you feel yourself getting agitated, just give shorter answers. Be honest, that's the best you can do." Junho said, giving me pointers.

"Sure." I said.

We walked to the area where the conference was being held. As soon as I walked into the room, cameras flashed their lights, causing me to blink a little as the photogs captured their images of me looking y and grand with my championship belt tossed over my shoulder. I sat down and removed my belt, placing it on the table beside me. I rested my hands on the table, lacing my fingers together. The pose I gave meant I was ready for their insipid questions.

"Taecyeon, how does it feel to win tonight's match?" one of the reporters asked.

A stupid ing question. How do you think I feel, ? That was what I wanted to say. However, my publicist, Junho, would have had a ing fit. He'd been trying to clean up my image a bit so I could get more endorsements. So, I went the diplomatic route...well, as diplomatic as I could be.

"It feels great." I replied, keeping my answers short and sweet, since I was already agitated. I'd rather be heading back to my hotel right then instead of sitting there fulfilling this obligation. 

"Mr. Ok, was there any point in your match tonight where you thought you might not win?" another asked.

I snorted "No."

I'd been told that my short answers infuriated the media, but I could care less. them. Of course, Junho cringed whenever someone shoved a microphone in my face because he never knew what I was going to say at the spur of the moment. I once told a reporter who'd had the nerve to ask about my life to go herself. Junho and Jinyoung both told me that was unwise. I hated having to watch what I said, but business was business.

"Mr. Ok, what do you say to people who think you're too young to hold the title?" one of them asked.

I smirked "Remind me again, who's the champion?" I shot back. To that remark, there were some chuckles and murmuring. People, especially the other fighters, tended to give me because I was twenty-four and cocky. As far as I was concerned, I'd earned the right to be.

"Mr. Ok, is there anyone in the circuit you think can be your equal?" came another silly question from a reporter with a nose too big for his face.

"No." I said, without needing to think about it. Some might say I was a smug son of a and I needed to be brought down a peg or two, but I say, them. I worked my off to get where I was and I'd already beat my way through the competition. So, no, I had no equal. I knew it, and all the fighters in the dressing room knew it, too.

"Mr. Ok, will you attempt to lower your weight so you can compete in a lower class?"

I shook my head "I hate cutting weight. Where I am now is where I want to be. I don't have any intentions of seeking a championship belt in a lower weight class. That's a stupid ing question."

"Okay, what about a higher class? Super heavyweight?" was the second part to his question.

I shrugged one shoulder "Like I said, right now, I'm happy where I'm at." I wasn't opposed to competing in the heavyweight division, but right now, I was content.

"Are you going to celebrate your victory with anyone special?" A female reporter asked.

I rolled my eyes "It won't be you." I snapped. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Junho giving me the cut-off signal in his attempt to put out a fire I just started, because my last comment got the room buzzing, so I nodded "No more questions, please. I'm tired and just want to relax."

I hated doing interviews, no matter the venue. Of course, it came with the job, so I dealt with it. I picked up my belt and made my way out of the room even as the vultures continued squawking for more answers to their bull, stupid- questions. Of course, there were more vultures outside, but I walked past them as I made my way to the waiting limousine.

"ing hate reporters." I grumbled as I settled into the comfortable leather seat.

"Yeah, I know you do, but you handled yourself well...for the most part." Junho said with a chuckle.

"Why can't they ever ask intelligent questions? It's all about looking for they can make a scandal out of." I complained, rolling my eyes.

"Well, saying you don't have any competition in the circuit sure gave them what they were looking for." Jinyoung stated.

I scoffed "It's the truth."

"Still, bring it down a notch, buddy." Jinyoung said "Hubris has been the downfall of many who thought they stood above it."

I tossed him a look and he gave me that stern stare I still got from my father when he was disappointed in me. It meant Jinyoung was serious and not just giving me advice I could give or take. He wanted me to take this advice.

"Fine, Jinyoung...I'll try to be more humble. I see feelings need to be spared and all." I shot back. 

"Smart ." Jinyoung shook his head "Don't party too hard tonight, buddy. You've got early training tomorrow. 6 a.m., I mean it."

I nodded. I was used to early training days, even when I partied hard the night before. I could always make it and kick "I'll be there."

"Good."

"Speaking of reporters and interviews, you have one tomorrow afternoon." Junho added.

I frowned "With who?"

"Ringside Magazine. They want to do an editorial on the man who's the youngest MMA champion in Extreme Titan Combat history."

"Ugh, I don't want to do any in-depth interviews. I don't like how they always want to pry." I fussed.

"You've been putting this off long enough, Taecyeon. Now, I've managed to filter through the many requests we've received to one that you would be prudent to accept." Junho said.

"Ringside Magazine is the number one media outlet in the world of sports. You get an editorial with them and you can see your fame skyrocket." Jinyoung said. 

I looked out of the window at all the lights from the strip. Las Vegas was truly a city that never slept, but it came to life at night. , drunkards, thieves, gamblers, tourists, you name it...they were walking the streets. But that wasn't what was on my mind. I loved being champion. I most certainly loved the money that came along with being not only one of the best fighters in the country, but also the champion. My endorsement game was on point and looking pretty as .

Michaelson's Sports were even talking about making a pair of gloves with my name on them. They wanted me on the design team and I'd be getting some of the profits too. When I heard that, I told Junho to jump on the deal. Far be it from me to turn down good money. So yeah, I liked the big bucks and the adoration of the crowd. What I didn't like was the fame. The extra scrutiny and paparazzi hanging out in trees, behind garbage cans and bushes, trying to get snapshots of me. That, I could live without.

"I'm not looking to be more famous, Junho." I said.

"If you want more endorsements, you need to put yourself out there, Champ. You're bad in the arena, we all know that, but one day you're going to need to retire and you don't want to be broke when that day comes." Junho stated "I mean, have you seen what happens to many MMA fighters? Injuries alone could put you out of work, then what? Capitalize while you can."

I turned back to him and huffed "Fine. What time is this ing interview and who's the interviewer?" 

"Two in the afternoon, and the interviewer is Ewon Jung." Junho replied.

"Time is good. It'll be after my training."

"During, buddy. I'm going to work the out of you tomorrow." Jinyoung said.

I groaned "Really, Jinyoung? I'm starting at six in the morning."

"And you'll be ending when I say so. You want to keep that belt around your waist? Well, you need to stay on top of your game." Jinyoung said.

I laughed and nodded. I loved the training, hated the weight-watching. Sometimes you just wanted that ing juicy- triple cheese burger with the applewood-smoked bacon. God, I wanted that burger so bad, but Jinyoung had me on a heartless strict diet and regiment. I was going to be sore as by tomorrow night, for sure.

"Getting back to what I was saying, the most significant aspect about this interview is the interviewer." Junho interjected.

"What's so significant about him?" I asked.

"Are you kidding? You need to read more, Taec. Ewon Jung is one of the top reporters in the business. He gets the stories most of those vultures would sell their souls for. Everyone he's done an interview with has been at the top of their game, and with the exposure they received from his editorials, it's boosted them into huge endorsement rackets, even movie and book deals."

Junho was seeing nothing but dollar signs right then. More money for me meant more money for him. Being popular meant a loss in privacy...and I valued my ing privacy.

"Don't think I want to do any movie or book deals." I said.

Junho snorted "Don't squash it yet, but keep your options open. First things first, do the interview. I'll swing by tomorrow around one to do a mock interview with you just to make sure you're feeling comfortable."

I chuckled "More like you want to make sure I don't get out of line with him."

Junho laughed "Yeah, well, you're right. This is a step in the right direction."

I saw the lights of my hotel approaching and I was relieved to soon be free of this conversation "Sure, Junho."

"Don't worry, we have a little something something for you in your room. Something to take the edge off and celebrate with." Jinyoung said.

I looked at him and smiled "Well now, that's more like it." I hugged both men as I climbed out of the limo. Of course, the paparazzi were there, mixed in with the other media reporters. Everyone wanted a piece of me and they tossed questions at me like women tossed their , and just like how I did with them, I kept walking, ignoring the blitz. I entered my hotel, which blessedly didn't allow them to follow, and made my way to the elevator.

I had the penthouse suite, twenty-five hundred a night. Pricey as , but worth it for the luxury and the privacy it provided. I slid my key card in the slot, opened the door, and entered. My suite was beautiful, if I may say so. Dining room, living room, two bedrooms, with one being the master. Two baths and a private Jacuzzi on the balcony. There was also a gorgeous pool table, and two fifty-inch screen TVs in both bedrooms and a seventy-five-inch TV in the living room. Perfect size for watching the replay of tonight's fight.

I tossed my card on the dining room table as I walked towards the master bedroom. I stopped dead in my tracks when I opened the door and laid my eyes on the very man lounging on my bed with a bow on his right cheek.

"Welcome home, Champ." he purred with lips I was looking forward to seeing wrapped around my .

I smiled and tossed my jacket onto the chair by the window. Jinyoung and Junho always looked out for me, and I appreciated that. God knows, busting a few loads was exactly what I needed after the night I'd had. I pulled my shirt over my head, tossing it without a care, and approached the bed. The guy crawled over to me, rising on his knees as he wrapped his arms around my neck. He was cute, brown hair, gray eyes, and a swimmer's build, so I knew he worked out. He had a nice-looking , too. I couldn't wait to plow it.

"I saw the fight. You looked so y taking down Rocco Sanders. I've been so excited for you to get back here so I could the of the champion." he said, grinning.

I smirked "Yeah, I bet. I hope you ate your Wheaties this morning, because I'm about to wear your out."

He looked at my muscular, tattooed chest and his grin grew wider "I love a man with tats and a piercing."

I smiled "You do, eh? Well, why don't you show me how much you love my tats by each one."

"I'll do whatever you want, baby. You've got me for the next three hours."

Good, because I was going to need every second. Time to have a little fun.

 

00006.jpeg     00006.jpeg     00006.jpeg

 

I woke up in an empty bed, something I was used to. The sated my needs and left after four hours. He gave me one hour free because I ed his brains out like the stallion I was. I rolled over and looked at my alarm clock, only to see I woke up with five minutes to spare before the alarm would go off. Well, I could sit back and claim those pitiful minutes or just get my out of bed.

Ahhhh, it. I shut 

the alarm off and climbed out of the bed, making my way to the bathroom. Fifteen minutes later, I was toweling off and slipping on a pair of sweats and a hoodie. I tied my sneakers up, then headed out the door with my duffle bag. My motorcycle was parked right where I'd left it, but unfortunately, I was greeted by some son of a with a camera.

"Pretty brief interview you gave at the conference, Taecyeon. Care to elaborate on your amazing victory?" he asked.

I ignored him as I tossed my duffle bag over my back and climbed onto my hog, starting the engine "Go yourself." I snapped, then took off. It was s like him that made me want to keep what little privacy I had. Last thing I needed was some paparazzi snapping pics of me kissing a dude. That kind of didn't go over too well in the testosterone-laden world of professional MMA fighting. It was one of the reasons I steered clear of relationships. I couldn't afford to be in one, especially not when I was on top of my game like I was now.

I made it to the gym where I'd been training for my fight for the past week and parked my hog. As soon as I entered the damn gym, Jinyoung was on me, telling me to drop and give him twenty. 

"Damn, Jinyoung. Don't I get a warm up?" I asked, setting down my duffle bag.

"This is your warm up. Get those muscles pumping, then we'll do some stretches. Go on, knock 'em out." Jinyoung commanded like a good drill sergeant.

I didn't bother to argue any longer and just dropped to the floor, knocking out the twenty push-ups. Yeah, this was about to be a very long day.

 

00006.jpeg    00006.jpeg    00006.jpeg

 

I was sweating like a pig on a spit by the time Junho came in to give me some pointers on my upcoming interview with What's-His-Face. Jinyoung told me to take a break, so I guzzled down what seemed like a gallon of Gatorade.

"You're late." I said to Junho when he took a seat next to mine.

"Yeah, I know...traffic was a . He'll be here in less than ten minutes, remember to keep your cool."

"I hope he doesn't ask me any stupid ing questions." I said, taking another sip of my drink. 

"Be smart about this, Taecyeon. If you want to become one of the highest paid fighters in not only ETC history, but in MMA history, you'll need to market yourself. Appeal to the crowds, make yourself a commodity the company will back. The more popular you are, the more money you'll make and the bigger an asset you'll become. You're young, buddy, but you have to start learning how to play your cards right. We're not in Seoul, this is Vegas, baby, and big game players run this ." Junho explained.

As much as I didn't want my privacy violated, I knew I couldn't be squared away for life and be a hermit at the same time. He was right "Yeah, I got you. I'll play nice."

He nodded and released a sigh of what I thought was relief "Good, because that's him right behind you."

I turned to see some preppy looking guy in a light blue, button down shirt and tan khakis with brown loafers. He was approaching me with a walk that was full of confidence. I guess if you could wear those shoes, you had to have some balls on you. Still, as far as reporters went, he wasn't what I was expecting. As a matter of fact, he was kind of hot. He was shorter than Junho was and had a nice swimmer's build from what I could tell under his dork clothes. Brown hair, blue eyes that held me in their gaze as he drew closer, and his lips...yeah...I loved his lips. They had a place in this world and would be better suited around my . As much as I dreaded interviews, I was starting to look forward to this one.