Chapter 1

Volunteer Service

(Author’s Note: Hey :) I decided to write this since I’ve been on summer break for a month now and it’s been very boring I wanted something to do. I came up with this idea randomly and it’s still developing so hope you enjoy.)

 

“Hoseok you realize if you don’t do volunteer service you can graduate, right?” The advisor at my university was looking me dead in the eye, or at least trying because I was looking anywhere but at her.

“You know, I meant to. Got busy.” I replied staring really intently at the certificates on the wall.

“You need it to graduate.”

I sighed. It’s not that I didn’t want to volunteer, but I’m a pretty busy person. I got to university full time and on several days during the week, I teach dance at the local dance school. The other days I dedicate to studying. Also, I had just landed an internship at the entertainment company BigHit (I start next week!). I want to be a professional choreographer. There was no time for volunteering at all.

“Hoseok do you hear me?”

I definitely hadn’t, but I nodded anyway so she would stop asking questions. I put on a huge smile for her, too, so she didn’t think I was being rude.

“Great! You only have to go on Tuesdays for an hour for 8 weeks. You can get the volunteering out of the way this first semester that way your last semester will be free and you can focus of graduating.”

What was she talking about? I’m doing what now?

“W-what?” I asked and she handed me a paper about some dog shelter I guess she thought I should volunteer at. A dog shelter wouldn’t be too bad. I have a dog named Mickey that lives at my parents house and I don’t get to see him often.

I ended up deciding to do it since an hour a week wasn’t too bad. It would still give me lots of time to focus of my dream.

 

“I’m home!” I yelled to my roommate, Kim Seokjin when I walked in our apartment. Seokjin and I met the first day of my freshman year of highschool when some loser Sophomore was trying to mess with me. Seokjin was a Junior and quite popular. He told the guy off and helped me through the rest of the day. We became inseparable after that. We didn’t end up going to the same university, but they were close by each other so we decided once I started university to move in with each other. But let me tell you. I didn’t realize how much of a struggle it would be. Seokjin here is a huge believer in ‘true love’ and by that I mean, he comes home with a new ‘man of his dreams’ every couple weeks or so and then the guy breaks up with him once he realizes Seokjin actually wants commitment. I’m not going to lie, Seokjin is very attractive, but I figure it’s more unfortunate for him since all these guys just want him for a quick and nothing more. It gets on my every last nerve how people treat him.

“How’d it go today?” Seokjin asked from our couch where he was all sprawled out.

I explained my predicament and Seokjin just nodded.

“You remember I had to do volunteer at some office? You should be considered lucky. I still can’t look at copy machines the same way.”

I just sighed and sat next to him. “What about you? Any luck?”

Seokjin graduated from school hoping to become a famous actor. The fact that he’s still living with me in our ty apartment after 1 year should show you that it’s not working quite as quickly as he hoped. He’s been in a couple commercials. Those face wash companies love him because he’s such a look for their brand.

“Well I had an audition for a minor role in a historical drama. The role is recurring thought so if I can get this, it would be amazing for my career.”

“That’s amazing! I’m so proud of you!” I said and wrapped my arms around him, I also took the chance to ask him what he would be making us for dinner in his ear. He just rolled his eyes and pushed me away laughing.

 

By the time it was finally Tuesday I had nearly forgotten about the dog shelter I was supposed to be volunteering at today. However, I ended up standing in front of it after school in and sighed deeply before stepping in. I walked up the receptionist who was on her phone at a desk.

“Uh Hi. My name is Jung Hoseok I’m volunteering here today.” I told her and she smiled at me.

“Nice to meet you Hoseok! I’m Kim Jisoo” She told me and then started to call over one of the workers. “Min Yoongi! Can you show this volunteer around?”

Min Yoongi has the prettiest lips I’ve ever seen and just by looking at him for the first time I was extremely intrigued. When he walked up to me, he was a tad shorter and had to look up at me.

“I’m Min Yoongi.” He said and then turned around immediately and beckoned me to follow. His tour was very straight forward, telling me how everything was as simply as possible.

“Do you have experience with dogs?” He asked while he was showing me each of the dogs and telling me how to interact with them.

“My dog, Mickey, lives with my parents.” I told him and he nodded.

“I have a dog named Holly. She’s very cute.” He said and then continued talking about the dogs in the shelter.

You could tell he really loves dogs. He would give them little smiles as we walked by or he was say hello to them. And he knew so much about their personalities it was like he was treating each one as his child, and I loved it.

“You’re really cute, you know.” I told him and he continued petting the dog he was paying more attention to then me.

“Oh.” He replied and started walking again.

At the end of the tour, Yoongi asked me if I understood everything and was about to walk away from me when I pulled him back.

“Can I shadow you for the rest of my time? I’m still a bit confused.” I lied. Quite honestly it was very easy and I only had 30 minutes left, but I wanted to spend as much time as I possibly could with the guy in front of me.

“I guess.” He answered and walked over to one of the older dogs to put more water in her bowl.

“How old are you?” I asked as I watched him.

“22.” He responded.

“You’re older than me! I’m only 21. I’m at the performing arts university down the road!”

“Cool.”

“Do you only work here? Do you go to university also?”

“No.”

“Where else do you work?”

“A place.”

“What do you do?”

“Things.”

Me trying to be conversational with him was getting absolutely nowhere. I was worried he hated me, but there’s no possible way he could hate me after only like 45 minutes of knowing me.

“My dream is to be a choreographer.” I told him trying to start up something again.

“Nice.”

“What is your biggest dream?”

“I’m already doing it.”

“Working with dogs?”

“No.”

“Talking with me???”

“Obviously not…”

The ‘obviously’ proved to me he had to be a bit self aware of the way he was acting towards me, but I was not about to give up.

“Are you dating anyone?” I asked after a moment of silence.

“Would you look at that, your hour here of volunteering is up. Time for you to leave.”

I was exhilarated. That was the most I’d heard him talk since I had gotten here. I know I shouldn’t have been so excited by hearing that, but his voice is so nice sounding. It sounds the way wearing real silk pajamas feels. So smooth like milk chocolate melting and as if it would taste like chocolate on strawberries. The way a sweet white wine tastes after a long day.

“Yum.” I said, not really thinking.

“Y-yum??”

“Your voice sounds really nice.

“You need to go.”

“You should be a singer.”

“Jung Hoseok you need to leave now.”

I HALTED. As if HEARING his voice wasn’t enough, the way my name fell off those sweet lips in that smooth voice of his was doing things to me.

“Can I have your phone number since I’ll be volunteering here?”

“No, see you next week.”

And with that, I was standing back outside the dog shelter with a new goal. Suddenly volunteering there wasn’t that bad of an idea at all.

“Seokjin I’ve met the man of my dreams.” I said, which sounded extremely ironic because usually I’m the one hearing that from him.

“Use protection.”

“No, no. Not yet anyway. He, well, he kind of hates me I think.”

Seokjin turned around and just looked at me. “Were you being too upfront? He might be straight.”

“There’s no way those lips are meant for a womans.”

 

Min Yoongi. He’s all I could think about. My dance students the following day even asked if something was bothering me because I was so out of it. What’s even worse was I begin my internship the next day. I really had to get my act together before I got to BigHit. That famous idol trio group BTS is from that company. The three of them are amazing dancers and I was hoping to be able to work with them. I had talked to their manager, Kim Namjoon, over phone previously and it seemed I would be able to watch them practice for a bit. But how was I going to focus at all when all I could think of was what Yoongi’s mouth would look like in various situations? Or what his voice would sound like if he spoke right up against my ear.

I looked at the BigHit building. It wasn’t too big, but BTS was really their only group. That’s probably why I got the internship. I actually had tried with the big three, but never heard back. I took a deep breath and walked in. Namjoon met me inside. He was very young. He actually looked about my age.

“Y-you’re Kim Namjoon???” I asked unsure.

“Yes! Nice to meet you! Jung Hoseok, right?”

“I don’t mean to be rude, we only just met, but you look like you’re my age!”

“I’m 21, but I graduated university a couple years early and became BTS’s assistant manager before taking on the full position this year.”

“You must be super smart.”

Namjoon just laughed. This guy was truly amazing. He started to give me a tour and bring me around the building. He introduced me to a lot of staff members who I might end up working with.

The tour ended in a main room where there were tables a microwave and a coffee machine.

“This is kind of like a break room or a place where everyone goes to hang out and make decisions. Oh, there’s someone else here I need you to meet.”

We walked over to the coffee machine where there was a guy standing. A guy who looked way too familiar…

“Hey, I need you to meet the new intern.” Namjoon said gently putting his hand on the guy’s shoulder. My heart was racing.

When he turned around to face me, my intuition had been right.

“Jung Hoseok?” Min Yoongi said, staring at me, his eyes wide.

“Nice to see you again, Yoongi. Looks like we’ll be spending a lot more time together.”