Love Meter 1%

LET'S PLAY A GAME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyong

            Miran didn’t come to school for three days in a row. I imagined that she would at least come back to school after the first day she was gone, but she never did. My eyes couldn’t ignore her empty desk, and a part of me was frustrated that I didn’t know what was going on. It felt like we were getting closer too.

            Why don’t her parents help her with anything?

            She never mentioned where her parents were. It has been easy to gather that she is the one that takes care of her brothers, but what about her mom and dad? Aren’t they supposed to be in the picture too? Especially, if looking after her brothers makes her miss school. She isn’t the type of student to just miss school.

            I shake my head. No, what am I thinking? If I have time to think about this, I should be focusing on ways to get even closer to her. Maybe she doesn’t hate me anymore, but that’s not much compared to getting her to like me.

            A deep sigh exits my chest. “This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.”

            “Hey, are you ok?”

            I look up to see Doyoung’s large frog-like eyes staring at me from across his desk. A surge of annoyance flares through me. Why does this guy have to be the one to help me study for the upcoming test? I then remember it is because all of my friends have respectively just as bad grades as mine.

            “What, why? I’m fine!” I grumble, still annoyed by the fact that I am talking to Doyoung.

            His eyes look down to my paper. “You’ve been erasing the same spot for the past half hour.”

            My eyes shoot down, and to my horror, I see piles of eraser shavings spread out across my paper. I swallow the lump in my throat, and try to put reason to my insane actions. “I’m a clean person!”

            He doesn’t seem convinced though. A broad smile spreads across his face. “You were thinking about Miran weren’t you?”

            My first reaction is to fold my arms as I fire back at him defensively. “Who would think about that flat-chested midget! She has a terrible personality too!” I look to the side of Doyoung’s room, my face feeling considerably hot.

            I only hear Doyoung’s voice. It forces me to check his relaxed expression. “Hmm, really? I think she’s fun and cute.” The way his lips curl up as if he sincerely means what he is saying irks me even more.

            Instantly, my hand picks up my eraser, and I chuck it at his head. “Who asked you?!”

            He manages to barely dodge the eraser, however, despite my attack he is laughing. “Wow, you’re too easy to read. You’re never going to get her to like you back this way, you know?”

            “I don’t like her! She isn’t even my type.”

            “What is your type then?”

            “I’m not telling you.” I go back to studying, pissed off by all his prying. Although, the heat in my face doesn’t go away. To be honest, I’ve never thought about what my ideal type is. I have always assumed I would end up marrying some rich girl my parents introduce me to anyways. So, what is the point in figuring out my type then?

            There is only one thing I am sure about though. Cho Miran is the complete opposite of what my ideal type would be.

            Doyoung doesn’t let the topic go. “All I’m saying is she’s never going to like you if you continue on like this.”

            It is this that catches my attention. Of course, why am I getting so worked up by him misunderstanding my feelings? This is all a game, and when I win I will be dating her. It’s a game of pretend, so I should pretend, and win.

            “What do you mean?” I look up at him.

            He shrugs. “First of all, you should have Miran help you study instead of me.”

            I stand up abruptly, my chair falling back behind me. “Oh my god! You’re a genius!”

            “Thank you?” He says, definitely confused by my outburst.

            This is it! This is the next step to get closer to her! Also, I can get closer to Miran and get a good grade in the process. It will be like killing two birds with one stone. For once, I am grateful I talked to Doyoung.

            The next day during lunch I sit with the other guys, and they are all talking about something, but my eyes are glued on Miran. A part of me wants to confidently stride up to her and tell her that she has been given the honor to tutor me, but another part of me isn’t necessarily confident in our current relationship. How do I approach her?

            I imagine many scenarios of how to ask her, but each time my doubts get in the way. Eventually, it comes to a point when lunch will be ending soon. I stand up. No, I am Lee Taeyong. Just go over there and ask her already. It is now or never.

            Everyone in cafeteria has their full attention on me, as expected. The only person that isn’t looking at me is Miran. When I finally reach her, I open my mouth to speak, but another voice interrupts me.

            “What are you doing here?” I see Ten glaring at me from the seat beside her.

            I groan to myself. This guy literally is the biggest block on Earth.

            “None of your business.” I say, done with his constant interference. After dealing with him, I turn my attention back to Miran. She looks up at me, probably just as unsure about what is going to happen next as I am.

            “Help me study for the upcoming math test.” I blurt.

            Her body recoils back, startled by my sudden request. “What?”

            I feel all the eyes of the cafeteria on me, and I fight the burning sensation of embarrassment from my face. It already took a lot of effort to ask her once. Is she really going to make me ask her again?

            My lips purse, and I can’t look her in the eyes. Why is this so hard? “Are you deaf? I asked for help on the test next week!”

            I hear the scoff from her before I can see her reaction. Great, now she’s angry. “Yelling isn’t going to convince me, idiot.”

            My hands ball into fists at my side. How am I an idiot? She’s the one that made me repeat myself! How else am I supposed to respond when someone clearly isn’t listening to me? This is exactly why she wouldn’t be my type. My type of girl would be attentive, and a good listener.

            It takes all my will to not blow up on her. I sigh, and try to smile pleasantly at her. “Will you please help me?”

            “No.”

            “What?!”

            Ten’s annoying laugh fills the cafeteria. “Serves you right.”

             I decide to ignore this, and focus on Miran. I kneel by her side, and she scoots away from me in reaction. “Come on, please.”

            Her voice sounds flustered by my persistence, and she glances around the room. Most likely, realizing how many people are watching us. “I’m busy. I have work after school this upcoming week too.”

            It feels like a constant uphill battle with her, but I refuse to give in. If not for the game, but my pride at least. No way would I let her reject me in front of this crowd. “I’ll go to work with you then, and we can study at my place on the weekend.”

            “You’re just going to be a nuisance at my work.” She continues to refuse.

            “I’ll help you at the same time.” I shoot back.

            It is hard to ignore Ten when he practically gags at this. “Are you serious? I don’t want to see your face more than I already have to on a daily basis.”

            I respond to him, but keep my gaze on Miran. She shrinks a bit, looking at her lap. “That’s your problem, not mine.”

            Her eyes finally meet mine, and they are guarded. “Please Miran… I really need your help.” When I say this her expression softens a bit.

            And, this is how I find myself once again shelfing ramen. “This is too hard!” I exclaim while looking at one of the problems Miran has given me to work on.

            I’m looking at the problem from my reference book in between working. She grabs the booklet from my hands. Her eyes turn up to me in disbelief. “This is a basic problem though…” She shakes her head still shocked by the revelation that I this much at math. She hands me back the booklet. “This is PEMDAS! How do you not know this?!”

            “Because he’s stupid.” Ten says as he comes around the corner. I was glad to hear at first that he would be working the register today. Far away from me and Miran. However, this guy just always seems to find a way to into our business.

            “I’m stupid? Aren’t you the one that got held back the other day to talk to the teacher because they are in fear you won’t pass the test?”

            “Sorry, I don’t have my parents to pay off the school so I could slide by with no trouble.”

            The mention of my parents makes me throw the book down. I step up to him. “What did you just say?” I am ready to punch this guy if I have to, but Miran steps in between us.

            “Both of you stop!” She picks up the book I threw on the floor, and shoves it into my chest. My feet shuffle back a bit from the force of her push.

            She glares at the both of us, but then finally her eyes land on me. “If you keep fighting I won’t help you anymore.”

            I take a deep breath, but stop myself from going any further. “Fine.” I look back down at the problem.

            As I do, I hear her scold Ten. “And you, stop picking fights. Go do your job please.”

            “But—”

            “Now.” She simply states.

            All I hear is a groan, and Ten’s feet trudge away. She goes back to her work. “Annoying.”

            I look up when she isn’t watching to scowl at Ten’s back. “I’m the one who’s annoyed.” I grumble under my breath.

            This isn’t the only altercation we were meant to have that day though. Later, while exiting the bathroom in the staff break room I see Ten standing by the break room door. He has his arms folded across his chest, and he blocks the door.

            My eyes roll. What now?

            He sneers over at me. “What are you trying to do?”

            I keep Miran’s words of warning in my head, and stop myself from arguing with him. “I’m trying to leave the bathroom.”

            “No, what are you trying to do with Miran.”

            Even just the sound of his voice further irritates me. “I’m trying to get her help for the test.” I hate the fact that I am explaining myself to him, but wouldn’t I have to get into his good graces for Miran to date me?

           Ten finally pushes away from the door and gets closer to me. “Stop acting stupid. I know exactly the type of person you are. You never cared about your grades.”

            I bite the inside of my cheek to suppress my anger. “You don’t know anything about me.”

            “You don’t anything about Miran either, but I do.” He challenges me with not only his words, but his eyes.

            I scoff. “Do you like her or something? She doesn’t need some love-sick guy constantly building a wall around her.”

            He doesn’t hesitate or falter. “I like her a lot. She is my best friend, and if you hurt her at all… I can do a lot more than build walls.”

            His overbearing protective attitude for Miran kindles a flame in my stomach. It burns throughout my entire body, and the way his eyes stare at me as if he knows every single detail about my life makes the flame spread. Until, it feels as though my entire body is on fire.

            Who is he to preach about protecting her? The thought occurs to me.

            I walk past him, bumping his shoulder in the process. “I don’t plan on hurting her. So, don’t cross me.” The words come out of my mouth before I can think twice about them.

            The anger engulfs me, and I have no control over what I say in that moment. Yet, it feels good to get the final word, and level the playing field.

            Despite that, as I am walking away another thought comes to me. Is what I said really true?

            The next day at lunch I am still seething with anger from Ten’s confrontation that I tell the guys everything. I finish telling the story, and look at them all. “Can you believe he had the nerve to say all that to me?”

            Jaehyun tilts his head as he studies me. “You realize Ten would definitely beat you up if you got into a fight.”

            I am shocked by his betrayal against me. “What?! I’m taller than him though!”

            Yuta snickers. “Height means nothing. Dude, you’ve never fought a day in your life. Nonetheless lifted a finger to do anything remotely close to defending yourself. You would definitely lose.”

            My eyes narrow, and I see how all the others nod their head in agreement. Yup, these are my friends. “Thanks for the support guys.”

            WinWin, thank god for him, chimes in optimistically. “Hey, but you put him in his place. Besides you still have this weekend to look forward to with Miran.”

            I frown. “She’s only coming on Saturday since Sunday is a school night.”

            Johnny wraps his arm around my shoulders. “Don’t worry, studying is the last thing you will be doing Saturday. If you do exactly what I tell you, by the end of the study session she won’t be able to leave your arms.”

            My eyebrows furrow. “What?”

            He squeezes my arm. “Seduction my friend, seduction.”

            I glance across the table to see Jaehyun shaking his head with a weary smile. Johnny continues. “First of all, she is going to see you in your casual clothes. Not the school uniform, so make sure to look nice. Girls like it when guys are fashionable. Then next…”

Miran

            Usually Saturdays are pretty slow for me. I wake up at a decent time, and cook breakfast or lunch for my brothers. That depends on what time they wake up. After that I would do all of the chores around the house and my homework so then Sunday I can do overtime at work on Sunday.

            However, today is unlike all of those Saturdays from the past. I wake up in the morning to a knock on my door. Groggily, I shuffle out of bed. When I open the door, I am surprised to see Haechan.

            His eyes are half open, and his pajamas disheveled. He points down the hall. “There’s someone at the front door asking for you.”

            My eyes narrow. “What?”

            He shrugs with a grimace on his face. “I don’t know, go check it out. I’m going back to sleep. This is way too early for me.”

            As soon as his form disappears into his room, I drag my body over to the front door. “Who the hell?” I open the front door, and standing there is a man dressed head to toe in all black.

            Immediately, the complaints I had a moment ago disappear. The man speaks in a stoic voice. “Are you Cho Miran?”

            I block the ent

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter