One

The intermittence of Death and Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gahyeon stared emptily ahead of her, no minding any business happening around. She just wishes to go home, and just lay down in her bed for the rest of her life, but the endless reports flowing her way are an obstacle to that purpose. Such bad luck is what she calls her day routine.

 

One would say that she is lucky. Her dad is a police officer, with some good influences, that got her an easy job in the national ministry of justice, in the section of intelligence and crime policy, as an assistant of sorts, or a secretary as she likes to call her job. It is an easy job, just doing some reports of the crime numbers in the nation, or some documents about criminals, a few files for the national police chief, and as a reward, a good pay at the end of the month. She even has a good number of days of leave at her name, and she will have the chance of retiring early. Her father does have some influence on some big bosses around.  Her former classmates kind of hate her, because they actually work their asses off to get a decent pay or actually are jobless, and she kinda blessed. What she can do? Her father did all the job, she just comply with the demands.

 

Her fingers are cramped because of ticking hours and hours at her personal computer. So, maybe a little break wont hurt a fly. It’s late anyway.

 

The clock on the wall marks “Ten o’clock” at the night.

 

“I sure worked today” She whispered to no one, because in her section almost everyone already got home by now. Another lucky thing, is that she lives near the building in a nice set of apartments, a gift from her mother for all her hard work and actually graduating from college.

 

There’s only silence there.

 

Thank God, Gahyeon is a big girl now, because when she was younger,she actually believed tales about ghosts. She now snorts at the thought.

 

Her boss’s office’s light is off. Maybe she can go home now, is just a matter of a few last things, that she can do in the morning.

The janitor appeared jamming to an eighties English song, humming under her breath with her blue big jumper and white snapback. For the love of her nice father, she cant remember the name of the person.

 

 

“Oh, someone’s still here” The janitor stopped, a few steps from Gahyeon. The girl before Gahyeon smiled nicely, and began to wipe some floors, steadily. “Hey, fellow, won’t ya get home?”

 

 

Gahyeon snapped from her reverie as she heard those slurring words. The short girl blinked twice before reading the band at the chest of the janitor.

 

 

“Jiu?” She wondered out loud “Is that your name?”

 

 

Jiu smiled again, her feet shuffled at the rhythm of the music.

 

 

“Strange, huh?” Her voice had a high pitch and she was always smiling, it was kinda creepy for Gahyeon because nobody actually smiled in there, there were so many dark secrets about the nation to be happy to know it “It’s kinda a nickname, fellow”

 

 

Gahyeon mustered a polite smile, always trying for the easy route.

 

 

“I get it” Even if she didn’t, she tried to never contradict anyone “Nice to meet you, Jiu. I am Gahyeon”

 

Jiu whistled a happy tune, and got her broom.

 

 

“Nice to meet ya” Her words were slow and slurish kinda, almost as if Jiu is perpetually drunk, even if her eyes are clear and sober, must be her usual accent. “It’s pretty late, and everyone has left, except for the personal security and my fellow members. You should go home, too, it’s getting dangerous these days. Too many angry people around”

 

 

Gaehyon’s curiosity was picked at the interesting choice of words.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter