Cooking lesson one

The Waiter

When Baekhyun comes home after work, he plops down on the couch of his still fairly new apartment, feeling relief wash over him. It’s been a little over a year since he and Chanyeol started dating and today is the day – the day – when the tall man will move in with him. They wanted to put it off for a little while longer, but it turned out to be impossible. With both their working hours, they felt way too separated.

It doesn’t take long before Baekhyun hears the front door open and close, then Chanyeol’s footsteps nearing after he has taken off his shoes. It’s been like this since the beginning of their relationship, but Baekhyun’s heart beats in his throat and he’s barely able to contain himself.

“I’m home,” his boyfriend’s deep voice rings and a little later, the tall man comes into his view. He still wears his suit and there’s no way Baekhyun isn’t affected. “What is it?” Chanyeol asks with a wide grin when he watches the small man just gape up at him. He bends down to kiss Baekhyun’s lips before he can actually answer though.

“I thought you’d have changed out of your working clothes before coming home,” the small man says sheepishly before sitting up straight and pulling Chanyeol to sit next to him.

“Of course not,” Chanyeol says when he leans in for another kiss, “did you think I didn’t notice you can’t keep your eyes off me when I wear it?” Baekhyun laughs when he pushes his boyfriend to lie flat on his back on the couch, because he can, because Chanyeol is finally here for good.

“Well I can’t ever keep my eyes off you. But yeah the suit looks pretty good on you. As does this shade of red,” he adds, letting his slender fingers run through the soft strands of hair. “Welcome home,” Baekhyun says with a small smile before he kisses his boyfriend, though Chanyeol makes quick work of switching their positions. Hovering over Baekhyun, he smiles widely.

“Thanks, Baek,” he says, pecks his pinkish lips, then adds, “I’m hungry though. What are we eating?” He pulls Baekhyun in an embrace and soon enough, he has the small man on his lap – right where he belongs. Baekhyun, however, can’t quite help the blush that stains his cheeks as he wasn’t quite ready for this question.

“How ‘bout we order something?” he asks with a smile, though he’s more than a little embarrassed. Chanyeol smiles blankly for a moment before his grin widens.

“You have been ordering in ever since you moved out, haven’t you?” Baekhyun can only hide his face in Chanyeol’s chest, but the tall waiter prods his side and he jolts back into view again.

“I can’t cook. Even if my life depends on it,” he confesses and looks at his boyfriend with a small smile afterwards. Chanyeol coos and the butterflies in Baekhyun’s stomach seem to forget they’ve been a couple for a year now, albeit a somewhat long-distance relationship. “Stop it,” he mumbles, but there’s no way he wants Chanyeol to stop – he wants them to be this close forever.

“Alright, alright. You’ll have cooking lesson one tonight.”

 

They stroll through the supermarket, Baekhyun pushes a cart and Chanyeol holds a list of ingredients for what he says will be a healthy but delicious meal. Baekhyun noticed a lot of vegetables on the list, so that must be true, though he would have liked to leave it all up to Chanyeol. Then again, it’s true that he hasn’t been living his healthiest since he left his mom – who has, by the way, been keeping in close contact with Kyungsoo, the other waiter at the hotel. And what better way to learn than from his boyfriend? Chanyeol seems to be pretty confident in his own cooking skills and it just adds to the list of things that make the tall waiter perfect – to Baekhyun, that is.

“What are you dozing off for?” Chanyeol asks and chuckles when Baekhyun looks a little startled. “The meat is all we still need, it should be over in that section,” Chanyeol points and with a little nod, the small man follows his directions. They haven’t reached the right aisle yet when Baekhyun feels Chanyeol’s hand snake around his waist. He looks up at him with secret satisfaction, though he hides that with his words.

“You realize we’re in public, right?” Chanyeol looks down at him with a smile and hums positively in reply, but only pulls Baekhyun closer to himself. Those butterflies in his stomach make him weak in the knees and he realizes that they’re finally going to be together now. The tall man leans down for a short peck on his lips and then it just happens and it’s Baekhyun who doesn’t care about them being in public.

He doesn’t know exactly how, but he ends up in Chanyeol’s arms, legs wrapped around the waiter’s waist and arms around his neck. Chanyeol is surprised, but holds him up with strong arms anyway. Before he can question his boyfriend, though, Baekhyun already kisses him and slowly but surely, Chanyeol returns the passion.

Until a middle-aged man walks by, coughs awkwardly and mumbles disgusting at the two. Baekhyun isn’t too affected, feeling it’s just the public display of affection that made the man feel awkward, but Chanyeol looks hurt and embarrassed. Baekhyun is gently set back down on the ground, but he doesn’t let go of Chanyeol’s neck. Instead, he pulls him closer for a, short, gentle kiss this time.

“Don’t let it bother you,” he tells him, but there’s a frown still on Chanyeol’s face. “He’s just jealous he doesn’t get to kiss you,” Baekhyun adds, but he lets his boyfriend be when he realizes it’s not quite working right now. Pushing the cart forward, Baekhyun takes the slip of paper off Chanyeol’s hands and puts the last ingredient in.

 

Chanyeol is still a bit silent when they're back at their cozy little apartment. Baekhyun thinks there’s practically only one thing he can do to make that better – show off his cooking skills. Which obviously, he doesn’t have. But he can try, right? So he unpacks the groceries and stalls them all out on the kitchen counter, all the while Chanyeol is just looking at what he’s doing, not commenting at all. Baekhyun just smiles to himself when he gets a cutting board from a long forgotten kitchen cupboard and a knife from the drawer. What he definitely doesn’t want to do, is drag out the situation by talking about it more – if Chanyeol keeps feeling bothered about it, he will start up a conversation himself.

Of course Baekhyun tries to be careful, but he’s not used to this. Back at home, his mom always cooked and a little before he moved out, Kyungsoo came over to do it instead – Baekhyun never had to cut veggies before. He holds a tomato still, but as it’s just been washed, his fingers keep slipping off the surface and with his inexperience and impatience, he manages to nearly slice an entire finger off. If it wasn’t for Chanyeol’s calloused hand stopping him, that is. When Baekhyun looks at him, he sees the worried look on his boyfriend’s face that he’s grown pretty used to by now.

“Okay so just let me do the dangerous stuff, you can stir all this in a pan when I’m done cutting, okay?” the tall waiter proposes while he pushes Baekhyun out of the way gently. Red in the face, Baekhyun can’t deny that request and he looks for a suitable pan in yet another kitchen cupboard. It seems Chanyeol has no longer lost his tongue and it’s a huge relief, his plan to show off those skills definitely worked.

“So I guess I’m pretty much useless,” he mumbles, but smiles when he looks at the handsome side-profile of his boyfriend. Red hair and all – Baekhyun is very much in love. He’d almost reach out and just kiss him. Almost.

“Who’s useless? Surely not my beautiful boyfriend who’s going to make sure nothing gets burned,” Chanyeol says when he looks sideways with a playful smile, putting the knife down temporarily. Obviously Baekhyun’s not stopping himself any longer and he slings his arms around Chanyeol’s neck, but before he kisses him, he notices something unpleasant.

“You’re sweating,” he states, grabbing a paper towel from behind his waiter to dab at his forehead. Chanyeol raises his brows with the most adorable smile. “You should take this off already, you’re overheating,” Baekhyun orders dramatically, already stepping away and ing the suit’s jacket.

“Maybe... you can take it off?” the tall man suggests and there’s no denying Baekhyun’s heart beats so fast right now. He laughs though, because he loves it.

“I was already doing that anyway,” he says, holding up a sleeve for Chanyeol to take his arm from, but instead of doing that, the tall man grabs his hand and links their fingers together. When Baekhyun looks up at him, he’s kissed yet again and he gets lost in the feeling so easily.

“I love you,” Chanyeol mumbles when they separate and a blush stains Baekhyun’s cheeks, though it’s not the first time the words are exchanged between them. “I’m really starving though.” Baekhyun laughs, but there’s no way he’ll forget to reply to those three words Chanyeol said first.

“I love you too. I'm so glad you’re finally here,” he confesses when he – a little less gently than before – helps Chanyeol out of his jacket.

Chanyeol continues chopping up all the ingredients and Baekhyun watches him closely, turns the stove on to make sure the pan and oil are hot in time when Chanyeol needs them to be. It’s nice watching Chanyeol do these things, he’s diligent and focused and that’s something Baekhyun loves about his boyfriend.

“So, you ready to do some work?” Chanyeol asks when there are several heaps of vegetables and meat in plates on the counter. Before Baekhyun even says anything, the tall man looks in the drawers for a suitable spoon and hands it to his boyfriend.

“Of course,” he says, watching how Chanyeol carefully puts everything in the pan without letting the oil splash and burn his fingers. He doesn’t think he’ll ever be too tired after work to cook, if they can do it together like this. “Now I just stir-fry everything?” The sizzle is nice to his ears and the distinct smell of onions getting cooked, adds to his hunger. Chanyeol just nods at him and while Baekhyun does as he’s told, he feels Chanyeol’s arms around his waist and his chin resting on his shoulder. He just wants to snuggle closer now, but he’s been given this important task of not burning the food.

“It smells good,” Chanyeol says and it sounds as if his voice has grown even deeper – and though Baekhyun is sure that it’s just his imagination, he can’t help the shiver running down his spine. “As do you,” he adds in a whisper, burying his nose in the crook of Baekhyun’s neck, resulting in the smaller man releasing a shaky breath. Kisses follow on the sensitive area and Baekhyun doesn’t realize he stopped moving at all, until Chanyeol reminds him of that. “Keep stirring,” he says, but his hand envelopes Baekhyun’s smaller one and eventually, they’re stirring the food together.

“It’s so embarrassing I can’t even get this done,” Baekhyun mumbles, though looking fondly at Chanyeol’s hand on his own. Chanyeol pecks his cheek this time and hugs him a little tighter to himself.

“Nah this was just lesson one anyway. Plus I’m distracting you – though I can’t say I’ll stop doing that.”

 

Baekhyun is ordered to sit and wait at the dinner table. Chanyeol insisted he’ll bring the food out, even though his boyfriend thinks it’s silly because he’s not working right now. The tall man argued that it doesn’t feel like work at all – he’s with Baekhyun after all. Because he knows the feeling will go away in time, Baekhyun enjoys every moment of being in love and he’s sure that when the butterflies fade, they will remain close.

Chanyeol returns from the kitchen, plates in his hands and a gorgeous smile on his face – it’s easy to see he’s as much in love as Baekhyun is. It doesn’t matter that the food is only messily splayed out on the plates and it looks nowhere near as fancy as the food Chanyeol used to bring him in the hotel; Baekhyun is happier than ever.

And it’s delicious. If it’s going to be like this, Baekhyun wouldn’t mind cooking for the rest of his life – though he will definitely need cooking classes up until lesson 50 before he dares step foot in the kitchen alone. Chanyeol reassures him that he will gladly teach him, with love, and there’s no reason why Baekhyun should doubt that. At this very moment, there’s nothing Baekhyun doubts at all. When they’re finished and everything they used, is set in the dishwasher, he takes Chanyeol’s hand in his and tiptoes to kiss him. They kiss with passion and Chanyeol's hands on his behind feel just right, just like his own fingers that are tangled in dark red strands of hair.

“I can’t wait to wake up next to you,” Baekhyun says as soon as they’ve caught their breaths. Chanyeol shows him a mischievous smirk when he hauls him up like they stood in the supermarket as well, though this time, Baekhyun’s back is supported against the wall.

“There’s something I would like to happen before that, which I can’t quite wait for either.”

 

--

Uwaa let me just thank you so much for the positive response!!! <3 Thank you for the subs and upvotes and comments! I hope you can let me know what you think now that the story is finished, too! <3 Also, there are two precious people who promoted my story in their feeds! o-o <3 I've already found one of you, but I'd love to personally thank the other person as well, so please let me know? :3 

I hope you didn't mind the MASSIVE amount of fluff ^^' I loved writing it though haha c: