Chapter Two: Love

Love and Loveless

 

 

Jung Yunho has never thought his tattoo to be of importance.

When he was a young boy, girls in school would persistently ask him to show his tattoo to know if they were fated ones. He hated it as he had to remove his uniform and his undershirt just for some silly chance at a pipe dream. It was rubbish! So whenever a girl checked out his back, he would check their backs too and end up making the girl cry.

The idea was far-fetched to him, having parents whose tattoos didn’t reflect each other’s thoughts, yet they worked harmoniously. For Yunho, the tattoos don’t mean anything. We are not meant for anyone from the start, and we can choose who to love.

Years went by and he grew up. Many things changed, but his belief remained set - Love is something that requires effort.

 

--

 

 

One day during class, Yunho's focus was completely on the lecture. It was a huge class of around a hundred students, and any important detail was easy to miss. Out of nowhere, this loud disconcerting noise was heard,

"AA-CHOOOOO!!!!"

Someone's sneeze roared across the room. Laughter suddenly filled the hall and everyone stared at the one who disturbed the peace in the class.

But Yunho didn't laugh. Because in the middle of all the clamor, there sat a being so beautiful it was as if the heavens opened to personally shine light on him, even while he wiped his nose.

"Sorry!" The angelic creature said, the color high on his cheeks was visible even from where Yunho was sitting. Everyone laughed again.

To Yunho though, the voice he heard was equally as beautiful as its owner, and he was drawn so deeply, his focus waned through the rest of the lecture.

The next class, while Yunho was in his seat getting his notebook from his bag, this distinct clean voice was heard, "Excuse me?"

Yunho looked up just to find it was the heavenly being from his previous class (or very possibly from heaven in truth). His presence planted a flower that bloomed in Yunho's barren heart. Many many beautiful people came into Yunho's life but none as ethereal as this being. And he was even more beautiful up close. His clear wide eyes could engulf you, his fair skin was immaculate... And that mole on his cheek was the most adorable speck that graced the universe.

"Is this seat taken?" The lovely creature asked, pointing to the seat beside Yunho.

"N-no." Yunho has never stuttered in his life. He was always composed, unfazed. This was unlike him. Unable to stop himself, he then blurted out, "I saved it just for you." Gosh that was subtle. Great job, Yunho.

The beauty paused before laughing from what he heard. "Then I guess, thanks? Haha." His laugh was so charming it tickled Yunho's ears and soothed all his problems instantly.

Yunho couldn’t stop staring at the wonder that sat next to him, fixing his things, and sprinkling a little bit of fairy dust with every move. The most mundane of actions have suddenly become wonderful to behold.

Yunho knew that love does not automatically happen, yet here he was with such dizzying feelings. He shook his head and reminded himself that love is something that is given effort, so he started a conversation.

"I've seen you. We're classmates in 126."

The fair creature turned to look again with his large doe eyes. "Ahh right! Sorry about that." He looked away with a slight blush on his cheek as he remembered his monstrous sneeze. "I have a cold recently… That was embarrassing..." He laughed softly.

"No, it was a nice break from the boring lecture." The lecture wasn't boring to be honest, but Yunho couldn't help himself again and his smooth words started kicking in. It's no question as to why ladies easily like him. "I'm Jung Yunho by the way." He held out his hand.

The being stared a bit before smiling and taking his hand. "Kim Jaejoong," he responded.

And that was a name Yunho treasured, a single utter of it was a spell so powerful it could rid all unpleasantness in his day. He felt like he was on cloud nine.

 

--

 

 

Yunho learned that he had a few classes together with the heaven-sent being. He's gotten closer with him over the next few days. But more often than not, they wouldn't get along because like everyone Yunho despised when he was young, Kim Jaejoong was also obsessed with his soulmate. Someone he called his Love.

"That's not real," Yunho told him once while eating. They were having lunch around a table together with their slim, short-haired friend, Changmin. "How could two people be compatible on the spot without knowing each other first? Their likes, what they don't like... They grew up in different environments, adopted different beliefs, were taught different values..."

"Of course you would say that. You're a non-believer," Jaejoong rebutted, a stubborn set to his lips. This honestly irked Yunho because it wasn't even an argument at all. "Two people were made for each other, complimenting each of their strengths and weaknesses. That's why they're soulmates," Jaejoong said like it's the most common knowledge in the world.

"Relationships continue because of decisions and commitment. And firstly, relationships develop because two people form a bond over time," Yunho explained seriously. "Not because suddenly they knew they were meant to be."

Times like this, their friend wouldn’t comment and remain eating quietly. Nobody wins when the two argued anyway.

"Aii, Loveless..." Jaejoong sighed while he resumed eating. "You will know when you meet someone. Don't come to me crying 'fate' or 'destiny'!"

Maybe the only reason Yunho hated it was because it felt like he was competing against someone who wasn't even there to prove his love. Why spend so much time on someone you've never met, something that couldn't be even real? Why give so much love, spend so much tears?

He is the one who is here, right? Is that not enough?

Is he not enough?

 

--

 

 

Jung Yunho has never thought his tattoo to be of importance.

The man has never believed in soulmates. For him, a relationship must be treated with respect, given time and hard work.

But the next days were totally mystifying. Yunho would bump into Jaejoong randomly - at the mall, in the hallways, in a random restaurant. He had enough difficulty not to be eaten up by the thoughts of the fair-skinned beauty, yet it seemed they always met by chance, without effort.

“Fate?” It crossed his mind but as soon as it did, he swept it away, “No.” Still, these thoughts kept gnawing at him - he actually hoped it was so. He was so head-over-heels that he prayed to all the Gods there is. For the first time in his life, he wished soulmates were absolutely real, and that he and Jaejoong were undoubtedly paired together.

"Jihye, could you check my back please?" He asked his sister one time in their house while lifting up his shirt.

His younger sister was baffled because he never cared about the inscriptions. "Wow! Who's the unlucky girl?" She said as she pulled up the shirt to his neck and saw the tattoo across his shoulders.

'bull' it read.

She burst into a loud laughter. "Ahahahahahahaha!!!"

"What? What does it say?"

Jihye kept laughing and patted her brother's shoulder, not helping at all to calm his curiosity. "It says bull. Ahahaha. Maybe you are your own soulmate, brother?"

Yunho bitterly pulled down his shirt. Unfortunately, this only reinforced his belief that nothing pleasant was ever written on his back. "Remind me never to check this again," he grunted, and was disappointed from not being able to find a connection between his tattoo and the lovely force of nature, Kim Jaejoong.

 

--

 

 

Down-trodden that he is un-paired with his muse, he still was set on his non-belief in pre-determined matches, having more faith in investing effort.

"I liked you, didn't I?"

He said one day while eating out with the object of his affection. His beauty shone more amidst the small casual restaurant, that Yunho regretted not bringing him to somewhere fancier.

"I said, I like you, Jaejoong." Yunho repeated, finally having the courage to lay his feelings out in the open. He wished he didn’t look as nervous as he felt, because his heart was fluttering like an earthquake had been trapped inside. It also didn’t help that he was met with a reaction he couldn't understand - this fair-skinned man with food in his mouth screaming “Whaaaaat” which rang throughout the restaurant.

For the next hours that passed, Yunho mulled over the turn of events. Not a minute passed without him questioning all that could be questioned. Does the heaven-sent like him back? Was that a reaction of shock? Or the worst of it all, disgust? He couldn’t be sure, but it didn't stagger his determination to win Jaejoong’s heart.

Yunho asked the lovely man out constantly over the next few days. What relieved Yunho was that Jaejoong would never decline and to him, it's the best sign he could get.

Loveless is what the beauty called him.

But he was sure to prove he had more love to give than the one Jaejoong called Love.

 

--

 

 

Even if he weren’t the one for Jaejoong, how fortunate was he to be allowed to spend time with such a wonderful being? They started dating, and every day that goes by, Yunho's affection towards Jaejoong only grows more and more. When he is with him, all the woes in his life fall into the far backdrop, and the world suddenly turns bright and magnificent.

When his sister's birthday came, Yunho decided to bring Jaejoong to meet his family. They would love him for sure, and it was another chance for the two of them to be closer.

Unbeknownst to him, all his prayers, hopeless wishes and desires would be answered this day.

They went through the gate and were immediately greeted by enthusiastic barks. This huge dog with black and white fur approached them and wagged its tail to greet him.

"I missed you, Typhoon!" He rubbed his fluffy friend.

Suddenly, Jaejoong pulled him on the arm, almost yanking him. "Say that again?" The shorter man asked with his clear wide eyes.

Yunho couldn't tell what the concern was.

"Your dog's name, what was it?" Jae repeated.

"Typhoon... I got him about-"

"Seven years ago," Jaejoong claimed before he could even say it.

Yunho wondered when he even told him that. He couldn’t recall ever bringing it up.

"Can I check your back?" Without waiting for his response, the smaller man right then lifted up his shirt.

"What are you doing?" This was like back in his elementary days where others would pull up his shirt and made him a little bit uneasy. But his query was left unanswered.

"When is your birthday, Yunho?"

"February six," He replied nonchalantly, and realized it was never brought up since it would be another eight months 'til his birthday.

"Do you like the color green?" Jaejoong's questions continued.

"Obsessed with green when I was young."

"And your favorite food is..."

"Duck stew." They said at the same time. He finally felt Jae let go of his shirt and so he turned to face the other man.

Yunho was puzzled at what was happening but upon facing Jaejoong, he saw the other man's eyes well up, before suddenly breaking into tears. Worry automatically rose in Yunho.

"Why are you crying?" He was so concerned and was flustered at the sight. His eyes scanned his boyfriend’s face for clues as to what is causing his distress.

"Your sister... is Jihye?" The fair-skinned man kept crying. The tears showed no signs of stopping.

"That's her name... What's wrong? Is something hurting?" Yunho was starting to panic when Jaejoong suddenly began to laugh.

"Ahahaha!" His laugh was loud yet tears were still falling from his eyes.

"Have you gone mad?" Crying and laughing? Jaejoong must truly be a lunatic (a most beautiful lunatic).

"I... I... I've always loved you." Jae muttered while fighting through the tears, his eyes and nose already turned red.

What he said caught Yunho by surprise. "Is that a confession?" He couldn't clearly understand what was happening, but somehow, he understood what Jaejoong was saying.

You ever get that feeling when you stand on the same plane as someone and meet eye-to-eye, it was as if some great force tied and tugged at every limb of your existence? That's how it felt for Yunho the moment he laid his eyes on Jaejoong. And that's how it would feel for him since then.

Maybe he was the stubborn one who wouldn't admit, even after all the signs.

"Honestly..."

He lovingly looked at Jaejoong who was still crying. He then reached for the other’s trembling hand and gave it a gentle caress.

“The first time I saw you too... I think I already loved you."

 

 

end.