Trial #1

Really
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

“You have got to be ing kidding me,” Ae Ra said, giving me a deadpanned look while I merely blinked at her. We stared at each other, me silently convincing her that I mean serious business and her silently refusing to believe it. Min Kyung tilted her head at me, partially confused. “Uhm, you’re bringing us to your date?” I simply nodded my head in reply and continued to walk.

 

After a small pause, they speed walked to catch up to me. “Why do we have to be there?” Ae Ra whined at the same time that Min Kyung innocently asked, “Does Baekhyun know we’re tagging along?” I fixed my bag strap on my shoulder and sighed. “Were you even listening?” I rolled my eyes. “Baekhyun knows you guys are going and he said it was okay, if that makes me comfortable. You guys will be there because—”

 

“So it’s not a date then?” Ae Ra so rudely interrupted. I chose to ignore her interruption and instead just continued on saying, “—we’re going to check if he’ll look at other girls.” I held my hand out and motioned between the two of them as I said this. “You know, this’ll tell me if he might cheat in the future.” They gave me a ‘what the is wrong with you’ look for that but I just shrugged.

 

I can pretty much tell that they have more to say but knowing full well that they can’t convince me to do otherwise because I’m hardheaded like that, they decided to just save their energy and shut up about it. After all, having been friends for years now, they were very much used to how twisted my mind can get.

 

The walk to our favorite spot in the school courtyard was quiet which isn’t particularly a norm for us so I decided to break the silence and so randomly said, “We’re going on a picnic.” They turned their heads to look at me. “That’s actually pretty cute!” Ae Ra pointed out. “Like seriously a great date idea. Did he think of that?” I nodded in response just as we all started to take our seats and settle down.

 

I set my bag on the empty seat next to me then I put my clasped hands on the table, leaning forward a little as if I were to start a business meeting. “Okay, Listen up!” I started, making the two girls pause at whatever they were doing. They exchanged confused looks. “I need you guys to look extra pretty on that day.”

 

When all they did was stare blankly at me, still obviously confused, I continued. “I’m talking make up, cute, dainty little summer dresses—that are short so you show a lot of leg and preferably with thin straps to show some shoulder action!” I spoke with my hands for some added effect, making the two giggle at how ridiculous I was being. Min Kyung shook her head at me fondly as she said, “You’re absolutely crazy but fine, we’ll do it.”

 

“Under one condition!” Ae Ra quickly added. I narrowed my eyes at her automatically but realizing that they might not help me out if I don’t compromise, I sighed. I motioned for her to go on with my hand. She smirked a tiny bit. “We expect progress reports from you.” I scoffed. Progress reports? What is this? A research? I was laughing a little as I held my hand out for a handshake to seal the deal. Of course, I don’t mean to actually do it but let’s just pretend that I would for now.

 

Our attention then quickly shifted. We took out all the snacks we bought at the convenience store earlier and gradually quieted down to begin individually working on things for our separate classes. For the first few minutes, we were pretty much consumed in each other’s work. So much so that it seemed as though we didn’t even know each other existed but after a while, we began to talk again.

 

We decided to take a short break now that we were too distracted to go back to work. We bantered here and there, did a little gossiping and laughed at each other until we somehow ended up talking about Baekhyun.

 

I haven’t really said much about him, not that there was anything much to say anyways. After the fateful day that he became the new Trial Round Victim, we didn’t talk much. He did text me a couple of times which was when he told me about his plan for our supposed “first date” and other ones that were really just him asking what I was up to. It was pretty much just small talk.

 

He tried to call once or twice as well but I wouldn’t pick up. He didn’t try to call again after that or texted anything either. “What? He’s not texting you anymore? Why?” I merely shrugged, munching on my egg sandwich. “So… you guys are just basically waiting for Sunday then?”

 

Since my mouth is full, I nodded in response but after chewing and swallowing my food, I then told them that, “He did say that he has a departmental exam to cram for so maybe that’s why he hasn’t called or texted.” Finished with the sandwich, I proceeded to searching our pile of snacks for some chips. When I found one that I actually liked and was about to grab it, I noticed my two idiot friends grinning at me creepily.

 

“What?” I asked with a small pout on my lips as I successfully took a bag of potato chips. “This is good. Early signs of this guy probably being different than the rest,” Ae Ra rambled on, most probably talking to just Min Kyung. The latter giggled and automatically agreed. “What are you even talking about?” I interjected.

 

“She’s saying that this Baekhyun guy just might be the one to lift the curse.” Min Kyung winked at me and I scoffed, tearing the bag open with my teeth. “What? Why would you suddenly think that?” I sounded a lot more defensive than I should have which is probably why they’re grinning even wider at me now. “You actually know about his schedule or well… paid attention enough to remember it.”

 

I scoffed yet again. That’s it? What is wrong with these girls? “Okay? I’m not allowed to simply remember things?” Ae Ra and Min Kyung, right then and there, were ready to defend their claims but I quickly dropped the subject and told them we should just shut up and continue doing our work. With that, the three of us resumed and ignored each other for an hour and a half until free period was over. 

 

We have different majors so we parted ways right when the bell rang. I made sure to remind them about the deal we made and in turn, they reminded about the “progress reports” as well. I only laughed, waving them a final goodbye before really heading my way. Just as I started walking, I heard my phone ping. I fished it out of my pocket immediately and opened the message without really looking at who it was from.

 

Baekhyun(?): Hi, Cheon Sa! How are you? :)

 

Would you look at that, it’s a text from my little victim. I didn’t want to seem too eager or even interested so I left it on read and took my sweet time heading to class. Only after setting my bag down and taking out my materials for the lecture did I reach for my phone again. I typed in a short and dull reply.

 

You: Good. You?

 

Literally right when I put my phone down, just about ready to take down some notes, my phone lit up with his reply. “That was fast…” I mumbled to myself, deciding to ignore it for a couple of minutes, again not wanting to seem too eager or anything before I read it and replied.

 

It went on like that for a while but no matter how dry I made the conversation, he always somehow found a way to keep it going. He replies pretty damn fast as well and it just made me wonder whether he was in class or not. I asked him and he apparently was in class as well.

 

Suddenly, I’m a lot more amused than I should’ve been. I don’t know why but I had the audacity to about not paying attention. This then gave him the opportunity to make our dry and boring conversation a lot spicier.

 

I found myself chuckling at his texts every now and then though still maintaining a time interval between my replies. I had to admit, he definitely sparked my interest in some kind of way but that’s nothing really. He’s apparently fun to text with, so what?

 

Suddenly, my class was over and I had no idea. I apparently paid no attention whatsoever without even meaning to but I guess it was okay. It wasn’t the best class or my most favorite one anyways. For some weird reason though, Baekhyun has kept the conversation going even after my class has ended. I just had to tell him to stop because it was time for me to go to work.

 

Baekhyun(?): Aw :( Wish I could visit but I still have some classes to go to

You: Well, see you Sunday.

 

 

“Is it just me or did Sunday come really fast?” Ae Ra mumbled as she fixed the clips on her hair. Min Kyung could only reply distractedly as she was busy putting on some fake lashes. Boy, they were taking this way too seriously. I had finished getting ready like half an hour ago and these girls are still at it. Every single time I think they’re done, they had apparently more to do.

 

So I sat there in complete awe, thinking I would never, in my entire life, take that much time trying to look good for anyone, most especially for a guy. I didn’t complain or say anything though. I just patiently waited because I did make them do this after all.

 

There was a stark contrast between their outfits and mine. I wore a floral sleeveless dress that stops just below my knees over a black t-shirt and some combat boots while the two wore some really nice and short, strappy summer dresses that I’m sure might be a pain to try and pull down later when we’re sitting on the ground.

 

They simply look stunning, like two gorgeous picnic es while I look like a goth chick who was forced to wear a dress. Either way, I wasn’t planning on dressing up anyways. The point was to make them stand out more and see if he takes interest. “Okay, we’re done!” Min Kyung chirped.

 

I shot up from my bed and went, “Thank god! I was just about ready to miss the date and sit here waiting for you guys forever.” Of course I was joking and they knew that but they still shot me a glare, reminding me that they were just doing what I wanted them to. I laughed sheepishly and lead them outside so I could lock up my apartment.

 

Baekhyun and I agreed to just meet up at the park so we had to commute to get there and already, the two girls were getting quite a lot of attention from males. In the bus and even as we were walking around the park looking for Baekhyun, a couple pairs of eyes were on them and feasting on their beauty. I seemed to just fade in the shadows, long forgotten and I couldn’t help but get all ecstatic about it. This just means my plan will work!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter