Hot Blooded

Seeing Red

“Okay, what the hell actually happened?” The short-haired girl sat on the floor, her back leaning against the foot of the bed as she pulled out sheafs of papers from her backpack. “First thing I hear when I get into freaking math class was that a fight occurred in the cafeteria. Next thing I know, Momo tells me that you’re suspended?!”

“She was there when I cried out of the Principal Park’s office.” Jihyo was merely lying on her bed with her hands at the back of her head, a sly smile on her face as Jeongyeon threw the sheets. “He gave me the decency to leave the school so others wouldn’t see my shame.”

“Yeah, but you actually punched Sana?!” Jeongyeon turned to peek at Jihyo’s feet before glaring at the younger girl’s small smile. “Aren’t you both the best of childhood friends?”

“Maybe not the best,” Jihyo said dryly. “I was close enough to punch her though.”

“Yeah, one of the many dreams of our classmates.” Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. “Get close enough to smack a rude one.”

“What else did Momo t-tell you?” Jihyo looked back at the older girl. “Out of curiosity for my r-reputation?”

Jeongyeon squinted at the red that slowly filled Jihyo’s cheeks.

“Why?” The upperclasswoman was getting suspicious. “Did you do something else that I still don’t know about?”

“Never mind.” Jihyo quickly sat up and hugged her knees. “How’s you and Mina?”

It was Jeongyeon turn to blush.

“N-never mind how we’re doing!” Jeongyeon raised the bag in an arm behind her. “We were talking about you here!”

“There’s nothing else to say about me!” Jihyo stood, raising a pillow with two hands in retaliation. “I deserve to know after you used me as a messenger for your love life!”

“That was after I repeatedly rejected Sana’s advances!” Jeongyeon yelled while crossing her arms. “And who was her messenger, huh?! You! So you owe me for that, which was you being my wingwoman for our penguin. So we’re even!”

“Yeah?!” Jihyo bit her bottom lips, looking for something to say. “W-well-!”

“So what about Momo, huh?” Jihyo froze, the pillow falling from her weakening group. “What else did you tell her?”

“Nothing!”

“So it wasn’t anything you said?”

Jihyo quickly sat back down on her bed as she pouted to her blankets.

“What did you do?” It was the older girl’s turn to stand. “What was so embarrassing that-?”

“I kissed her, okay?!”

The room was silent for a moment.

“Come again?”

“If I say it again, I’m allowed to beat you with my pillow.”

Jeongyeon’s arms dropped limply to her sides.

“My girl.” The older girl jumped onto the bed and wrapped an around Jihyo’s head before ruffling the younger’s hair with her other hand. “You sly dog, you finally did it!”

“Let me go!” Jihyo’s face became visibly red as she struggled to get out of the somewhat strong hold. “This is why-!”

“But I must know!” Jeongyeon threw her free hand to the ceiling in adventurous wonder. “This is the last, fleeting moments of our youth! Love is always a pursuit worth aiming for in youth!”

“Oh, like you and Mina?!” Jeongyeon’s grip instantly weakened enough for Jihyo push herself out of it. “When are you and Mina gonna go on an actual date?!”

“Jeez, isn’t it enough to confess and see each other around?!” Jeongyeon was also visibly red, her arms visibly shaking. “Sh-she might not even appreciate it...”

“And you’re the one telling me about youth’s pursuit of love…”

“A double date then!”

“What?”

“The four of us!” Jeongyeon clasped Jihyo’s hands. “Double date! Somewhere, somewhen soon!”

“A-alright…?” Jihyo gently and hesitantly pulled herself out of her friend’s, who is slightly creeping her out. “I’ll leave you to plan it then?”

“Yes!” Jeongyeon jumped off the bed to her backpack and pulled her phone out. “Right now!”

Jihyo rolled her eyes, the burn on her cheeks subsisting. She sighed and sat down on her bed, pulling on her assignments to begin working on them. She sighed as she slowly found it hard to believe that her upperclassmen are normal, between Nayeon and Jeongyeon. Momo though…

She’s the right type of maturity.

“Hey, you don’t mind if I invite my little sister would you?”

“That underclassmen?” Jihyo furrowed her eyebrows, trying to remember the small, young girl. “Is this going to be a triple date?”

“Nah, I just need a wingman,” Jeongyeon said. “For the both of us.”

“You’re gonna make-” Jihyo paused to remember the name. “Chaeyoung, right?”

“That’s the one.”

“You’re gonna torture the girl by making her our fifth wheel?”

“The little rascal needs it,” Jeonyeon answered heartily. “Have her grow up fast, get some experience from her unnies.”

Jihyo squeezed her eyes shut, hoping that the older girl’s influence never rubs off on Chaeyoung. Lord knows that she needs two Jeongyeon’s running around the school. One desperate woman for a close friend is enough for a lifetime.

“Yeah, sure,” Jihyo deadpanned. “Just as long as you’re able to keep your girl close.”

“I will.” Jeongyeon paused. “Wait, what is that supposed to mean?!”

"I'm just saying." Jihyo hid her smirk behind her assignments. "If you're gonna have the girl take after you, Mina might end up seeing double. And then she might get confused, and lost, and Chaeyoung, being the ravishing young woman, might-"

"SAY NO FURTHER PARK JIHYO!"