End

Touch My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongdae breezes into Kyungsoo’s life like the cool spring air, fragrant, refreshing and signalling better days to come. He transfers into the middle of the semester after his father had received a promotion at work, one that Kyungsoo soon finds out pays nicely enough that they're able to secure a beautiful but cosy house in the nicer part of the suburbs with a manicured lawn and picket fence, but more importantly, only two houses away from Kyungsoo’s.

He's a thin little thing - thick framed glasses, soft black curls, sharp tongue and curly lips. Kyungsoo merely glances as the teacher introduces him to the class and then watches as Jongdae smiles prettily and bows before trudging off to the only available seat, coincidentally the one right next to Kyungsoo in the back row. He gives the older a curt nod, not being one for overly social displays and Jongdae beams in return, even brighter than the blinding rays of sunlight streaming through the window and steadily creating a burning patch of skin on Kyungsoo’s arm.

It turns out that Jongdae, though incredibly intelligent (some might say he rivals Kyungsoo’s almost impeccable test scores), has a bit of a loud personality. After only a week of being deskmates and chemistry and choir partners, he bounds up to Kyungsoo with open arms only to have it slapped away every single time. “That hurts, man.” He whines, all pouty, fingers rubbing at the reddening spot, skin imprinted with the outline of Kyungsoo’s appendages. He hadn't realised it was possible for someone to have such sensitive skin and wonders why it fascinates him that Jongdae colours and bruises so easily.

“In case you haven’t realised, I hate touching.” Kyungsoo snaps, shoving his biology text into his locker and grabbing his manuscript. It's a common occurrence until Jongdae finally learns his lesson and settles for an excitable wave which Kyungsoo accepts with a half smile.

Touchiness aside, Jongdae is heard more often than seen. “Soo!” He whines, emphasising heavily on the oo when he's stumped on a particular calculus question. When the younger ignores the pitiful cry for help, Jongdae resorts to poking his arm until Kyungsoo’s head whips up like a cobra poised to attack. He immediately retracts his hands, a bright peal of laughter spilling from his lips and it's almost as annoying as his habit of touching if not for the fact that he looks breathtakingly beautiful with his eyes crinkled and bowed lips lifting even higher. Still, Kyungsoo shushes him, glares even, with murderous intent because not everybody is ing hearing impaired Jongdae but with the way you talk, we'll all get there soon enough. Jongdae chuckles lowly and whispers out an unapologetic sorry because they are in the library after all and the librarian is squinting over her ancient spectacles with a disgruntled expression as she monitors them. Kyungsoo loves the library and he'd like to keep his privilege to use the space as often as he can to get some studying done. Thankfully, after multiple stomach jabs, shin kicks and demonic stares, he tones down the intensity of his voice, saving it solely for choir practice and that weird gangly kid Chanyeol who suddenly thinks he can be part of their two man squad just because he's friendly with Jongdae.

Kyungsoo thinks the not. He's burning holes into Chanyeol's ugly, freakishly wide smile from across the lunch table they're seated at as he guffaws at something Jongdae says. Year two of highschool doesn't mean people can just start sitting with them and infiltrating their time. First, it had been Tiffany with her pretty smiles and sweet personality, always ruffling Jongdae's seemingly baby soft tendrils of now chocolatey brown hair. Kyungsoo had nothing against her. She was charming and polite and knew when to give Kyungsoo his space but that was just it. She gave Kyungsoo so much space that she took up all of Jongdae's until one day, he'd had to step in and do something. Jongdae had been a little taken aback when he’d expressed his dislike for girl hovering too much but he hadn't so much as complained. Just stammered out a bewildered and confused o-okay and that was the last of Tiffany Hwang, the nicest upperclassman Kyungsoo had ever met. He only felt mildly guilty after.

Now though, Chanyeol is here, again, for the second time, invading their usually quiet and comfortable lunch. Why Jongdae enjoys the large, clumsy idiot's presence is beyond him but he's quite ticked off because he'd planned on asking Jongdae for help with their organic chemistry assignment. Besides, Jongdae knows Kyungsoo hates general loudness and excitement. Kyungsoo grips his plastic fork with such intensity that the fragile thing snaps between his fingers. He imagines it's Chanyeol's toothpick body instead and smirks sinisterly.

Only then does Jongdae choose to look over, cheeks tinted a rosy red from all the laughing he'd done and eyes glistening with ecstasy. However it dulls immediately when his orbs fall on Kyungsoo’s brooding form and the younger wonders for a moment just what he looks like because even Chanyeol chokes on his laughter and leans back a little, fear glimmering in his irises. Yes, run Chan, you imbecile, he thinks until Jongdae gently calls out to him and asks him what's wrong. “You promised to help me with organic chem.” He supplies with a frown. Jongdae's face crumples immediately with guilt.

“Oh crap. I forgot, Soo. I'm so so-” but Kyungsoo holds up his hand, effectively shutting Jongdae up. He has to look away from his friend to keep his bearings intact because if he stares at those puppy eyes and the sad downward slope at the corners of Jongdae's lips, then he'll definitely cave in and Kyungsoo never caves in- maybe.

“I'm free this afternoon.” He states and then he's gathering his tray and leaving the two behind. Kyungsoo hadn't expected Jongdae to go the whole nine yards and beyond and outright invite him to his house. In their entire year of friendship, he'd never thought of going over to Jongdae's or inviting him over even though the older joked about it all the time, citing things like “I've even been to Chanyeol’s house! Imagine that, Chanyeol of all people! But not yours. When are you gonna let me in, Soo?”

 

 

Kyungsoo would like to think that he's made a lot of progress with Jongdae. For example, he lets Jongdae hug him when they both do well in tests. He's even lifted his ban on Jongdae making stupid jokes and has taken to joining him on random weekend outings to the park or community library or even the cinema on the rare occasion that Kyungsoo actually has interest in whatever is showing. This though, is on a whole new plane. He accepts nevertheless and timidly steps into the cosy house, greeted by Jongdae's mother who had returned early from work after her client cancelled an appointment. Her eyebrows shoot up in pleasant surprise the way Jongdae does and Kyungsoo understands where his friend gets his unique but captivating features from. He (fondly) tucks that piece of information at the back of his head as Mrs. Kim sends them off with the promise of cookies and drinks.

Jongdae's room is a shade of sky blue, covered in an array of anime and gaming posters lined up neatly along the walls. His furniture are all white and well-kept with the only dark item being a flat screen tv with a gaming console attached to it on a television stand. “Mi casa.” Jongdae states and then bursts into a fit of giggles. Kyungsoo looks up to see the older pointing at a Shingeki no Kyojin poster and rolls his eyes, continuing to scan the rest of Jongdae's belongings.

“So, what do you wanna do?” Jongdae questions easily, slipping off his school jacket and hanging it up.

“School work.” Kyungsoo deadpans. That's the whole purpose of him being here now.

“What about a game? We can play on my ps3.” Jongdae states hopefully and Kyungsoo doesn't have to turn around to know he's smiling cutely.

“I hate gaming. It's pointless.”

“What?” Jongdae splutters in disbelief. “Do Kyungsoo, you did not-” Jongdae pauses and then sighs. “Okay fine. Anime then?”

At this, Kyungsoo finally turns around. Jongdae's grin appears once more. “Not Naruto.” He snaps just as the older is about to open his mouth. Jongdae's lips pull a frown immediately. “What?” Kyungsoo questions. “I can't help it that I don't like generic, ty, overhyped anime. What else do you have?”

It's Jongdae's turn to roll his eyes but he doesn't give up. “Neon Genesis Evangelion?”

“No.”

“But Asuka’s -”

“I said no. Next.”

“The Monogatari Series?”

Kyungsoo shudders. “No.”

“One Piece?”

“ no, you tasteless .”

“Darker Than Black?”

Kyungsoo ponders for a moment before sighing. “How about I choose?” Jongdae shrugs in acquiescence. “Prince of Tennis.”

Jongdae goes slack-jawed for a moment like he had expected Kyungsoo to suggest Elfen Lied. “What the , no. Let's just study.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes for the millionth time that day before turning back to his observation. “Who's this?” He asks when he spots several picture frames of Jongdae and a boy seemingly no older than them with black hair and soft, puppy-like eyes. He has a pretty smile too and from the way he almost always has his arms wrapped around Jongdae while they're laughing, it seems that this boy is important to the older.

Jongdae pads over, having discarded his bag on the floor next to the bed. “Oh.” He replies, a gentle smile tugging at his lips as he stares at the picture, fingers unconsciously reaching out to brush over the frame. “That's Baekhyun. My best friend.”

The words feel like a punch to Kyungsoo’s gut, one that has all the air rushing from his lungs and leaves him crumpling over in pain. He swallows hard, throat suddenly dry. He's never heard of Baekhyun before. Jongdae's never mentioned having a best friend. Kyungsoo had thought- but then it doesn't matter what Kyungsoo thinks or thought because he didn't know about Baekhyun and Jongdae had hidden (intentionally or not) something as important as a best friend from him.

Jongdae spends the rest of the evening sprawled on his stomach on the bed, recounting adventures of him and Baekhyun, Baekhyun and him, two pre-school and eventually middle school kids against the world. And also best friends. They Skype almost every day and Kyungsoo sourly thinks, as he sits on Jongdae's desk chair, of the no phone calls ban he'd lifted nearly three months ago but Jongdae hasn't called him since.

When it's time for Kyungsoo to leave, they haven't even touched their school bags, Kyungsoo’s thick organic chemistry textbook begging to be filled with answers to questions he doesn't understand and Kyungsoo feeling similarly confused. He wonders if he was to go away, if Jongdae would miss him the way he craves Baekhyun's company desperately but doesn't dare voice the question to his friend, far less the answer to himself. Despite their failed attempt at productivity, they begin visiting each other's houses more often much to their parents’ pleasure. Kyungsoo’s mother especially fawns over Jongdae and he often has to pull the boy away from her cheek pinching, hair ruffling and general cooing embarrassment. They mostly do work or study together but sometimes they just laze around and talk about anything or nothing at all and Kyungsoo loves those days the most. It feels like he doesn't need an excuse to be in Jongdae's company.

 

 

It's on a Wednesday afternoon when he's strolling out of his Economics class, one of the few classes that they don't share, that he comes to the painful realisation that he may not be as important to Jongdae as the other is to him. He halts at the cafeteria entrance when he spots Jongdae's usual mop of bouncy brown curls at another bench with students Kyungsoo has only seen but never spoken to. Of course Jongdae would have other friends. He's bubbly and pretty and smart and people tend to gravitate towards him naturally. Something akin to panic grips him then. He's promised himself that he wouldn't venture there since the revelation of the glorious Byun Baekhyun but he can't help the niggling thoughts that make him question his relevance in Jongdae's life. In a heartbeat, he's sprinting up the stairs to the second floor and into the currently unoccupied music room shrouded in darkness. He finds a corner, and seats himself on the floor, trying to regulate his emotions. This is ridiculous. He's being ridiculous. Jongdae doesn't owe it to be friends with him exclusively. But there's a part of him that wants it to be just that. Jongdae and him, him and Jongdae.

It doesn't take long for someone to interrupt his mini meltdown. The telltale careless footsteps and the loud flinging open of the door makes Kyungsoo wish he could create a portal to hell just to throw people in. It's followed by the most ear-splitting, high pitched yet gravelly scream that has Kyungsoo groaning loud enough for Chanyeol to hear. Apparently it's all he needs to do because the taller is suddenly no longer afraid. “Oh, Kyungsoo! It's just you!” He laughs obnoxiously though there's still a waver in his voice. “I thought it was the scary Asian kid from that horror movie or something. I think I peed myself a little.” He chuckles loudly. Or maybe it's just the silence of the room making the sound magnify. And then, “Oh my god! Are you okay? Should I call Jongdae?” Concern and slight panic takes over his voice, makes him sound incredibly ridiculous and squeaky for such a deep voice and Kyungsoo automatically says yes if only to get Chanyeol to go away until the words finally sink in and he whips his head up from where it had been resting on his knees and yells out a rushed ‘no!’ lunging for Chanyeol and pulling him down, creating a mess of too long, bony limbs.

It turns out that Chanyeol is quite the company. He sits with Kyungsoo on floor, arms and thighs pressed together, and despite the hardness adding to his already lack of cushioning, doesn't complain. Chanyeol’s shoulder is large and warm and sturdy and it's impossible for Kyungsoo to not tip his head to the right and lean on him which Chanyeol doesn't seem to mind as he begins humming a vaguely familiar tune. The only time they speak is when Kyungsoo asks the name to which Chanyeol replies it's an ancient Chinese lullaby (Kyungsoo later remembers is actually Katy Perry's Teenage Dream).

He feels infinitely better after his time with Chanyeol. They hadn't said anything to each other. Kyungsoo had merely accepted Chanyeol’s hand up when the bell had rung, signalling the end of lunch and they walked to their respective classes together, giving each other small appreciative smiles when they parted ways. Needless to say, he has a newfound respect for the taller and he can only hope he forgives him for having treated him so cruelly all this time (though Chanyeol practically deserved it).

 

 

“Soo! Where were you at lunch?” Jongdae jogs up to him just as he's about to exit the school. Right. He'd forgotten they were supposed to walk home together.

“With Chanyeol.” He simply responds, noting the immediate furrow in Jongdae's brows and tightness in his lips.

“Chanyeol?” He questions slowly, almost annoyed. When Kyungsoo doesn't react, he continues. “Why?”

Something inside Kyungsoo snaps and for a moment, all he can think of is the fact that he can never be at Jongdae's level. “I'm allowed to have friends too.” He says coldly and walks ahead. They don't speak for the rest of the walk home.

They don't bring up that incident again and every time Chanyeol takes to sitting with them, Kyungsoo doesn't murder him with his eyes and Chanyeol is a little more restrained with his general loudness. If Jongdae notices the resolved hostility and traded smiles, he doesn't comment.

 

 

Sometimes Kyungsoo gets tired of Jongdae droning on and on about the magical wonders of Baekhyun but mostly, he just sits and listens and wonders if he could ever compete. His question is answered one week into summer vacation when none other than Byun Baekhyun waltzes into Jongdae's house while Kyungsoo is reading and Jongdae is playing on his DS. “Surprise motherer!” The boy screeches as he almost nearly kicks down the door. Kyungsoo’s book flies from his hand and he immediately goes into the offense and Jongdae's DS slips from between his fingers as he just sits there stupidly with his stupid pretty mouth hanging open stupidly (read: really ing cutely).

“B-Baek?” He eventually stammers as the other, now blonde unlike his pictures, walks up with a smug smirk and falls onto Jongdae, the two tumbling off the bed and onto the floor in a heap of limbs and giggles.

“It's been too long, innit?” Kyungsoo hears Baekhyun whisper because the bed is now blocking his view of the two and Jongdae doesn't respond but it's unmistakable, the emotions that had been swimming in his orbs and causing his voice to tremble. He feels like he's witnessing something he shouldn't. Something intimate that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter