Chapter Four

The Fourth Sin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter 4


 

Eunjung hadn’t known that it was possible to feel more unnerved and safer than usual at the same time, but it was apparently possible with Byun Baekhyun trailing silently behind her.

 

On one hand, his presence genuinely bothered her. She’d seen what he had been capable when he had dealt with the previous soldier, and apart from that, when she’d stole the gun from him, but no matter how much Eunjung thought about it, she couldn’t make sense of his actions unless he was literally two different people. And if that were really the case, it had a good and bad side: at least she could technically trust him, but if the same side that had nearly killed her less than thirty minutes ago came out, there was nothing she could do.

 

It was slightly more comforting walking through camp with Baekhyun, because, for one, he actually knew where they were going, and because he was at least somewhat skilled. There was only so much she could do on her own, and as long as Baekhyun didn’t turn on her, she was much better off than she was before.

 

After a couple minutes of quiet walking, she turned towards him again. He was leading her to another door, Eunjung knew, but where was still a mystery, and so far, Baekhyun hadn’t said anything. She remained quiet for a little while longer before it got too much, and abruptly, turned to look at him.

 

“Hey,” she started. “Where are we going?”

 

“The barracks,” he replied. “I have an extra uniform in there, and you’re not going to get around anywhere in camp even if you’re with another soldier.”

 

Eunjung frowned at him. “You know, Baekhyun,” she started. “You’re going through an awful lot to help someone who you met half an hour ago. And I also stole your weapon and attacked you, so honestly, you have no reason to be helping me right now. I don’t get it.”

 

He stopped walking. “I’m not doing this for you,” he said slowly. “I can’t explain it all right now, but…” he hesitated. “I have my reasons too.”

 

“Don’t we all?”

 

He paused at that, contemplating, then shrugged. “I suppose,” Baekhyun replied, then he raised a hand and pointed. “See that building right there? I have to grab everything I can from there and then I’ll be back. Wait somewhere safe and then I’ll be out in five to ten minutes. Then we’ll head to the exit.”

 

As if that plan wasn’t rough already, the exit was not a specified place. The only thing Eunjung even knew about it was that it wasn’t the main gate everyone else seemed to be going through.

 

“Where’s this exit?” she asked.

 

He blinked, then jerked his chin in the other direction. “Over there. That big building. Stay here, I’ll be back.”

 

The fact that they were splitting apart already after a grand total of being together for five minutes didn’t seem very ideal, but as rough as his plan was, he at least had a solid start in finding her a uniform so she would be able to move around the camp easier. Leaning against the corner of the wall, she watched as Baekhyun’s form disappeared behind a building, his footsteps already surprisingly silent before she was left alone in the camp once more.

 

The place was frightfully quiet, and that had been Eunjung’s first thought when she’d woken up too. It was almost painfully obvious that something was awry—there was no way it could be so quiet for so long, it didn’t make sense. Even with a room of a hundred or so prisoners they had managed to maintain the silence, so quiet that it was almost disturbing, like something was compressing sound.

 

Not that it was new. It had been years since Pandora’s box was opened and Eunjung was nearly accustomed to it, but part of her could still remember when blue skies told of good days, when parents actually let their children out to play in the streets because it was safe. That was a lifetime ago, really, something she couldn’t exactly get back no matter how much she wanted it.

 

She glanced at the sky. Maybe blue skies didn’t mean it would be a good day. Maybe clouds were better, because it was easier to travel unnoticed in the rain than when the sky was spotless, but they were still pretty. At least the sunsets still existed, and the sunrises. It wasn’t all gone.

 

Pulling her knees to her chest, she turned her gaze fully to the sky. The stars were beginning to come out now that the light of the sun had faded, twinkling specks outlined against dark, dark blue. The sky didn’t change, and that she could appreciate. Despite everything, they remained the same.

 

For a long while, Eunjung stared up. She had initially wanted to sit by herself, sort out her thoughts about Baekhyun and try to deduce from what she had seen of him (which was limited) and everything she knew of him (which was even more limited), but it seemed to be a problem that didn’t have an immediately, reachable solution if she tried to rush it. She wasn’t going to get out of the camp without Baekhyun’s help, and if she didn’t get out of the camp, it was only a matter of time before she was caught. And then probably killed, if they were even merciful. So really, technically speaking, going with Baekhyun was the best choice she had because while it was uncertain, at least there was a chance of getting out.

 

She soon stopped thinking about the topic in favour of staring at the stars.

 

It was odd how everyone would be seeing the same night sky. Briefly, she wondered about her family—she’d lost track of time and how many months had passed since she’d last seen them, but it was still a lingering thought. Where were they, how were they doing, were they thinking of her also? Maybe one of them was also staring at the same set of constellations, wondering, uncertain, hoping.

 

Or maybe they weren’t. Towns and even cities massacred, places that once had millions of people living there were abandoned. Maybe it wasn’t possible that they were still out there. Just an incomparable amount of people amidst the others killed; did it really make a difference? She’d seen two others killed before her eyes without blinking just an hour before.

 

Eunjung shook her head. There was no point thinking about it. It had become a habit, really; putting aside thoughts when she decided that stressing over it wouldn’t be any help. Part of her hoped; the other was too scared to. She prefered simply not thinking about it.

 

She wasn’t sure how much more time passed as she sat in the shadows, waiting. Part of her expected Baekhyun to come back at anytime with a group of soldiers, sneer at her for being so gullible and believing him. Would you really trust someone like him?

 

Apparently so, she thought drily. It’s all or nothing.

 

Baekhyun, in fact, did return, but it was by himself. His cap was still pulled low over his eyes, but he was holding a bundle of something in his arms and he had apparently picked up a backpack, which was slung over his shoulder. Eunjung stood up as he rounded the corner and halted in front of her.

 

“The camp’s still pretty empty right now,” he started. “I think it’ll be a while before anybody returns to the barracks, but we should probably get going anyway. Here’s the uniform.”

 

Eunjung accepted the bundle of cloth from him, eyeing it. So far, Baekhyun hadn’t done anything suspicious at all, which was, as discrediting as it might’ve been to him, surprisingly. She watched him warily, but he still seemed genuine enough, so she unfolded the clothing he’d given her.

 

“It’s probably slightly large,” Baekhyun informed. “But no one’s going to stop you to check, so for now, you’ll pass off fine.”

 

Eunjung could make out a coat and a pair of pants in the dim light. “Am I supposed to change here?” she asked.

 

Baekhyun shifted. “Well…”

 

She raised an eyebrow at him. He frowned, scanned the area, then turned around. “Hurry, then.”

 

Deciding that there was utterly no point of him doing anything absurd at that point, Eunjung hurriedly changed. The pants were slightly too long, and she had to roll the l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter