Sleepover

Become Human

Seulgi is practically falling asleep at the register of the 7-11 she works at. It’s 2:45am, and pouring rain. Seulgi hasn’t seen a customer in hours. Her manager went out for a smoke 30 minutes ago, but Seulgi didn’t really question it, since it happens almost every night. The manager disappears for an hour or two, and comes back stoned out of his mind. He’s a good guy, though, she thinks. She kills time playing on her phone, scrolling through social media, playing a llama skiing game, and snapchatting her friends who are definitely asleep by now.

 

Seulgi would never admit it, but when a small girl burst into her store out of nowhere, she pees her pants a little bit.

 

Seulgi stands to address the situation, fearful that she’s going to be attacked and robbed.

 

The girl runs up to Seulgi, fear in her eyes. The girl actually is a very short woman. She’s in a heavy jacket, but looks soaked to the bone. Seulgi blushes at how pretty she is despite her current situation.

 

“Please you have to help me, I’m begging you,” the woman is panting, and she grabbs Seulgi’s hand with both of hers during the request.

 

Seulgi feels how cold the woman’s hands are from being outside, and can't take the look in her eyes anymore.

 

“Okay, how can I help?” Seulgi asks, cautiously.

 

“Let me hide here, please. A man is chasing me,” the woman’s voice is quivering with every word.

 

Seulgi can’t not help her. “, okay, uhm. Follow me.”

 

Seulgi runs to the back exit, “This way.”

 

Seulgi leads the woman outside, and towards her car. “Hide in here, okay? You should be able to stay here for a while before suffocating. If I see the man I’ll tell him I didn’t see anything. I’ll come get you once my manager gets back, but I have to go, I can’t leave the store alone.”

 

The woman firmly grabs Seulgi’s arm, “Thank you.”

 

The woman gets into the back seat of Seulgi’s car, laying down to not be noticed. Seulgi locks the car, and rushes back inside. She sees a very large man walking through the isles. Seulgi quietly walks to the register, trying to wipe the rain water off of her arms with her hands.

 

“Hey, you,” the large man now hovering above Seulgi like a giant.

 

“Hello, sir. How can I help you tonight?” Seulgi tries to say as calmly as possible.

 

“Why weren’t you here when I first arrived? Why are you soaking wet?” The man asks very sternly. Seulgi knows she has to be very careful with her words to not upset this man.

 

“I heard loud noises out back, and went to go check it out. Turns out it was raccoons getting into the trash. Weird they’re out in this weather, am I right?” Seulgi laughs awkwardly.

 

The man stands there silently, sizing up Seulgi with his eyes. “Have you seen anything strange?” he asks after several long seconds.

 

“No, I haven’t even had a customer in hours. The weather must be keeping people inside. Well, it’s also a Thursday at 3am, so.” Seulgi gives the man a dumb smile, hoping that he’d finally leave.

 

“Thank you for your time,” the man says, and turns around to leave the store.

 

It isn’t until he’s walking away that she notices the knife in the man’s hand, and the hand gun on his hip. Seulgi lets out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding, and slumps against the counter.

 

“God, what just happened?”

 

Seulgi hears the back door open, and sees her manager stumble in.

 

“Hey, Seul.”

 

“Hey, Chris, uhm. Can you cover the store for a bit? I’m gonna go ahead, and take my break now.”

 

“Sure, girl. Be safe out there. I saw a really scary man a couple minutes ago.”

 

“Sure thing,” Seulgi says walking swiftly to the back door.

 

She unlocks her car, and gets into the front seat. She turns on the car, blasting the heater to warm herself, and the woman in the back seat up.

 

“He’s gone. He came into the store and asked me a bunch of questions, but he left.”

 

The woman in the back seat sits up, but doesn’t speak. Seulgi turns to look at her, the light from the screen in the dash puts a blue glow on her somber face.

 

“Uhm, what’s your name?” Seulgi asks, still staring at the woman.

 

“Irene.”

 

“Irene, is there anywhere I can take you? Somewhere safe from that man?” Seulgi wants to ask why that man was after her, but figures now isn’t the time to ask.

 

“No. No, I have nowhere to go,” Irene begins to cry into her hands.

 

Seulgi knows it’s crazy, and her roommate is going to be pissed, but Seulgi knows what she has to do.

 

“You can stay with me, if you want.”

 

Irene looks up at Seulgi, her eyes brightening ever so slightly with hope, “Really? Are you sure it wouldn’t be too much trouble?”

 

“No, don’t worry about it. I’ll just be your temporary home until you can find somewhere to stay.”

 

Irene wraps her arms around Seulgi’s neck, it’s a little awkward since they’re stuffed in a car, but Irene starts crying into Seulgi’s shoulder, “Thank you so much. You don’t know how much this means to me.”

 

Seulgi clears , “Uhm, I’ll take you to my place now. Just a heads up, I have a roommate, and she’s kind of opposed to new people so she might be a little upset I brought you with me, but don’t worry, she’s nice once you get to know her. She’ll warm up to you.”

 

Irene pulls away, giving Seulgi a smile, and leans back into the seat.

 

Seulgi turns on the radio, and pulls out of the parking lot. “Sorry Chris, I’m probably not coming back tonight,” Seulgi mumbles to herself.

 

 

They arrive at Seulgi’s house in a really bougie neighborhood. Irene is a bit shocked by how large Seulgi’s house is.

 

“You work at 7-11, and live in a house like this?” Irene asks, sincerely.

 

“I’m, I guess you could say, kind of famous. I also have a roommate who is famous. I just work at 7-11 for… fun. Uhm, wait here for a second.”

 

Seulgi turns off the car, and steps out. She squints her eyes from the rain. She opens the trunk of her car, pulling out an umbrella. Walking over to the passenger side, Seulgi opens the door for Irene, coving her from the rain with her umbrella.

 

“Oh, you didn’t have to do that,” Irene pauses, “I never got your name.”

 

They walk up to the front door, which has an overhang. Seulgi closes the umbrella, shaking the water off.

 

“My name is Seulgi.”

 

“Thank you, again, Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi just awkwardly smiles at her, and goes to unlock the front door.

 

Loud clicking, and a girl angerly mumbling can be heard echoing through the house when they walk in. “Geez, she’s still awake?”

 

Seulgi closes the door behind them, and locks it.

 

“Here let me take your coat,” Seulgi reaches for Irene’s jacket, helping her peel the wet clothes off of her arms.

 

Seulgi holds the sopping jacket, figuring just hanging it on the coat rack wouldn’t ever dry it. “Follow me.”

 

Seulgi leads Irene through a large living room, and kitchen to a room in the back left corner of the house. The room has a modern, minimalist design, but there are colorful pictures on the wall, and a large stuffed bear on the bed. Irene figures it’s Seulgi’s bedroom. Seulgi opens a door on the left wall. Inside is a large bathroom. A glass walled shower is in the corner, a large marbled sink counter to the left with giant circular mirrors above them. An indoor hot tub is to the right. Seulgi turns it on.

 

“Go ahead, and take a shower, and then sit in the hot tub for a bit. Don’t want you to die of hypothermia. I’ll be in the living room if you need me. I’ll leave my bedroom door closed, so feel free to rummage through my closet for some clothes, and change into something comfortable. Come out when you’re done, and I’ll make you some hot tea, and snacks.”

 

Irene nods at Seulgi, unable to express how grateful she is.

 

Seulgi closes the bathroom door, and walks out of her bedroom. She isn’t ready to tell her roommate, Yeri, the news.

 

Seulgi decides she’ll tell Yeri in the morning, it sounds like she’s busy probably streaming, anyway.

 

Seulgi throws Irene's jacket into the dirty clothes hamper, and patiently waits in the kitchen, heating up water for tea, and making turkey sandwiches for her, and Irene.

 

After about 45 minutes, Irene walks out of Seulgi’s room in pink and white striped pajamas. Seulgi feels a pang in her chest from how good Irene looks in her pajamas. God, you ert get your head out of the gutter, Seulgi thinks to herself, shaking her head.

 

“Here are sandwiches, and tea.”

 

Irene sits on a barstool at the island in the kitchen. She silently eats the sandwich Seulgi made for her. Seulgi feels tiredness taking over her body, expressing itself in a massive yawn. She rests her head on her hand, leaning on the counter. Seulgi watches Irene sip the tea, scrunching her nose because it’s hot. Irene finally notices Seulgi staring at her, raising an eyebrow, “Can I help you?”

 

“Hmm? Oh, no. I’m just tired, sorry. I spaced out.” Seulgi stands, stretching he arms into the air.

 

“I’ll make up the couch for you, I need to head to sleep soon,” Seulgi notices Irene looks suddenly flustered.

 

“Seulgi, I- this is a weird request, but…” Irene trails off, her cheeks turning red.

 

“But?” Seulgi says, probing Irene to finish her thought.

 

“Could I sleep with you? Like in your bed? I’m just still really scared after what happened today…”

 

Seulgi feels her ears getting hot, and something weird grows in her stomach, “Uhm, yeah, sure. My bed is pretty big, we can both fit.”

 

Irene stands up, and walks over to Seulgi. Neither of them are able to say anything, awkwardness sealing their lips.

 

Seulgi shuts off the lights in the kitchen, and walks into her bedroom, Irene following close behind.

 

“Go ahead, and get in bed, I’m going to clean up.”

 

Irene listens, getting into the bed, and curling up under the blanket.

 

Seulgi can’t believe all of this happened. She grabs some pajamas, and goes into the bathroom to change, and brush her teeth. She looks at herself in the mirror, her eyes are a bit red from being tired. Seulgi isn’t sure she made the right choice. This woman needed her, though. She rubs her eyes, thinking it’s too late now. She’s still curious about Irene’s backstory, though.

 

She walks into the bedroom where it seems Irene is already asleep. Seulgi climbs into the bed on the opposite side. After she gets comfortable, and closes her eyes, she hears Irene’s soft voice, “Thank you, again, Seulgi.”

 

“It’s no problem, Irene.” Seulgi basically whispers, too tired to talk any louder.