Final

Blame

The dance floor was filled with sweaty and smelly bodies, but nonetheless the crowd  seemed to be having fun. You along with your friends were jamming to the music but you couldn’t get your attention off of one guy, Choi Seungcheol, your long time best friend and now a secret crush as well. Was he having fun? Was he alone? Or did he already leave? These types of events weren’t his cup of tea, but he persisted to come “in case you needed help” apparently. His care and concern made your heart flutter but you quickly shook your head to try to shake off the thoughts, knowing fully well that he was just a friend, and he only had good platonic intentions. Suddenly the beat changed to a slower one, and one by one people slowly left, leaving couples on the dance floor. Your friends went to grab drinks while you stayed at a nearby table, staring aimlessly at couples, unconsciously feeling a bit envious. Suddenly you feel someone grab your hand and turning your head, revealed a smiling Seungcheol. Your face heats up and your heart races, leaving you unable to think straight. “Is this really” you thought to yourself. He tugs on your hand and tilts his head to the dance floor. Unable to process what was happening, you followed his lead, and failed to notice the welling tears in his eyes. That is until you’re directly face to face and the first tear drops. Your heart struck world crumbles and your emotions do a 180. You try to speak over the music, “what-“. But before you could continue, he pulls you into a hug and you feel his sobbing. You instinctively rub his back, still confused at the situation at hand. He pulls away, still crying, but offers you a sad smile. “Seungcheol what happened” you ask still holding him. He leans into your ear and your heart involuntarily races. “I saw her. I saw her making out with another guy.” Your heart drops but soon your entire body is filled with rage. “Really!?” You scream over the music. He gives you a weak nod and goes back to your shoulder. “I don’t know why she’s with him, I treated her well, she said she returned my feelings. I just don’t understand.” He said in between voice cracks and tears. You’ve never seen Seungcheol so vulnerable and so helpless, which makes your heart ache even more. “That’s such an move, what kind of…” you began “If she treats you like that, I don’t like her for you, you deserve someone sooo much better.” He sways you in silence and an empty pit subconsciously starts to form in your stomach. “I know you really liked her, but screw her, no one deserves to be treated like that. You don’t deserve to be treated like that. She’s a prick. Don’t waste your time on her. With your personality AND looks, ho Seungcheol, you can get ANYONE! And p.s. you can do waay better.” He cracked a laugh and you felt a bit better. The song eventually came to an end and he looked at you. “Thanks for letting me cry on you, and sorry as well, I think I, uh, got some snot on you.” He said trying to tidy himself. “No worries, that’s why I’m here right?” Your heart broke the moment after those last 5 word left your lips. “I’ll go freshen up, sorry and thanks again” 
You walked back to your friends and they began teasing you. “Hey! Hey! Hey! We saw that!!” “You never told us there was something going on!” You suddenly felt the deepening pit in your stomach. Collecting every ounce of energy that remained in your body, you said “Noo, no no, he’s actually crying guys…”, trying to sound like your usual self, although, in reality, any minute now you would start bursting into tears yourself. “Huh, what? Why??” They all asked in confusion. “I’ll explain later, I need to go to the bathroom first.” You kindly excused yourself, hoping they wouldn’t find it suspicious. They shrugged and said they’d just meet you on the dance floor. You hurried past people and went to check on Seungcheol. Finding one of his friends you asked where he was, and once you confirmed he was in the bathroom, you ran out to the parking lot and plopped on the sidewalk crying. You wanted to hide from the world. You didn’t need Seungcheol or your friends to see you like this. Of course you were sad for your best friend, but you couldn’t help but feel terrible for yourself as well. Were you ugly? No. Were you mean? No, most especially not to him. Were you too loud? Too quiet? Too childish? So many questions ran through your mind, trying to find where you were lacking that you couldn’t win his heart. You laughed at your pathetic self. I can’t believe I actually thought I had a chance with him. Of course I’m just another person for him to lean on, of course he wouldn’t fall for me, I’m his friend. You feel your chest tighten at your reality, and you can’t help but just cry some more. There was no one to blame. He didn’t ask you to like him, he didn’t try to make you like him. It was you. You fell for his sweet words. You fell for his care and concern. You fell for the attention he gave you. It’s only you to blame.