TWO

Fire-eater
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The light drizzle falling over the carriage made it hard to look outside, but with the windows open a nice breeze could be felt, carrying with it the smell of freshly wet grass. I was sitting next to Sehun, who was casually sleeping, his head resting on the carriage's wall. Wearing pants made it way more easier for me to seat Indian style, there was no need to be careful when no complicated dresses were involved.

In front of me, Minseok, my uncle, was sitting while scribbling something on his journal. That little piece of leather with few pages was my uncle's pride. He would usually had one of those notebooks for every expedition he held, and having come from one just now meant that he was already working on something else.

“Do you need help with that uncle?” I asked when I saw that he hadn't move from the same page for over some minutes now.

“Now that you mention it” he replied, and look up from the journal to meet my eyes. He had the very same eyes as my father, and they usually tended to be more mischievous that my father as well, but this time there was something clouding his gaze, I just couldn't pint point what it was; Worry? Fear? Tiredness? “There's this something that I'm working on, you see” he continued, “but there is this part of information that I just can't seem to decode, age may be catching up with me.”

He gave me the journal, signaling with his pointer finger the place he had been telling me about. When I looked it over I came face to face with a bunch of symbols. There was no particular order in them, they just seems to be written as if they meant something, which they of course did, and the question was what?

I put the journal on my lap and let my mind wonder through all the books that I've ever read, all those forgotten books that laid in the royal library that contained the world's knowledge. The paper was empty except for the pattern that was only inscribed in the very bottom of it.

The were divided into two, with six symbols in each side. They couldn't be letters, because even though I couldn't speak every language that has ever existed, I knew enough to be able to recognize them, this was something different. As I was to ask my uncle for some more information on what I was exactly looking at, everything clicked. Could it be they were numbers maybe? It would make sense, but then again I didn't' know to what language the belonged to.

“I think they might be numbers, but I'm not sure what they mean or what they represent” I answer back, without lifting my eyes from the weird symbols, had I seen them before?

“Maybe they are coordinates?” Sehun asked above my shoulder, staring at the journal as well. “The pattern they are in are similar to how coordinates are usually written”

“That's it, Sehun you may actually be as smart as I am” I smirked at him and watch him slightly scoff. Sehun might sometimes come as a little uninterested in things, but on the inside he was as exited as I was when it came to these things, the perfect partner in crime.

“It makes sense for them to be coordinates” my uncle replied, a little bit of excitement glittering in his eyes. “I don't think I'm familiar enough with old numerical systems, do you think you can research this one for me Hwa-Young?” Minseok finished, a soft smile playing on his lips.

“Yes of course, I'll look into it and then show you” I replied, but when I was going to give him back his journal, he stopped me.

“You should just better keep it, I'll make it easier to work on it” he replied and pushed the diary on my direction and pretty much made me drop it on my lap.

I didn't know what to say, is not that I've never helped him before, but he never gave his journals so easily. Most of the time it was me going over to his chambers and explaining what I had found to him. I didn't know whether to be exited or scared with this change of circumstance. I think Sehun thought the same, because his face expression was the very same one as mine, confusion all over.

“It's okay Hwa-Young, I want you to keep it” uncle said when he saw the look in both our faces, “just don't lose it, alright?”

“No, of course not” I practically jumped of my seat. “I'll take great care of it, I promise” I finished while clutching the journal close to my chest.

“Yah, he's not a person, you can't make that much of a damage” Sehun rolled his eyes, laid back again on the wall of the carriage and close his eyes. Before he could make any other comment though, I smacked the journal on his head, emitting a low grumble from him i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter