SLOTH

A Move of Sevens

Felix stared at his apartment door. Going away from his family and living alone, he’s not sure what to expect now he’s going to start his life as a college student. His apartment is full of mysteries so to say, he got it for a cheap price and the owner already warned him.

“The apartment is haunted, are you sure you’re going to stay there?” the owner asked, concerned at how vulnerable the younger looks. “I wouldn’t be staying in the apartment often though, I’ll just go there to wash and sleep, that’s all,” Felix lied, he just really want to get the cheapest apartment in Seoul and that’s the cheapest he can get.

He sighed again, he’s prepared to whatever he would face. He opened the door and was surprised that everything’s quite neat. In place and it doesn’t even look creepy at all, it looks normal. Felix breathe, at least it was better than what he expected. He moved his luggage in his room and several boxes he had in his car. He doesn’t have much stuff since the whole apartment is already furnished and he only has his essentials like clothes, toiletries and his beloved gaming laptop.  He decided to unpack his things since he’ll be having classes tomorrow and he doesn’t want to procrastinate.

“Ahh~ you just moved in and you’re already unpacking, you can do that tomorrow after classes you know,” a voice said. Felix’s head turned as he see a figure on his bed staring at him with lazy eyes. “How did you get in here?” Felix asked. “I live here? Ever heard that this apartment is haunted?” the guy asked. Felix gulped, the ghost doesn’t seem like a ghost “I can switch forms?” the ghost replied. “Are you reading my mind? Coz if you are, please stop doing that,” Felix begged. “I’m Minho,” the ghost said and stretched his hand. Felix took it and they shook hand. “Felix,” he replied, seems like Felix doesn’t care about being haunted anymore. 

“You’ve been close to death I see,” Minho said with a mischievous smile. Felix took his hand back and waved him off. Close to stuttering, he began ignoring Minho. “A depressed child, living alone, having studies as one of the cause of his depression yet he still buries his head on text books; tried killing himself with a blades, pills and almost drowning himself during PE classes, what a story you have there,” Minho said as he switched his lying position. Felix ignored him, not really wanting to talk. In a glitch, Minho was close to Felix’s face “Loose up a little,” Minho said as he flicked his hand and all of Felix’s items, went to its rightful place. “You should rest today Felix,” another flick and he was tucked in bed. Felix eyes slowly closed down and he was in deep slumber. 

“You know you shouldn’t be too hard on him you know? Considering he doesn’t remember much,” a voice said to Minho. “I know but he need it anyways, trust me he’ll thank me,” he replied. “Why doesn’t he see the rest of us though?” another voice, a bit younger, asked. “It’s not time yet I guess, one shows up the one he needed the most so,” Minho said as he stared at Felix. They went to go on their own tasks again leaving the sleeping boy.

Felix doesn’t want to talk about it nor admit it, he was denial of his sickness even if the doctors already told him about it. He thinks he’s fine, he’s not depressed, just overly affected with negative emotions. He refuses to believe he is depressed, that’s what everyone who doesn’t have a clue about depression wants him to believe, that he’s just overly sad and overly reacting over things. He’s denial to it but it keeps getting him. It’s true that he thinks he’s much of a waste of space, he tried killing himself several times but a lot of factors and people kept preventing him from doing so, like that one time his classmate barged into his room for a regular game night only to find him almost drowning from his own blood, and that one time he drank too much pills only to find himself awake in a hospital room saying a student caught him when he collapsed at school then time he drowned himself during swimming classes only to be revived by their teacher. He doesn’t understand why he’s hurting so much, like he’s forgetting something and only his heart knows about it. He gets sleepless nights that he just turned into his books and lessons; he gets good grades, great friends, nice hobbies and supportive parents. He doesn’t have financial problems nor problems with other people, yet he feels off. His interest to his hobbies such as painting, rapping and dancing slowly falters, he feels hopeless when he doesn’t do well. He eats less that it worries people but he brushes it off as dieting and staying fit. He’s restless when he’s not doing anything, it was pretty evident, yet he refuse to believe it. 

Felix woke up after that rest he didn’t knew he really needed after those sleepless nights. Felix checked his phone and panicked. “Oh my- I’m already late,” he said as he scrambled away from his bed and tried to fix himself. “Ahh~ Felix it’s too early!” Minho whined at the couch. “It’s already 11am Minho, my class is at 7!” Felix said. “11am? Ah yeah! I forgot to tell you I played with your phone settings last night. It’s actually 4pm already, your classes ended an hour ago,” Minho said and yawned. Felix panicked even more, “And you didn’t woke me up?!” Felix yelled, thinking what lessons he already missed. “One, I’m not your butler who goes ‘Sire, it’s already 4AM and you have schedules at 7, kindly wake up’ and serves you eggs and bacons in bed; Two, I was sleeping too, relax, I already bought you notes from that human who’s in the same class as you,” he said and pointed at a notebook filler resting at the kitchen table. Felix quickly checked the notes and it was indeed today, they have an assignment and he needs to finish it pronto. 

He finished it in a couple of minutes but he decided to review and learn more about the lesson in case there’ll be a surprised quiz tomorrow. “Felix! Relax!” Minho said and closed Felix’s books, “Ever tried not looking on your text books?” Minho asked sighing. “No,” Felix replied and continued reviewing, but he couldn’t open the book. “Minho! Open the book!” Felix was slightly pissed off. “Nope, too lazy,” Minho said and Felix let out an exasperated sigh. Felix went to bed early, not really in mood to do anything. Minho smiled and went to sleep. 

It went on for a week, Felix waking slightly early day after day. He woke up at 3PM on Tuesday, 2PM on Wednesday, 1PM on Thursday, 12NN at Friday and 11AM at Saturday. Each day he learned to let go slowly and just don’t care much about his grades. He feels slightly happy letting go of a huge burden of studying too much. He gets more rest often than there is and he smiled. Minho pretty much had a good point, it’s true he needed to rest and relax. He went early to bed on Sunday, making sure he’ll get to class on time tomorrow. 

As he was sleeping, Minho was shaken by a young boy, “Hyung, the mark,” The younger said and showed his wrist. One star left out of nine. They both stared at each other, they knew what was going to happen but they made a silent agreement to ignore it. 

One sunny day, Felix was double checking the bags in case they forgot something. “Ah~ Felix, you doubled checked our bags for the nth time of the day! Stop and get in already, we might get late!” a voice said. Felix laughed and shouted “I’ll be there in a minute,” he said and fixed the bags. He went in and sat at the middle part, taking out his Bluetooth speaker mic and played their favourite song. The car started and they went on. Bickering as one of their friend slept silently with a smile.