The Regrets

CLOSURE

00:01 AM.

 

Knock knock.

Knock knock knock.

 

Yongsun opens her eyes after hearing several knocks on the door that wakes her up from her deep thoughts. She lets out a sigh before marching lazily to the door. Which crazy person has some nerves to visit me this late? I swear to God, I will report it to the police if this is just another prank.

After Yongsun opens the door, her jaw drops in surprise. She is greeted with a bucket of yellow magnolia hold by someone whose face is hidden behind the flowers. Yongsun doesn’t need to ask who that someone is because there is only one person who knows her favourite flowers and it is her. Her Moonbyul.

“Happy birthday, Yong.” Moonbyul says with her adorable smile spreading across her face from ear to ear as she hands the flowers. Yongsun has stiffened in her spot, eyeing Moonbyul from head to toe. She cannot help but to notice how Moonbyul has gotten thinner and paler. Being the reason behind Moonbyul’s current condition makes Yongsun hates herself.

After spending another minute or so in deafening silence while looking into each other’s eyes, Yongsun still gives no reaction. Moonbyul her lips in anticipation. She has prepared herself for the worst scenario possible, that is, if Yongsun kicks her out mercilessly with all her might. Moonbyul can feel her heart beat faster for each second passed.

Yongsun finally breaks their eye contact. She has her head hung low, sobbing mutely as tears rolling down her puffy cheeks. Being the ever-soft-hearted person, she is, Moonbyul reaches Yongsun’s face to wipe the tears, however, Yongsun grabs her wrist and pushes it away.

“I- I’m sorry. I just want to be the first to wish for your birthday, b-but it seems like you want me to leave,” Moonbyul speaks in a trembling voice. She rather sees Yongsun gets mad than turns a cold shoulder at her. Afraid that she might hurt Yongsun more, Moonbyul places the flowers on the floor carefully and takes a few steps backward. In a split second, she turns around ready to leave, her back facing Yongsun. What happens next is unforeseen by her.

Yongsun jumps from her spot. She wraps her arms around Moonbyul’s waist to stop the taller girl from leaving. “No,” she mumbles in between her sobs, “don’t leave me.” She tightens her embrace, snuggling her face at Moonbyul’s shoulder, absorbing herself with the warmth and scent she misses the most.

Without realizing it, Moonbyul also shed a tear.

“Do you have… regrets?” Yongsun enquired.

“Regrets? I got a few,” she paused, ”thousand. I’m sorry it takes me two months to gather up my courage to face you.” Her hand caress Yongsun’s arm and squeezes it softly. “I wish I hadn’t been drunk that night,” she gulps a lump before continuing, “and walked recklessly. I thought it would pass as time went by, but I was so wrong. I had been living with deep guilt until that day came. The day when I first saw you in the class, I was beyond grateful.“ She smiled to herself, reminiscing the memory. “I thought God must have still loved me for giving me chance to make it up to you. From that moment, I have promised myself to make you the happiest person alive. I will not let anything hurt you. I’m so sorry that I have fooled you from the beginning, pretending not to know you. I’m so sorry that in the end, I find myself loving you, Yongsun-ah.” Moonbyul feels relieved after her confession. It is as if a heavy burden has been lifted from her chest. “What I’m trying to say is I’m so… sorry. I wish I hadn’t done it.”

“So… all this time you know who I am?”

“Yes.”

“And from the start, you have approached me on a purpose to—”

Before Yongsun can finish her words, Moonbyul breaks her grips and turns around, now facing her. She lifts up Yongsun’s chin so she can meet her gaze.

“Yes.”

Once again, Yongsun embraces Moonbyul while muttering her apologies like a mantra. She cannot hold guilts that slowly eating her. How can she be so heartless? All this time, Moonbyul has been staying with her to make up for her reckless actions while all she can think about is taking revenge from the girl.

“I’m so sorry, Byul-ah. I wish I hadn’t broken up with you. I wish I hadn’t said it. You are not a worthless fool. I’ m sorry for being heartless. I wish that I could take it all back.” Yongsun runs out of breath as she speaks.

Moonbyul tightens their embrace. She then kisses Yongsun’s temple.

“Stop saying bad things about yourself. You are not heartless. You are my one and only sunshine.”

“Yaah! Can you drop your greasiness at a moment like this?” Yongsun hits Moonbyul’s chest playfully.

There they lock gazes and smile like a fool. At last, they wrap up a closure as they pave up a new beginning ahead.